Free or cheap as chips kindle books

darty

Darty - it is possible to order from Amazon.co.uk using a VPN (a program on your computer that gives it a UK IP address).  You can then order from .co.uk via the computer and then next time you turn the wifi on on the Kindle the ordered books will download - Amazon only seems to 'look' at the position of the ordering device (in this case the computer) rather than the receiving device (the Kindle).  Be aware, though, that you would then be acting in breach of Amazon's Ts and Cs.

PM me if you need more precise info.

You could look on e-bay. Large numbers of very cheap books. I am sure many are within  copyright even although they claim to be legal. I bought a disc with 5000+  books for a few quid. I was pleased with the selection although some of the scanned books are difficult to read due to poor scanning technique.

• 1 month later...
I have just read your post regarding Kindle books. It is possible to get

hundreds of books free through your kindle itself however it must be

registred in The UK to go to Amazons UK site. This is not a problem, I

did it in 5 minutes. You first go into 'Menu' and then 'settings'. From

here under registration 'deregister' your kindle from its current

address. You can then re-register it, using your normal (French) bank

card then , when it asks for an address use ANY UK address It is not

important and does not need to correspond in any way with your cards. In

seconds you will be registered as a UK user then you will go to The

co.uk site when you shop with your kindle where free books abound, in

fact once you are on the 'shop at Kindle store' page click on 'Best

sellers' and right at the very  top right hand corner of the page you

will see 'Kindle top 100 free', simply navigate to there and click and

away you go. Hope this helps.

[quote user="Mac"]I logged my kindle to one of the delivery addresses I use in the UK and because I normally pay for stuff with and english debit card there was no problem at all.[/quote]

Yes, that's how I got round it too - useful to have friends and family in the UK who don't mind being used as a delivery service!  And I do get Amazon stuff delivered there so it's quite above board.

• 1 month later...
There's at least one other option that might help: if your Kindle is registered to 'Amazon.fr' you can re-register it to 'Amazon.com' through the "Manage your Kindle" menu, without doing anything about your address; the website says quite openly that this is so that you can buy Kindle content from the US store even though you live in France.

Your purchases will be priced in dollars, which may make them a bit more expensive if you have to pay from a non-dollar account (although if the price is zero the exchange rate doesn't matter).   But you may have more choice of English-language books. 

If it doesn't work as you want, you can always change back.

• 1 year later...