Retraining as......

SaligoBay

Have you retrained as something else since coming to France?   Have you done any formations (e.g. through GRETA), and did they lead to any regular work?

About 3 weeks ago I was SURE I had a job.  It was the job for me, it was it was it was, it's just a pity the employers didn't think the same!  

Time to change direction... who knows whither...

• 1 month later...

It's all irrelevant, because I don't think they'll pay for a formation for me after all, cos I'm not indemnisée par the Ass-dick

There is clearly something odd going on, because I see this sign on the way into Montpellier: ATTENTION - TROUS EN FORMATION.  

SB, less employable than a piece of French tarmac. 

I think you are right Russethouse........ sadly, the wrong place would appear to be France.

How can someone such as SB be unemployable. She is obviously intelligent and I imagine qualified and I suspect has pretty decent french, maybe she just has too much about her for anyone to want her here.

And on another thread, CJB is saying that he has friends with Bac + 5 or 6 who are too qualified for work. So who or what qualifies for work then ?

I bet I am not alone in being worried in having a daughter who is trying for Bac + 2 with options to go on to Bac + 3 that at the end of her learning, it may still be a lottery that she will find work in this region. The odds may well be a long wait and a different area to have to seek work.

When in the UK at Xmas, I looked through 2 daily's, the Guardian and Times at the job vacancies and boy, was there an ample choice for folk with a bit of savvy. In our local rag, it should have a competition for "hunt the job vacancy"  prize.......some hope from the ANPE that a non French will get the next half decent job !!

Good luck SB, luck being the operative word I reckon, as TU said, you do have the intelligence and the savor faire without doubt, any country would seek that from someone but this being France you still need that Bac plus 2 for the job on the caissse  !!

French people have to fight for their free formations too, same as everything else, for their RMI too... you have to find out what your rights are and then fight for them, with tooth, nail and ten-year-old pay slips... not being in assedic isn't in itself a barrier but you might need to go down that route...

Having said that unless you really want to do a formation it would probably be better to fix your sights on a line of employment that is well within your capabilities (indeed beneath them) - I'm sure there are plenty - and contact employers directly.

Once you are working you are more likely to be considered for jobs that you would like more and while your French is good now it would no doubt improve dramatically with even part time employment. It would boost your confidence too. Your letters of motivation should directly address the facts that you are mature and over-qualified and very motivated - God's gift to them - rather than gloss them over.

This is what people tell me anyway, and I'm not even looking for a job or formation, just mulling over the possibilities.

SB, you're oozing talent and style. Are there at least opportunities for voluntary work where you are? It would keep your hand-in, maintain your confidence level, help you develop your contacts network, and frequently can lead to paid employment. 

Or you could write. I like your 'sideways' looks at life in France. They are insightful, whistful, often witty, and sometimes sad. Always very readable - it's a good mix.

Maybe Living France will welcome a regular new columnist.

I am in an impossible position as far as employment is concerned. I have Bac + 7 but none of which is recognised (outside EU) in France.

So in order to be considered for employment in France within my already established specific competencies, I will have to go back to school and re qualify. Not an appealing thought after 13 years of higher education.

So I too, am unemployable, I am forced into self employment. I wonder how the French qualifications get on in the rest of the world.

As my dear of dad used to say "Son, If life was easy, everyone would be doing it". He considers himself an optimist.

Andrew

I remember years ago listening to a debate on talk radio UK, the subject was...'Is there such a thing as a job for life any more?', I think this followed a spate of redundancies in supposedly safe occupations, teachers, soldiers etc. Well, to cut it short, the panel which consisted of educationists, industrialists, civil servants etc concluded that a job for life no longer existed. Dr David Starkey was the chair and he summed up and included a phrase which has stuck with me and motivated me ever since...."Those who will be most successful in life will be those who are most able to invent themselves on society".....think on it.

I hated school and still hate any sort of regime, and still do, I left just shy of 15 years old with nothing. I make my own luck, work hard and am honest and scrupulous and life is harder than I ever thought it would have been when I was growing! I never minded failing, what would bother me greatly would be to fail not having given 110%! I guess the moral is to just keep going, sure it gets tough sometimes, but just keep going......

Chris