hand made furnitue

Dave&Olive

do you think any one would want to buy my "hobby furniture" in france or do you think I should stick to b&b will post one pic and would welcome the critics. Norm Abrams is my god, shaker furniture is my hobby.......It`s just an after thought after reading no one can buy decent furniture in france but mine might be to others........

Try again with the picture Dave, i'd be interested, and I don't think you'll be that far from us in when you move over. Much as I love a trip to Ikea for bits and bobs, I would rather buy simple furniture made of wood than particles of whatever it is they make much of the furniture there out of.

"do you think any one would want to buy my "hobby furniture" in france or do you think I should stick to b&b will post one pic and would welcome the critics. Norm Abrams is my god, shaker furniture is my hobby.......It`s just an after thought after reading no one can buy decent furniture in france but mine might be to others........"

Dave,

Please e-mail me directly at the address in my profile with more details regarding the furniture that you are making, prices, etc.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

PHEW. first thanks for your replys, I asked for critics, and got a shed load of warm response, expected do not give up the day job, and I am being asked for prices, again thank you for your response  and when we come out in march will/might give up the day job and take your offers...... critics still welcome to post.orders after march please ......what a wonderful site..

dave

I think you could do well. We ended up bringing custom-made country furniture to France from a maker in England.

There are plenty of people here offering hand-made furniture, but it tends to be to regional styles, and I'm told some of the makers feel you are insulting their skills if you ask for something a bit more simple and rustic. Those that 'do' rustic can tend to go a bit overboard on the distressing. And there's also the potential misunderstandings thanks to the different language. We have found some nice ranges of furniture in France that are more to British tastes, but these are made strictly to standard designs and sizes. I also know of somebody who has a house near us who sells very nice, and well-regarded in England, MDF items for painting and will bring them to France.

But I haven't come across anything in France custom-made, in real wood, like your offerings, yet, so I hope you succeed, however you spell your job title .

Hi Dave, can you add me to the list please.

Will is right, new hand made here is  either covered in nobbles and twirly bits, too dark, distressed almost unto death, and if its old its very expensive and been restored over enthusiastically, to be polite.

(I like your little Sylvan bunnies too).

Can I be first please? The hubby started an island unit for our kitchen in August and it's four legs (very smartly planed) are still leaning against the wall in the barn. I'd like a carcass built around it if possible.

Thanks Olive - I'll do your garden in return!!

I'm a bit miffed re the comments about handmade furniture in France though - have seen some gorgeous stuff.

helen

[quote]not in a position to buy anything yet - still waiting for the date for the Acte de Vente Love the furniture, please do publish a price list - if we need an ébéniste you're at the top of the list!Can ...[/quote]

What a typically English question that is!  Do you ask the milkman for discount if you provide your own bottles?  I do so hope the answer to your question is "no"!

Sue not Brian

A block reply to all

It was never my intention to make a living in france by making furniture this is my hobby but because of all the enquiries e-mails and private messages I have recieved this is now becoming the nos 1 option I have no price list most of "the stuff" I made was for family and friends and for what we wanted our selves and could not buy or was "silly money"

As most of you regular forum members know we are hoping to move out to 79350 Cleese in March 2005 we were due to sign the acte de vente on 17th dec but unforeseen events have put this back to the 14th jan 2005.

If the other folder on my web site photos is visible you can see that our longhouse is in french terms "livable" it is going to take a few months to make this habitable, and to achieve our first option of b&b/gite to subsidise our small private pensions.

So give us a few months and I hope I can satisfy most of your wishes end of page so merry christmas to you all and thankyou  Dave & Olive   ps my in box is full and email is too totally shocked by the response

• 2 weeks later...

It's fantastic to see the response you've had Dave, I like your style of furniture very much. Pricing is a very difficult one, we've come out here to get away from the chasing money thing but at the end of the day I guess we all have to pay bills and social charges! As with most hand produced work, if you were to charge by the hour you'd never make a living! I too work with wood, albeit in a different way and we've had a similar response in the Creuse area where we live from British and French, mostly by word of mouth. I think that if you're producing something by hand that is of very good quality, different and well priced then you should be just fine. My last order the other day was from a local chap who saw a just completed door (3 inch thick including ledges & braces and around 50 kilos in weight!) who ordered 6, plus suitable frames on the spot! In the UK the pricing would have been easy but here I'm having difficulty, simply because I'm not into making masses of money and want to enjoy the work and not the dosh! Let us know how you get on Dave.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for you response I am glad to see that you are "keeping the wolves from the door " doing something you enjoy.

I am going to buy a new saw bench to bring out with us when we come my old cast iron one is far to heavy and old, what is the price of say a scheppach ts2500 in france or similar, cost here about £1500 with sliding carriage and side table may be easier to buy one out there if cost is about the same.

Any one else know saw bench prices

Dave

Can't help with the sawbench Dave, I keep my power tools to a minimum, I like to retain as much contact with the Oak as I can (although I go for the best chainsaws I can for my carving!). Bob C seems to have a good knowledge of what machinery is available here and where to get it. Good luck.

Chris