Interview

Al & Bob

Ok I know I am going to look a complete idiot by asking this question, but what the hell...

Ok i have an interview for a rather large company, I have never had a interview in France before and I wanted to know what I should wear, is it a case of what I would wear in England or is there some unwritten French rule that you must look/dress a certain way ????

I know it might come in handy for others too.

Can't speak from experience in France, but really don't believe it can be any different for a large company - wear a suit - male or female, still wear a suit.

Unless (and don't be offended !) for example if you were going to work for a large company as a, oh I don't know, lets say more manual job, then I guess smart casual might just be OK.   However, I have interviewed people for lowest paid manual jobs that come in the UK, and I am still (strangely !) impressed if they turn up in a suit, because it means they want the job and have made an effort.

And .... good luck !!

I'd certainly err on the side of formal for most jobs, but use your common sense and just consider what may be appropriate - don't get hung up on cultural norms. Clean and thought-out will always be appreciated - showing care and attention to detail is what counts, so for a fashion industry job that would manifest itself differently to a job at a merchant bank.

The fact you've asked the question tells me that you probably don't need to worry - best of luck!  Ian

Just out of interest, what were you considering as alternatives?

Clown suit?

Scuba gear?

Sweater over the shoulders?

Beret?

[:D]

Suit and tie. Look around you - same amount of suits in France as in the UK.

If it were a mechanics job you could probably drop the jacket but the shirt and tie would, as mentioned, show pride in yourself and respect for your future employers and thus the work you would be carrying out for them.

Given the state of the current job market the fact that you've been shortlisted for interview is a great sign.

Best of luck.

Well I did think about going naked but have decided probably wouldn't get passed security....... I was surprised also that I got an interview especially as the job is 600km away from where I live and that they have arranged a video conference for my interview 100km away from where I live, and should that go OK they wioll pay for me to go to their offices for the 2nd interview.

I think I have been really lucky with this so far so am keeping my fingers crossed. For those interested as I don't own a suit that fits me anymore as I have lost so much weight and I can't afford a new one just yet have decided to go with the dark trousers blue shirt and nice tie look.

Many thanks

Oh JR, do invest in a tie, please !

Good luck both, and let us know how you get on.   Just remember no company invests in the money to interview someone (and it costs a lot of admin and management time) unless they really do think you are capable of doing job.    If you have an interview then you have done so well; the hard bit is getting past nasty people like me who don't like the look of your cv ...

Best of luck.