Did anyone have their UK bank accounts closed when they are a french resident

idun

I have been with NatWest International in Jersey since 1972 and have thus far not experienced any problems. (Touch Wood!)

They have been accepting new customers from other UK banks and building societies who have had their accounts closed though recently seem to have been a bit overwhelmed. Once the backlog has cleared they will doubtless take more.

I don't think that Jersey accounts will be affected just mainland UK. It was mentioned on here a few times in the past and some had received letters about it, so I wondered if it did.

I know that Barclays in France, simply closed our account after we had been with them for some time, sent us a cheque to cover the balances.......... and had done some very iffy things prior to that, that was when we first moved to France.

Once they transferred money from our current account to savings account without advising us and then, stopped a cheque because there was not enough money in the current account.....now why did we leave it there............ because we had a big bill to pay........... french banks eh, the bad language I could use about them!

We have banked with Lloyds in the UK ever since we made my wife's account, which she had had since 1961, into a joint account, and still have the same account.

We have stayed well clear of Barclays since I tried to open an account for a new business with their Palma, Mallorca branch in 1980, as I found they were utterly incompetent, both in the UK and in Spain.

A long story which I won't bore you with.

No problems.

It was talked about (on here) as a potential disaster.

At the end of the proverbial day, UK high street banks were never going to close accounts in countries where there were tens of thousands of profitable accounts. In some smaller countries, with much smaller Expat communities ...... maybe.

Before we emigrated (2006), we did a lot of research. We had to close some accounts (even then not available to EU residents) and had to ensure (as best we could) that we opened (before our move) accounts that were likely to endure. Thus far, we have had no problem with our Nationwide accounts (one each), our NatWest joint account, nor my wife's Smile account. Of course, nothing is guaranteed for the future (banking 'equivalence' etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, we did, with 2 months notice , which we appealed and the notice was extended. The bank was Danske bank Northern Ireland. Several friends have had the same thing happen to them and, worse still, Natwest and others are not opening any new nonUK resident accounts. Since the beginning of November 2020 we have been in the process of opening accounts with HSBC- a slow, ongoing process, which has stopped for my husband, due to them not having an up-to-date signature to process instructions. I am still persevering......

So sorry to hear this.

I do not doubt that it is on going process with the HSBC, my son wanted to open an account with them, he lives in France and it would be a long tale to tell about how difficult it was. Not helped by a completely obtuse clerk who was dealing with him.

Good luck!

I would be very surprised if it was possible to open a new UK CC account.

When we emigrated (2006) there were already various banks with which we could not maintain accounts.

It was also fairly certain that we would never be able to open any new accounts.

Worst was for our son - 'accidental' closure of UK account - no possibility of re-opening it (that was about 2014-15).