Hair Conditioner.

jo

[quote user="bubbles"]Oh, yes, it is to cover the grey! Should have said. I think letting the roots just grow is a step too far for me at the moment. (am rather older than 31 - in fact my son is about your age) I hope colouring it wont ruin all my good efforts - I will use an ammonia-free brand. To date I have survived over two weeks without any shampoo or conditioner and I am cautiously optimistic that this is going to be a great success.[/quote]

My hair is coloured too, so every 3 months or so I would have to start the process again, plus I swim in a chlorinated pool and the smell of that can linger.

jonzjob - your wife may look terrific with natural hair, but sadly I do not. Sorry it's shampoo for me...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey Bubbles, I never thought anyone would take me serious about my age? My son is 33 in a few daze time [:-))]! I'm surprised that Pads hasn't piped up and insulted me (in the nicest possible way?) on that?

Don't be sorry RH, it ain't necessary [:D].. If you smell of 'chlorine' after swimming then it's probably because there isn't enough chlorine in the pool!! It isn't actually chlorine that you can smell but chloramines me thinks?

My wife, I don't think she looks terrific!! I know she does [kiss]..

Going back to nearly the original query (but not quite) I often add a splash of vinegar in a bowlful of water, to rinse my hair.  I used to use malt in the uk but here it's easier to use the colourless cheap one. When my hair is dry, there is no vinegar fragrance unless I hold a lock of hair very close to my nose.

It apparently gets rid of any shampoo residue which can cause hair to look dull and lifeless. I guess someone using nopoo could still do this??

I'm new to this no poo as well.

Last year, I tried it but, after 10 days or so, I just had to go back to shampoo.  Hair felt sticky and greasy and I couldn't stand it.

Now, I'm into my second month and I'm managing.  I have noticed an unexpected bonus, however. Because I suffer from ezcema, the back of my neck used to itch like hell and, because I live in a hard water area, I'd have problems with dry skin on my face and back.

Now, the bonus is that my face is less dry, my neck ditto and the skin on my back feels fine.  When I think about it, I suppose those areas were affected by the shampoo washing off my head whenever I showered and washed my hair (which was everyday)!

Now, I really don't think I'd go back to shampoo (maybe in the summer) but I love the freedom from itching and that alone is enough for me to be a convert to NO POO!

Great stuff Douce Dix Sept! I am glad that you are getting more benifits than you thought. Why would you go back to poo in the summer though? I am curious [8-)]?

Carefull though because you know what they say "There's nothing worse than a convert"?[:-))]

Oh contraire Doux! The grease has now stopped. Your scalp now knows how much of it's natural oils it needs to distribute...[8-|] Trust me???

When using poo your poor scalp is trying to keep up with providing the needed oils that are ripped out by the poo. Now it has settled everything has now gone back to how it should be.

Our chocolate labrador Celé has never had soap on her and all she gets is brushing. Her coat is lovely, silky,soft and smooth. The fur is the same stuff you have on yer nut! After a swim in our pool in the summer it is even more silky. Same with rain on it.

Bloody converts (me?) Even after 18 years or so.

Still persevering in not using shampoo,

I did, however, have to use a non-ammonia based colour.

Now, it might be my imagination but I seem to detect fewer wrinkles on my face.

Could that be possible, do you think?

Or has my eyesight just got worse?

Now that you aren't putting all of those nasty chemicals on yer 'ed yer skin is thanking you for it by looking better! Wel that's my theory anyway [8-)].

I'll bet that there is more body in your hair now and no, I don't mean something dead before anyone says it!

Jonz, got to tell ya and you'd be proud of me.

Went to new hairdresser today (that is, new to me) and I said, please do not use shampoo because I have skin allergies and I can't use shampoo.  C'est prudent................etc.  Thought that was easier than anything else.

Cut a long story short, after my hair was suitably trimmed and primmed, etc.  2 people in the shop admired it and said what good hair it was.

Now, Jonz, I've always had nice, thick hair but, since the non-use of shampoo, it's hardly shedding and it's just so manageable and I love running my hand through it.

So.................I'm very happy.  To be honest, I was worried about how I'd stopped the hairdresser using shampoo so now I have the perfect answer:  Pas utilisez le shampoing, s'il vous plaît, j'ai beaucoup de problèmes avec ma peau.....etc, etc!

I'm proud of you Doux!

I went into a hairdressers near Carcassonne a while back and asked for a haircut and they INSISTED that they shampoo my hair. I said that I didn't want it pood and they said it was essensial so I walked out!

I will not rant on. If you can get through the first bit then it is so much better. If the idea of letting your hair grow naturally can be a probition then it is your own decision. I KNOW that I like and what I, and a lot of other folks on this forum, know is that sham-poo is not a good idea and that you are better off without it.

Simple really! No poo is good poo peut etra?

Easier than that Doux. I just walked out and now I/we have our hair cut at home by a lovely/lively coiffeuse who is larger than life and is fascinated by the fact that we don't use poo and have lovely hair..

Edit :- She stands at about 5 foot nowt and is quite a lively person!!!!!

Hello eveybody! this is a great topic.May I introduce the subject of comfrey. It's wonderful for the skin. I put it in a pillowcase and hang it in the bath and it makes hair feel gorgeous, as well . It's easy to grow too ,but you need to find a doner who will give a few roots.

I haven't tried comfrey for the bath etc, but grow it and use it around the garden.

It can be a rampant grower, so the best is a variety called Bocking 40-something,  I think, which doesn't go mad. I still have only the half dozen plants I started with 20+ years ago. It's wonderful in the garden, on the compost heap etc, as I garden organically.

Perhaps I ought to try it in the bath; do you use the leaves? It does have a foul smell when left to drain down to a liquid for garden purposes; I now tend to just lay whole leaves on the veg beds etc and plonk it whole in to the compost bins.

Jo 

If you chuck a load in a bucket of water and leave it for a couple of weeks, outside 'cause it starts to chuck up a lot, then you have a bucket full of very good fertiliser to put on yer plants.

I suppose you could put it on yer hair too [+o(] ?

Not heard of it the way you say though WR?

Thanks for the info; enjoyed looking at the links.

Having looked at the HDRA site, I see it says Bocking 14 is the best variety for gardeners, not 40 something as I had thought. The plant can be a real thug if a variety suitable for gardens is not grown. I also find it best to wear my gardening gloves when picking leaves, as they can be a little spiky, and can cause a rash.

Thanks again, Jo

• 2 weeks later...
just an update on the non-poo experiment.

as i confessed, i did use a colour on my hair about a fortnight ago - chose a gentle one with no ammonia.

since then i have used nothing but water on my hair.

initially it went a bit limp again (because of the shampoo/conditioner/colour or whatever was in the colour kit?) but now it just feels heavy!

this is good.

am not losing as much hair as i used to, i know that (i counted)

and i am pretty sure that this is the answer to lots of people's hairloss problems.

will keep you updated!