Long-term insurance on an English registered car

Hoddy

My dearly beloved is already in France with our car. The insurance is almost due and he can find no-one who will insure it for more than 90 days in France. Neither of us can really remember if this 90 day limit has been there before but we are fairly urgently in need of a UK insurance company that will allow more than 90 days in France.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience please ?

Hoddy

If its an older vehicle or not worth a lot of money I would not be concerned, all insurances issued in any EU country give you third party risk cover across the whole of Europe for the duration of the Policy without any time limits, look at the territorial limits.

What they do however is limit the full Policy cover to certain time limits typically 60 days, all the more reason to only choose 3rd party cover.

Others will be along with companies that give longer limits or  no limits but its an ever changing situation, SAGA and L&V spring to mind.

Further to Chancer's post, it also may make a difference if the car is to be abroad for more than 31 consecutive days, so you need to be clear about that aspect as well.

We use a broker called Bridle Insurance - easy to find them on the internet and they have given us very competitive insurance quotes catering for our needs.

Be careful with SAGA. I found to my surprise 4 years ago that they no longer give all year round protection, at least on the fully comp' policy that I had with them for a few years.

I only noticed that when I read the small print.

3rd party cover is still OK as previously stated.

[quote user="Hoddy"]I think that this is what's happened to us Vette although we weren't insured with SAGA.

I've got a horrible suspicion that we've probably been illegal for a few years.

Hoddy[/quote]

You are NOT illegal - it is just that they would perhaps not have paid out for your own losses, just those of third parties. As stated above, your policy is valid throughout the EU for the minimum required risks in the country in which any incident occurs (ie usually 3rd party risks) for the whole term of your policy. The limitation in time ONLY applies to those risks in excess of the minimum 3rd party risks - ie your own losses which would normally be covered under the comprehensive part of the policy but to which an overseas time limitation is applied by UK insurance companies.

For completely self serving purposes UK insurers like to perpetuate the myth that you are only insured for the 30/60/90 days of foreign travel your particular policy permits but as said all that happens after that period is that your cover reverts to the minimum required in the country in which you are actually driving.

Some even write clauses in their T&C's but they are contrary to the EU directive on motor insurance therefore both illegal and unenforceable.

• 1 month later...
All insurance policies must include third party road risk in all EU and EU associated countries that's law.

You can request for EU cover on your policy for up to 30/60/90/180 days depending on the company to the level of cover stated on the policy (e.g. Comprehensive) .

Your insurers are within their right to cancel a policy if they find out you are abroad longer then their allowed period if you have not disclosed the trip to them. As an example if you have not advised your insurers and you are abroad and have a accident they can cancel the policy while you are abroad and leave you stranded.

Its always best to have the right policy for you. It may cost a little more then a cheap online policy but you will have the cover you need.

[quote]All insurance policies must include third party road risk in all EU and EU associated countries that's law.

You can request for EU cover on your policy for up to 30/60/90/180 days depending on the company to the level of cover stated on the policy (e.g. Comprehensive) .

Your insurers are within their right to cancel a policy if they find out you are abroad longer then their allowed period if you have not disclosed the trip to them. As an example if you have not advised your insurers and you are abroad and have a accident they can cancel the policy while you are abroad and leave you stranded.

Its always best to have the right policy for you. It may cost a little more then a cheap online policy but you will have the cover you need.[/quote]

says the man who signed up to the forum specifically to sell insurance.

Beat it, sunshine.

[quote user="dave21478"]says the man who signed up to the forum specifically to sell insurance.

Beat it, sunshine.

[/quote]And who would buy insurance from somebody who's talking out of his derrière anyway !

x2 Dave, shove off [:P]