Im new! hehe

lucid

Hello to all,

My partener and I are soon to be moving to france. My partner has a degree and I have 4 A-levels, we are in our late 20's. Could anyone tell me how difficult it would be to get a job? I speak a little french my partner speaks non. Any jobs would be considered, also any corrispondence with anyone who lives in france and would be able to give us the lowdown!

Thanxs!

Lucid

Hi there, good luck with your move, I hope it does work out for you.  My wife and I have been here for almost 12 months and love it, but, I have to be honest I think it's very difficult for you to walk into work in France if you don't speak the language.  As has been said elsewhere on these forums, the number of unemployed in France is higher than in the UK and that includes people who speak the language perfectly well! 

If there is a business you could start here then look at that option, if you had to deal with ex-pats only initially would there be enough contacts in your local area (Which is where??) and can you cover the high set up fees of running a business in France  (Everything from tax / accountants fees / social charges etc seem to be higher over here but then the general cost of living for us has dropped).  It's not as easy / cheap to start a business in France as it is in the UK but it's not impossible.

I believe there are a number of people in your situation that have decided to work illegally, by doing odd jobs here and there or even trying to sell there services to others within a trade, but I can't personally recommend that. Sooner or later something might happen that will ruin your whole adventure. 

So all in all - learn the language - it's a priority.  Even more so than doing up that old barn / house / flat or whatever.  The language will help you in the long run with the builders and the like you have to deal with too.  My wife is learning French quicker than me as she gets to integrate with the locals more than I do (I still work for a UK company, commuting frequently, and talking English all day!) so she is benefitting from that and I must admit I feel ashamed of not being more fluent, especially as all my local friendly french neighbours are non-stop chatterbox's and I would love to be able to join in a bit more!

Please feel free to drop me another email if you want and I can give you a contact number in france or UK if you've not left yet, and both my wife and I would be happy to talk to you about stuff we can help with!

Toby.

Hi there

Although older than you - in our 40s on arrival - my husband and I moved here 4 years ago and have managed to make a life here which we enjoy. I run our B & B and my husband has managed to find a job with an electrical and plumbing business.  I spoke French on arrival and OH has learnt since.  However it is EXTREMELY difficult to get work - except with a UK company - unless you speak French.  Sorry to disillusion you but A levels count for nothing - everyone French seems to be astounded that I actually had a management level job in UK without having gone to university and I'm under no illusions that it would not be so here.  Our education system is simply not understood and priority is given to French people for work.  Sorry but that is the way it is.

However, if you really want to do it - and why not, everyone should have a try at their dreams - make sure you have enough cash to keep you going for a while, perhaps rent rather than buy so you can move on easily, learn the language, and be prepared to take boring low paid jobs to start with.  If you have some sort of transferable skills think about setting up your own business but be prepared for the costs.

I'd be happy to share any information we have learned.  We were pretty well prepared when we came here, mostly thanks to other people who were kind enough to share their experiences and help us with our venture, and I'd be pleased to pass on any help if you want to PM me.  I would say however that the difficulty in working and, more importantly, earning enough to keep going is one of the less inspiring things about living in France.

Good luck

Maggi

Now, now, boys that is not very kind (you are usually so well behaved!!), it's very easy to make mistakes, they seem to be invisible at the time of typing and only appear as soon as posted!! (I bet I have a typing error in this reply!)

Bouffon, you don't have to live in France to comment on people's English. I do agree with your other comment though, if one isn't well prepared or expectations are set too high then dreams can easily go sour. Decisions to move to another country need to be based on your own positive experiences and solid research, not what you see on TV or even read in magazines, and particularly not just dissatisfaction with your current life.

You can get a spell checker that works with this site (as long as you use Internet Explorer) at www.iespell.com, alternatively the Google toolbar contains a spell check button.

Why do you assume that everyone on this forum wants to move to France? I have a holiday home which I am very happy with, and when I retire I may spend more time in France, but I don't intend to move there.

You seem to be labouring under the delusion (one of several) that this forum is only for people living in France.

Wrong again, I am afraid.

And if anyone round here is full of themself...

Ok I am a resonable kind of person,and if you think I am a bully then you are weak minded in my opinion,now you are talking privilege and the fact that some people want to take french houses from the french people which in the main cannot afford then just for a holiday home and justife it with dribble.

No, buffoon, not weak or green eyed - I have family and friends in England, a job I enjoy and a nice house, no real problems, so I don't need to run away. I enjoy France and I like having a house there as well. All paid for, and paying my way in the French economy.

Do you mean drivel? Your spelling gets even more bizarre. Been on the vino, have we?

Yes I think you would like to be a bully, but I don't think you have the intelligence even for that.

[quote user="le bouffon"]Ok I am a resonable kind of person,and if you think I am a bully then you are weak minded in my opinion,now you are talking privilege and the fact that some people want to take french houses from the french people which in the main cannot afford then just for a holiday home and justife it with dribble.[/quote]

Hang on, weren't you the person who frequently reminds us how you haven't got many.any qualifications yet manage to own many properties simultaneously ?

Or have I got you confused with somebody who can spell?

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion.  You are clearly very clever.  First you deduce Dicksmith is jealous, then you opine I am weak minded. 

Are you the jealous one?  Are you jealous that Dicksmith has a 'holiday home'?  And as for taking away houses away from French people, how do you know that is the case.  For all we know Dicksmith may have built his house on a piece of waste land or restored a pile of bricks.  Whatever he has and I have no idea, I bet he pays his taxes and contributes to the local community that would otherwise not have the income from the dwelling.

Dotty

Dotty,I would say that it is dicky is a  bully an intellectual bully.For sure I am the first one to say that my education(schooling) was a waste of time and was more than glad to have left school and make my way in the big bad world,not like some though who need the comfort zone known as education and spend all the working life surrounded by like minded people suppressing free thought,thats what I call bullying.

All you never managed to get was a life, eh?

The world is full of thick people who feel inadequate and assume they can bully people who are cleverer than themselves by this false 'school of life' argument. School playgrounds are full of it.

And as someone else pointed out, your sock puppet persona is riddled with inconsistencies - I actually think the thick bit is an act.

But to come back to the point - I have challenged you to come clean about who you are - were you the troll previously known as Outcast? Or any of the other shades of that hideous creature?

Why don't you have the courage to say who you are?