british food

glacier1

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]II've even got used to the bacon and milk.[/quote]

Whats different about the milk?  Seems exactly the same to me.  Genuine question.

[/quote]

I used to have fresh milk in Australia (and the UK). Can't find it easily here. It's all long life stuff. Which is great because I can buy a weeks supply in one go.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]I used to have fresh milk in Australia (and the UK). Can't find it easily here. It's all long life stuff. [/quote]

Try Candia GrandLait Frais.  Available in Carrefour and Géant, but in a different location to the longlife stuff.  Lovely fresh milk. 

Intermarche also have "fresh" milk.   You find it in the chiller cabinets sold in a plastic milk bottle.  Leclerc also sell one but theirs in in big 3 litre plastic bottles, again sold in the chilled sections, often near the butter etc.   I find the fresh milk here stays fresh far longer than that I bought in UK, even from the milkman - very often I buy enough for the week in one go.

I had to search in the beginning for fresh milk because my lot have an aversion to what they call "Bull's milk",  ie don't know what it is but its certainly not from a cow,  but used in semolina and rice puds Bull's Milk is very acceptable apparently.[:D]

It is not "fresh milk", the only ones lucky enough to still drink this are those that still have a milkman in the UK.

For the rest of us "fresh milk" in either UK or French supermarkets is homogenised, that is why we it appears to last all week, in reality after one week it would be the same as "milkmans milk" if it were able to reconstitute, would you drink curdled milkmans milk at that stage?

Try closing your eyes and doing a blind smell test of homogenised milk "fresh" from the supermarket and the one that has sat open in the fridge for a week if you need convincing.

Regarding milk, our local supermarkets - including SuperU and Shopi -  stock 'fresh' milk in the chilled foods section near the creams and butter.  Red-capped bottles are full-cream, blue-capped ones are semi-skimmed; skimmed milk does not seem to be available.

Regarding bacon, gammon steaks, ham joints, cumberland sausage etc anyone living within striking distance of Marciac in the Gers might be interested in this website www.bulldogbaconandbangers.fr.  The website tells the whole story but basically these are really top-quality English-style products made from local French pork at reasonable prices (a kilo of best back bacon is 10 euros, for example, and ham hocks are 4 euros each).  Many local French people enjoy their products too.

Val

The fresh milk that we get is not homogenised. It is gently pasturised in a banne marie, or however you spell it. We get it from either of the bio supermarkets here in Carcassonne. they also have raw milk sometimes and that has a shelf life of just a couple of days. Fresh goats milk is there too! The pasturised cows milk always has a nice layer of cream on the top and it is semmi skimmed milk!

The problem with homogenised mik is that it is forced through a very fine mesh to break up the fat globules, this is why you will never see cream on the top, and the fat globules are so fine that if you suffer with a 'leaky gut' the globules can pass through the stomatch wall into the blood system.

These days we have been trying other things and I really like the 'oat milk', slightly sweet and lovely on proper porrige [8-|]

Anybody else having trouble with British Food Direct?

Ordered something on Jan 7th, they took the money, but they've not sent the food (yet). They have not responded to emails, and they had only an answerphone during today. Am I being paranoid?

starless

That sounds good to me.  In fact, haven't had my parcel from British Foods dot com or whatever.  Sent them an email and was told that they'd had problems with their email facility and, not only that , that my parcel has been "damaged" and that they are re-arranging another one.

Mind you, they DIDN'T contact me; I had to initiate contact!  Not that thrilled en ce moment.

[quote user="Starless"]Anybody else having trouble with British Food Direct?

Ordered something on Jan 7th, they took the money, but they've not sent the food (yet). They have not responded to emails, and they had only an answerphone during today. Am I being paranoid?

starless[/quote]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

That sounds good to me.  In fact, haven't had

my parcel from British Foods dot com or whatever.  Sent them an email

and was told that they'd had problems with their email facility and,

not only that , that my parcel has been "damaged" and that they are

re-arranging another one.

Mind you, they DIDN'T contact me; I had to initiate contact!  Not that thrilled en ce moment.

[/quote]

Oh dear! That does not sound good...[:'(]

I'll add a note of caution to the post where I mention them.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

The fresh milk that we get is not homogenised. It is gently pasturised in a banne marie, or however you spell it. We get it from either of the bio supermarkets here in Carcassonne. they also have raw milk sometimes and that has a shelf life of just a couple of days. Fresh goats milk is there too! The pasturised cows milk always has a nice layer of cream on the top and it is semmi skimmed milk!

The problem with homogenised mik is that it is forced through a very fine mesh to break up the fat globules, this is why you will never see cream on the top, and the fat globules are so fine that if you suffer with a 'leaky gut' the globules can pass through the stomatch wall into the blood system.

These days we have been trying other things and I really like the 'oat milk', slightly sweet and lovely on proper porrige [8-|]

[/quote]

My mate tels me that he tried horses milk at a fête at Boulogne sur mer, his French is not good but he is quite intelligent and I dont think he was misled.

Re homogenising milk, it is not seived but molecularely (dont even know how to say it!) reduced by high velocity impact, I used to make the homogenisers during my apprenticeship in what was known as the "Homo section" of our factory! The machines resembled a huge stainles steel piston engine but powered by even huger electric motor, the milk was aspirated and on the compression stroke forced at high velocity through a narrow orifice onto a titanium impact ring.

As Jonzjob says the fat is still present in its full percentage but no longer visible as cream and cannot be smelt until it is very very sour, when we drink supermarket milk after one week, plus of course its time on the shelf, delivery etc, it is the same as drinking fresh milk from the milkman after 10 days except of course that our palate and taste buds are fooled into not making us puke.

Just received a response from British Food Direct after I sent them one of my snotty letters - thought that might do it.

Strangley, my parecl was damaged on the way to their shipping department as well - what a coincidence. They are going to pack another one withing the next 2 or 3 days. In other words, we are back to where we were on January 7th. They didn't contact me until I threatened to tell everyone on this Forum that they were a shambles, so I've decided not to tell you all now!

I have now given them another chance to improve their processes and get the package to us pronto. They don't seem to have offered any compensation though, just their apologies, so no money saving there.

I'll keep you up to date with the next installment.

Cheers,

starless

Starless, no sign of my food yet.

When I looked a couple of days ago, they hadn't debited my credit card (Tesco).  I rang the CC company and said, could I stop the payment?

Answer, as I might have expected, NO, but if they don't deliver, then we'll take it up on your behalf.

Will let everyone know how it goes!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Starless, no sign of my food yet.

When I looked a couple of days ago, they hadn't debited my credit card (Tesco).  I rang the CC company and said, could I stop the payment?

Answer, as I might have expected, NO, but if they don't deliver, then we'll take it up on your behalf.

Will let everyone know how it goes!

[/quote]

Arr.........................gh!  Sorry, quoting myself.

Update this evening, looked at CC statement.  No money taken out and NO FOOD, so I guess this is a NO-NO NO BRAINER.

It's OK, not sure that I want the food by now, having waited so long.  Will go and stock up elsewhere.

Thought I'd let people know as the info might be of help.

OK, cheers!

I'm not actaully looking for British food but seem to be unable to find cream cream comparable to the type available in the UK.  Whilst fromage frais is fine in it's place, I do miss single/double cream to make wonderful dauphinois.  Does anyone know of an equivalent French brand?