Saving money on spectacles and lenses

nectarine

My husband fell and the lenses in his spectacles cracked so we shopped around for prices (they were Zeiss lenses so we expected a bit of a shock!). Cheapest here was 500 euros for both lenses so we contacted Framesavers in the UK http://www.framesavers.com/home.php

and got a quote for £320.

We send off the specs, together with another which needed an updated prescription in them, and I have to say I was delighted with the service. We got an email to confirm receipt, another email with a progress report and another to say they were being posted (by recorded delivery) back to us.

From start to finish, very easy, so I would recommend them.

I don't have any association with the company but wanted to let people know that they are a reputable and efficient company. I reckon that with both sets of glasses we have saved over £200 in total.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Rob Roy"]I posted this information on another thread about eye tests - I used an American company

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Excellent service and amazingly cheap prices[/quote]

I saw this post. Got my prescription in UK from specsavers, ordered from the site quoted in USA, glasses made and sent from China. Arrived today 7 days after order in France. Good web site and service

Have to say that I have just visited Specsavers in Spain and have just paid 340 Euros for varyfocals including titaniam designer frames, photocromic scratch resistant glass lenses with ten days delivery to my French address. They set up the frames while I was there plus I had a full, free, eyetest which was much longer and better than I got in France. I also got a two year accident insurance as a freebie. Off to Iceland to load the freezer with smoked back bacon and mince pies. Them big tins of Quality Street and Celibrations are only 4.50 (Euros) a tin down here as well so I will just have to find some more space on the boat. I wonder if I will get pulled for smuggling contraband on the way back. [;-)] Sorry about going off subject a bit there.

I would be interested to know where in Spain you visited Specsavers, SVP. The only locations I can find from a search on Google España are way down south. Same goes for Iceland.

All a bit too far to visit by boat, especially at this time of year, although I have plenty of room on board, even for bacon in the freezer.

[quote user="Quillan"]Have to say that I have just visited Specsavers in Spain ... [/quote]

We used to use Specsavers when living in the UK and they were nearly always excellent ... why, oh why can't they open some branches here ?

Perhaps a bit of a rhetorical question, methinks.

Sue [:(][blink]

Just inland from Calpe.

There are loads of Brits down here, it's like little England, worse than it is alleged in the Dordogn (no spell checker sorry). I guess it's down to supply and demand, the staff are all English as well, not a word of Spainish spoken. Don't know if thats a good thing or not?

[quote user="suein56"]

We used to use Specsavers when living in the UK and they were nearly always excellent ... why, oh why can't they open some branches here ?

Perhaps a bit of a rhetorical question, methinks.

Sue [:(][blink]

[/quote]

I've seen Specsavers branches recently in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and the Netherlands. I would imagine that the business model isn't compatible with the French system. Have found Specsavers and Vision Express in UK to both be good and with quick service. I've also used a company called Selectspecs which is UK-based but uses a factory in Hong Kong, varifocal lenses (not that I had them) are £25. The company will post to France at no extra cost.

• 3 months later...