british food

glacier1

I do not know about you guys, but being here in France for 4 years now I really do miss some British products found in UK supermarkets.  You can get some things here but they are sold individually and are expensive.  I miss a good cup of Yorkshire Gold Tea, or Crumble Mix for making a summer crumble, or stupid things like bisto gravy powder down to dried peas for pea soup.  Things sold here just do not taste the same!  My question is, has anybody found a website selling UK goods at competative prices and delivered to France?  Or does there exsist a company already established here?  Thanks!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="glacier1"]I do not know about you guys, but being here in France for 4 years now I really do miss some British products found in UK supermarkets.  You can get some things here but they are sold individually and are expensive.  I miss a good cup of Yorkshire Gold Tea, or Crumble Mix for making a summer crumble, or stupid things like bisto gravy powder down to dried peas for pea soup.  Things sold here just do not taste the same!  My question is, has anybody found a website selling UK goods at competative prices and delivered to France?  Or does there exsist a company already established here?  Thanks!
[/quote]

I always wondered who bought the crumble mix from Intermarche; now I know! Dried peas are available all over the place, like most pulses.

Ah... Cat (and Clair the instigator of all this), many thanks. 

Just spent £90 on the web.  Very pleased though because the prices compare favourably with our local supermarkets'.  Plus saving on petrol and trying to catch the shops before lunch...........

Surprised that even things like bread flour are cheaper and, of course, bottled and tinned sauces and dog treats!  Husband treats too, of course.

Can see myself doing a shop say every 1 to 2 months.  Mind you, I have bought so much rice and pulses that we'll be eating them for months to come.

Now for some recipes (besides soup ones) for rice and pulses........

Any offers, Clair?[:D][kiss] you wonderful woman you!  You too, Cat; you are brill.

Clair, the recipes are awe inspiring.  Thank you.  I knew you'd come up trumps.  I have learnt so much from your posts.

I'm so looking forward to trying out the recipes.  Oh, forgot I was meant to be miserable and depressed..........!

If you are looking for something REALLY special there's this place!!! Have a look at their history too...

They have the best bacon I have ever tasted. Not a place if you are penny pinching. You get what you pay for!

Edit :- It's just clicked that this is the penny pinching bit init! Still, go and spoil yourself!![6]

[quote user="5-element"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Oh, forgot I was meant to be miserable and depressed..........!

[/quote]

Ah yes, but that was BEFORE. Now your life can start again - all you needed was a couple of bags of chickpeas, and a few recipes...[:D]

[/quote]

I know, I have no class and I am low-maintenance![:P]

For those of you who live in the Gers, I have a friend who has a market stall selling british foods. She goes to Mirande, Vic Fezensac and Condom markets.

She is very obliging and can get most things - her husband goes over to the UK to stock up once a month.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Surprised that even things like bread flour are cheaper...

[/quote]

I only ever use ordinary French type 55 flour for bread -- works fine, even the really cheap supermarket own-brand stuff.  If you want a bit more 'chew' to it, add a tablespoon of gluten (from healthfood shops), but it's not essential.

You have my sympathies, Odile.  Been there, I mean the miserable and depressed bit............just before and all over Christmas.

Better now because I decided that I'd rather be happy.

Anyway, it's not the British food I wanted; just food at a lower price than what I can get here in the supermarkets and in the markets.

If you need to bend someone's ear, just PM or email, OK?

[quote user="odile"]I'm really miserable and depressed - and dreaming of British food really DOESN'T help!
[/quote]

Oh for sausages that are half filled with bread crumbs and bacon that crackles when it's being fried because it's been pumped full of water, baked beans that are full of enough sugar and salt that they can do your heart the world of good. Oh yes, nearly forgot, the bread that is fully steam baked and will substitute for a tissue if you run out!

No thank you! I love my sausages to be FULL of meat, the next bacon we have will be from the U.K. from Emmetts of Peasinghall and that I am looking forward to, but the rest! No thank you. I think that I would rather go and sham-poo my hair?[:D][:D][6]

I count myself lucky that I don't really miss most British foods. I only really miss brown sauce and if I'm in a supermarket that sells British foodstuff, I might also pick up a jar of marmite or a pot of Bisto. Apart from that I've found a substitute for everything over here that's acceptable to me. I've even got used to the bacon and milk. And really that is a big money save as British food is obviously more expensive over here.

R.