AMPE

Suninfrance

It's ANPE (Agence Nationale Pour l'Emploi) and don't expect miracles...

They'll probably ask you to go to the ASSEDIC office (don't ask!). They're the people who decide if you qualify for any unemployment benefit. The two offices are in th process of becoming one, but that's still some way away.

If you are looking for a job, go and register with the temping agencies in your area: Manpower, Adia, Creyfs, Triangle...Short term contracts are more often available with them than with the ANPE.

Mr Clair has re-started work with Manpower tonight: same job he held for 8 months last year (he was asked to stay away from it for 3 months, as legally they would have had to take him on full-time). The boss asked him to return at the end of his 3 months stay-away... He could have taken other Manpower short-time contracts in the meantime, but he had some jobs line-up at home already anyway [:P]

Hi both.  Thanks for the quick response. Very useful and helpful.  My OH wants to register for work, but only work part time so I guess he will need to go to an agency and register.

On another subject - has anyone heard of becoming a "Virtual Assistant".  My typing skills are pretty good (done it for 34 years) and would love to work on manuscripts for book authors (in English I'm afraid).  I'm thinking that I would probably need to be registered in France, or can I register in England and do it from my PC here? 

Jan

You have to go to ASSEDIC first before you can sign on at the ANPE as you will need to be assessed and paperwork done. Whatever you do, try and speak in french and not expect folks to speak english as so many who come here looking for work do and then give up.

If the language is a problem, what they will do is help you on this front.  My English neighbour is now attending French classes (they are aimed at the French so expect a reasonable command of the language to begin with) 4 times a week thanks to ASSEDIC,which can only improve her chances of finding work.

[quote user="cooperlola"]If the language is a problem, what they will do is help you on this front.  My English neighbour is now attending French classes (they are aimed at the French so expect a reasonable command of the language to begin with) 4 times a week thanks to ASSEDIC,which can only improve her chances of finding work.[/quote]

How long had your neighbour been signed on as unemployed before they offered this?  

When I signed on last November, I was refered to a service which helps to assess capabilities and competences, with a view to re-entering the job market. One of the main problems is that most employers value diplomas over experience .

Having found a potentially suitable vacancy last week, (sans diplome) my advisor rushed to get my cv to the ANPE, only to have the woman there refuse to pass on my application because SHE, whom I've never met, was concerned over my level of French.  As yet, I have not been offered any more language tuition which is why I asked the question; maybe I have to be unemployed for longer before they do.....I already have 2 sessions a week with local French friends, but any extra help would be welcome.  I'll ask my advisor next week.

[quote user="Bastet"]How long had your neighbour been signed on as unemployed before they offered this?[/quote]

Mr Clair attended 'French as a foreign language' classes along with other expats, as well as various foreign nationals. The costs for some students were covered by the ASSEDIC, others were paying. He was put in touch with them after an ANPE interview but I had to do a lot of chasing up for him to get the relevant info.

The course was offered by the regional GRETA (adult education and formation) and took the form of one afternoon (4 tutored hours) a week backed up by 2-3 hours of student work on site.

The main problem was that there was only one teacher available and all abilities were taught in the same class, resulting in a very large drop-out rate as many beginners were left feeling very discouraged. He attended for 2½ terms only, as the course started to clash with a temp job offered by Manpower but knew of several expats who attended the same course 2 years on the trot as they did not have to pay and treated the whole thing as a weekly club outing!!

Dare I suggest that the reason the application was not processed was not so much because of your French (or perceived lack of it), rather because it was a good excuse to save the ANPE woman having to do some work - an unfortunately common ploy of a certain breed of fonctionnaire, often to be found in ANPE and ASSEDIC offices? It wasn't shortly before lunch, by any chance?

One very amusing (to them) game they allegedly play with the British (and probably French too) is to bounce you back and forward, with ANPE refusing to put forward job applications until you have signed on at ASSEDIC, and ASSEDIC not accepting you because you have not applied for any jobs through ANPE. If the two are to be combined, that shoud put a stop to such nonsense.

Hello Jan

Just wondered if you know that you don't have to be registered with ANPE to apply for jobs advertised there.  You don't even have to visit them - you can search on their website www.anpe.fr   You can even set up a regular automatic search and they email relevant jobs to you. 

I found my current job via their website.  Some companies ask you to apply directly to them while others ask you to make the application through ANPE.

Good luck with your jobhunting.