How easy is it to fix a small dent in a car ?

alittlebitfrench

Ok, so Oh has put a small dent in the car (VW up) which I want to sell. It is very small and minor but it would look better without the dent.

I want to do it myself. Now, I can fill any hole (large or small) in a house and make it look brand new. I am a perfectionist.

So how do I do it with a car. What do I need, and more importantly, how do I get the finish to look brand new when painting ?

Many thanks in advance.

I don't know if they exist in France but, have a look for 'paintless dent removal', PDR for short.

The dent is removed by special tools and if the paint isn't scratched through to the primer, then the end result looks like new after a bit of 'T-cutting'.

I had it done on my Bentley in the UK last year. Cost me £20 as a mate is in that business.

Just for your info, if you are considering doing it yourself, getting it looking right isn't something you should take lightly.

Brain Said 'Try looking on youtube'

I wish I had a Brain. LOL.

To improve the popularity off this post I will insert the following meta tags:

META TAGS > Britexit; French Property Renovation on a budget; French dentists; Humax satellite boxes; Auto Entrepreneur vs working on the black; Registering a UK reg car in France; Chickens; Chancer; Re-wiring a house in France for beginners; Theresa May; French driving; Chancer; Eymet; Brico Depot; Gîte in the Dordogne; How to receive internet in a French village that does not have internet; How do I sell my French home; Airbus.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Ok, so Oh has put a small dent in the car (VW up) which I want to sell. It is very small and minor but it would look better without the dent.

I want to do it myself. Now, I can fill any hole (large or small) in a house and make it look brand new. I am a perfectionist.

So how do I do it with a car. What do I need, and more importantly, how do I get the finish to look brand new when painting ?

Many thanks in advance.[/quote]

Seriously - if this is your first attempt, and you don't know what materials to use, I suggest that you get it done professionally.

The easiest way to devalue a car is to bodge a body repair.

@ Minty, I covered Aibnb with 'gîte in the Dordognge'. It is basically the same thing...you know...not declaring your taxes.

@Chancer, birdfoodmiles..... yep.....suppliers of 'British' peanuts for French birds who could not give a shît about your bird table.

I forgot 'English speaking doctors in Aubbusson (wherever that is). Having said that, if I was an English speaking doctor in Aubbusson I would have buggéred off years ago to Paris...or Tours. Less stress because you only have to speak French. LOL.

I am not surprised you do not know where Aubbusson is you need to learn how to spell it first wally head, You could start of trying to fill the large hole in the front of your face first before you touch a car. Its also a bit cold to be doing body repairs in the center of Paris.

I would use smilies but for some reason they will not load.

To answer your question.

Flat the damaged area, Knock out dent if you can, apply pug, rub down, apply more pug, rub down again, apply more pug to low area, rub down again, flat area, apply stopper to rubbing down marks, flat again, more stopper, more flatting, many more times, apply guide coat, apply primer, flat through to guide coat, apply more stopper, flat again, apply primer, flat again, apply top coat or base coat of base and clear, flat again, apply top coat/base coat again, flat again, apply cleear coat, flat again, apply second clear coat, flat again with progressively finer paper to 1200 grit, compound starting with coarse then fine, then T-cut, then polish.

Then either get depressed because it looks nothing like the paint around it or be happy for a short while, then after a short time Watch all the paint sink into the filler and see every stage of your repair coming through.

Then pay a pro to do it.

When you see how much money they charge and how little work it is when you know what you are doing start your own "Chips away" franchise in France.

Final stage - Make a shed load of money

Hmmm...I think I will get a pro to do it. I was quite looking forward to doing it myself given it is so small. Will watch some you tube videos (good idea Leven) anyway. I will on this occasion refrain from using chaux if I do decide to do it.

But Chancer, you made a good point. I don't know any 'chips away' type operators in France that come to your house etc. Do they exist ?

What a fantastic idea for someone looking to move to France and set up a business. I reckon that would actually work. There is enough work just our street in Paris to keep someone busy for a couple of months.

So if your in the Uk reading this thinking of a career in France, that is a very good idea. Go on a course in the UK, get kitted out and move to France.

Unless it is removable by dent doctor methods then if you haven't got the message yet the answer to your question is if you have to ask then the job is not for you !

Matching the colour and then blending in with the surrounding area will be the hardest parts and frankly will be all but impossible without professional facilities so realistically leaving it be or having it fixed properly are your two options, anything in between will result in making it worse.

How old is the car, it makes a difference to how a minor ding could affect the value.

Post a photo of it.

When a dent occurs it usually stretches the metal (assuming it is metal and not plastic). The problem of the invisible repair is how to get rid of the additional metal.

Minor dent repair doesn't sound like a good business plan for France as all the dents I see are very major. Something to do with the tail gating.

@ Another

Insert a photo ???? I can't even insert a smiley on this state of the art forum software. Not that I smile. Besides, the car is in Tours.

The car (VW Up) is only 2.5 years old with very low millage. So it is worth 6000-7000 euros. Can't decide to sell it 'avec' or 'sans' small dent. The chances are the buyer will scratch it again anyway so you kinda of think what is the point.

I need the money to change the timing chain on my Saab which I guess will cost 2000 euros. At least I have found a garage now.

@ cajal, when I said 'chips away' I did not mean a mobile chip van. BTW, I can't see a fruit machine in that photo. You can't have a traditional chip shop without a fruit machine so they are not traditional. Unless they tow it on the back ????

If your car is that much, why not get it repaired.

Frankly shocked that you only have one dent, bearing in mind the last time we were in France, for a fortnight, our car was hit three times. Twice in parkings and once we were tail ended, in a traffic jam, all stopped and the car behind decided to start the queue moving, only as I had kept my distance from the car in front of me, just hit moi..............the idiot!!!!

Either you decide to make the rest of the car look like the dented bit which is probably easier than trying to fix it yourself, or you sell it as is, having got a quote for the repair to show a potential buyer. But, get the quote from a little garage outside Paris who should be cheaper than a capital city one.

Or you could have it fixed which may not add much value overall.

It's a great little car that, ALBF, and I am surprised that the value is so low.

I am in the market for a small car though maybe a bit bigger than yours and I do prefer to have an automatic. 

I agree with idun about a small dent, I would have thought a car isn't genuinely "French" until it's had a dent or two?  I also thought that dents were like badges of honour for French car owners?  Certainly, amongst friends that I have, they don't ever seem to go to the trouble of repairing dents!

I have done worse several times, both wrecked and repaired, ditto for most of my hoon pals.

Thank god that I finally grew up, I havn't lit my oxy-acetylene torch for over a decade, if only I had stopped dicking around with cars and started renovating property 20 years earlier but you cant put an old head on Young shoulders, I wanted a flashier car than my peers and didnt have the money so got what I wanted by repairing write offs, had i put my efforts into property I could have bought whatever I wanted at full retail price.