UK shopping?

dave21478

I posted this as a reply in another section, but think it might be worthy of a discussion here?

It will take some carefull calculations, but I was pondering the other day.....Would it be worthwhile to do a single big trip up to UK every 6 months or so, and do food shopping in the Dover Tesco?

Its a long journey, but I have an economical fridge/freezer van that can carry quite a lot. Given the low pound value, assuming I used my French earned money, I believe there would be a decent saving to be made. Hopefully I will be back to UK for a few days early this year, so I will make an effort to work out things, and find out the prices of various shopping items for comparison to here.

Need to calculate possible savings to be made for the shoping, minus the fuel and ferry costs for the trip....I dont think the saving would work out to be massive but I reckon it would be worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

Just off the top of my head, Dave, I would imagine it will have to be a hell of a lot of shopping if you're just talking groceries.

I suppose if you're talking about books or medium to biggish electrical items, then it's worth investigating further.

You should also factor in your own time and "work" not to mention wear and tear on the van.

I dont specifically need anything from Tesco, but I need food...Asda, Tesco, Auchan or Geant, Im not fussed where I buy it, but if it works out cheaper in UK then its worth considering.

Having said that, another aspect apart from the purely financial side is the little pleasures I could pick up that are unavailable here.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Plus of course you could buy popular consumer goods in £ at discount prices then flog them on eBay in €

Definitely looking into doing something along these lines myself as I have plenty of spare cash in UK earning next to nothing.

[/quote]

NOW THERES A THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Dog"]Wouldn't you be better to head for Germany? They are meant to have cheapest shopping in W. Europe.[/quote]Err, kinda misses the point don't you think. The idea is to buy in £ and sell in € profiting from the exchange rate differential.

Besides I travel to and from UK every 2 or 3 weeks at zero cost to me and even when the £ was €1.45 stuff in Dixons duty free (ha) in Aberdeen airport was cheaper than Schipol.

You might find the e-bay will look at how much you are selling and then differenciate between someone who is selling a one off and a pro seller. Then the ball game changes?

I can't remember where I was reading that but it was only within te last week or so and they are obliged to inform certain Impot?

Smal buisinesses on the black peut etra?

We've just got back from France.  We live in SW Wiltshire, betw. Salisbury & Southampton & do shop around quite a bit.   But we always take back FROM France & some things we often buy if we know they are cheaper - even with the current exchange rate :  

Fish - fresh salmon, trout etc (frozen in an ice box)  always much,  much cheaper 

Jams - better quality for the price - French jams @ about 89c- 1.15 (Auchan & Bonne Mamon brands actually have fruit in them)

Olive oil & salad dressings (citrone & vinagre) one litre under a euro - about 80 cents

creamed spinach (not done by Tesco & exhorbitant at Waitrose)

fruit  2kg apples 1.5 euro., kiwi - 10 for 1.50 - all much cheaper at present

obviously wine- NEVER buy that in the UK now

chocolate- better quality, especially the dark chocolate with orange - and I'm an expert there.

full tank of diesel - about 20p cheaper per litre

Can't imagine much in the UK cheaper to justify a trip.  Ferry price Caen or Le Havre/ Portsmouth more than last year.                             Peut-être  peanut butter ? marmite ? ...

Tegwini

"Its a long journey, but I have an economical fridge/freezer van that

can carry quite a lot. Given the low pound value, assuming I used my

French earned money, I believe there would be a decent saving to be

made. Hopefully I will be back to UK for a few days early this year, so

I will make an effort to work out things, and find out the prices

of various shopping items for comparison to here."

You can do a bit of homework before you go.

SUPERMARKET

[quote user="tegwini"]

We've just got back from France.  We live in SW Wiltshire, betw. Salisbury & Southampton & do shop around quite a bit.   But we always take back FROM France & some things we often buy if we know they are cheaper - even with the current exchange rate :  

Fish - fresh salmon, trout etc (frozen in an ice box)  always much,  much cheaper 

Jams - better quality for the price - French jams @ about 89c- 1.15 (Auchan & Bonne Mamon brands actually have fruit in them)

Olive oil & salad dressings (citrone & vinagre) one litre under a euro - about 80 cents

creamed spinach (not done by Tesco & exhorbitant at Waitrose)

fruit  2kg apples 1.5 euro., kiwi - 10 for 1.50 - all much cheaper at present

obviously wine- NEVER buy that in the UK now

chocolate- better quality, especially the dark chocolate with orange - and I'm an expert there.

full tank of diesel - about 20p cheaper per litre

Can't imagine much in the UK cheaper to justify a trip.  Ferry price Caen or Le Havre/ Portsmouth more than last year.                             Peut-être  peanut butter ? marmite ? ...

Tegwini

[/quote]

I have to agree with you; surely there's a limit to the amount of baked beans any household can require!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

You might find the e-bay will look at how much you are selling and then differenciate between someone who is selling a one off and a pro seller. Then the ball game changes?

I can't remember where I was reading that but it was only within te last week or so and they are obliged to inform certain Impot?

Smal buisinesses on the black peut etra?

[/quote]

The tax authorities regularly review Ebay activities to identify 'professional' traders.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I have always wondered how one can save money by buying things.....[8-)][/quote]

My wife has a Doctorate in saving by spending........"look at these new shoes.....saved £20......We really need a new flat screen TV we could save £150"......sound familiar?

The galling thing is she is brill with money....just gets me to pay!

Bless her.......

Another thought...... use your clubcard when buying your stuff from Tesco, when you get the vouchers convert them to "deals". This would give you four times the monetary value which you could use with Eurotunnel as it is one of their "deals" partners, i.e. £20 of vouchers gets you a £80 token for Eurotunnel.[geek]