Flip-flops?

Jonzjob

As was asked on the lunchtime news yesterday to which the answer is yes and no.

Technically flip-flops are considered to be footwear and that is what the law says is necessary for driving but then ...

It depends on the policeman who has stopped you and the circumstances for the stoppage. If you have caused an accident because your flip-flop became entangled in the brake or the accelerator you are in the wrong.

There was an interesting point that, in tests, it was found that switching from one pedal to another was slower when wearing 'tongs'.

So, expect them to be banned anytime soon.

Edit: I tried to put a confused, wry-faced smiley but cannot, so you will have to imagine one.

No, but you can still be done for it if it causes an accident.

AMENDE - Les tongs en soi ne sont pas interdites par le Code de la route. Mais si les forces de l'ordre les considèrent comme une source de gêne pour conduire, elles peuvent vous verbaliser. Vous pouvez cependant contester.

So from that Lehaut they are not illegal and that's a definate maybe [:-))]

Ta for the gen folks [:D]

Edit : - On thinking about it then any kind of footware that could get caufgt up anywhere and ce found to be the cause would be frowened upon? Open backed sandals for instance?

A good friend of ours always drives barefooted. Nowt to go wrong there?

If I wear a pair of what you might call "standard" sandals, ie with a back, I find I am not in control - the backs are loose-ish, and I have to actually move my foot around to put it on the pedal.  On the other hand, if I wear my fitflops (a very special type of flipflop, which is designed by chiropodists etc which does not move around, and is about the only sandal I can now wear comfortably), I am in control, and because of how they fit they do not come off.  I need a slight heel to let me reach most pedals comfortably, and these fitflops do just that.

Having said that, for long journeys I would tend to wear something else, more shoe-like, but for me the most important thing is that I can "feel" the pedals, and control the car.

Laws are sometimes an ass, but then, probably, so are a lot of drivers!

I presume you meant in a car. As bikers we are constantly appalled by what others wear and don't wear. The same "law" applies to us too. I have seen bikers wearing sandals and even flip flops. Been overtaken at 140 by pillion passengers wearing wife beaters. Have also seen picutures of flip flop wearing feet that have been dragged down the road under a bike. Much worse than a fine :)

A racing boot or shoe is very close and tight fitting but with a very thin flexible sole, its the next best thing to having thick soles on your feet which is you had walked/ran barefoot all your life you would have, wearing them you can really feel the modulation and loadings/feedback of the pedals, being narrow they enable you to heel & toe.

I guess the closest street footwear would be old fashioned plimsolls.

I have some racing shoes from the late 90's that are not fireproof or FIA approved yet they are made by Sparco a renowned racewear manufacturer, back then for a short while they were à la mode and I bought mine cheap when they became passé, cant use them for racing but they are great for track days.

I think any man that wears flip flops should be (in)humanely destroyed.

I've driven in Birkenstock sandals virtually exclusively for over 20 years and, I've never once had any difficulty nor had then slide off the pedals or off my feet etc. etc. , nothing nada.

Forced to wear 'proper' shoes I'd be more of a risk of having an accident not less so I'll take my chances and pay the fine - then carry on regardless.

[img]http://cdn3.sarenza.net/static/_img/productsV4/0000104293/MD_0000104293_217971_09.jpg[/img]

Plastic beachy type flip-flops, which is what the term really means, are something else and I agree are entirely unsuitable and I would never contemplate driving in such things, nor be seen dead in them in the first place !

The sort I wear are something else entirely and as I say have never caused me any problems whatsoever, and I might mention that in UK at least my typical annual mileages were usually between 2 and 3x the nominal national average which in those days stood at around 12,000 - and driving more different vehicles than I could possibly enumerate.

ABF go boil your head [:P]

This thread has given me the best laugh ever on this Forum.

Wife Beater (taken from the Urban Dictionary)

form fitting white ribbed tank top worn by men; looks good on well-built fellas, pathetic on skinny fellas, and disgusting on fat beer bellied fellas.

or

a very tight, white tank top that is ribbed in texture. this style of shirt is usually found on overweight white guys hailing from the trailer courts. unmistakeable markings of bbq sauce or chew spit on the front and smelling of old style beer and excessive perspiration. the wearer can be found at any type of festival which involves his toothless relatives working the carnival rides.

Also featured in Rab C Nesbit, with optional jacket.

My sandals of choice:

I loved the comment "I was always told and I have always taught my youngsters the same"  - how deliciously French [:P]

I was advised , by a few enlightened people, dont automatically believe what you are told, ask why, if the person doesnt know then try for yourself (assuming not something stupid like jumping off a cliff) it is what makes me so unpopular with the French!

Who is this Maddy that they are all on?

Do you wear socks with yours ANO?

Chancer, what you are wearing is not a flip flop.....it's got an ankle strap

And if your comment refers to mine, then you may quote the whole thing....having someone you know in an accident because of inappropriate footwear tends to make the point...

If you have ever moved your foot back and the shoe hasn't come with it, you'll get the picture....

Since my hip started playing up more recently, and is getting worse, fit flops are the only sandals I can still walk in comfortably. I am not looking forward to winter when I will have to wear shoes again .. and shoes which give me enough padding underneath to wear are too thick to feel the pedals. 

Sadly, I cannot wear fit flop boots or shoes, they are too baggy or too tight around the foot for me ...

I tend to keep a pair of slip on type shoes in the car ... in case.  I can no longer get laces to tie (can't reach with hip), but I do find that fit flops do not slip off ... I have to force them off sometimes.  Hence a very comfortable sandal all round and do the job for me.

But if I am driving long distances, I too, RH, wear something with a back in them ... I have a pair of sandals which do the trick, but are most uncomfortable to walk in ... can't win!

I sometimes drive in my ballerina crocs, but I find them pretty lethal in wet weather so for dry days only, easy to keep in the car though...

my sandals are usually M&F fit glove or Hotter.....always have a back strap I hate 'thongs' I just don't want anything between my toes.

I used to run up and down three flights of stairs in Dr Scholes sandals, wooden with just a strap.....great for your calf muscles but probably lethal ....I was MUCH younger then

[quote user="Russethouse"]always have a back strap I hate 'thongs' I just don't want anything between my toes. [/quote]

Between yer toes [:-))][:-))][8-)]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/thong%20copy_zpsjz26ceml.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/thong%20copy_zpsjz26ceml.jpg[/IMG][/URL]