Signing on...

Suandpete

I never thought that I would be posting in this section however........   I took early retirement from the UK Civil Service in 2002 and am in receipt of a (very small) Civil Service pension.   My husband has a services pension and everything was fine - we have one gite which gives us a few bob extra and all earnings are declared on our French tax return.  Since 2004 we have been paying our contributions to CMU - however it is becoming increasingly obvious that this will not be allowed to continue.

As the replacement healthcare costs are likely to be considerably higher we need to try and offset them in some way.  (Just for 23 months until I am 60 and become qualified for an E121).      I would be quite happy to do a part time job of some sort and my French is reasonable.   Can I now (after being here since April 2002) go and sign on with ANPE(?or maybe someone else?)  I realise that I wouldn't receive any benefit but would my signing on entitle us to continue paying our 8% for our healthcare?  How long can you sign on for?

[quote user="Suandpete"]      Since 2004 we have been paying our contributions to CMU - however it is becoming increasingly obvious that this will not be allowed to continue.

[/quote]

Sorry to interupt, but I am curious about this statement?

And to be more helpful, make an appointment with the "assistante sociale" he or she will point you in the right direction, as with most developed countries there is always a safety net, you just need to know where yours is!

Might I suggest you visit this thread http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1019932/ShowPost.aspx for the latest "hard" info which suggests that you will be able to stay in the CMU.

As for your question; is it not the case that you must have been working in France for 6 months before becoming eligible for any benefits, including automatic membership of CMU ?

I have a friend who has been signed on for over a year now.  She gets no benefits whatsoever, except language help and of course, help finding a job.  So far, she has actually managed to find, through this method, about 6 hours' work a week (teaching English).  Once she builds up enough hours (from memory, I think it's about 20 or so per week), she should get into the French system.  Meanwhile, there certainly is no health care cover for her - she is on an E106 which expires in January and awaits news as to whether she will then be allowed into the CMU de base.  Given that her income is so low (she lives on the profits from her UK house sale at present) she could have real problems very soon and is seriously considering the possibility that she will have to return home from time to time to work as a supply teacher.

Being signed on certainly has not got her automatic CMU entry, only getting work seems to.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

As for your question; is it not the case that you must have been working in France for 6 months before becoming eligible for any benefits, including automatic membership of CMU ?

[/quote]

Not sure if this applies to medical benefits but to qualify for job seekers allowance you must have

either

182 days affiliation

or

910 hours of work

in the 22 months preceding the end of your last contract.

rgds

Hagar

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="cooperlola"]

I have a friend who has been signed on for over a year now.  She gets no benefits whatsoever, except language help and of course, help finding a job.  So far, she has actually managed to find, through this method, about 6 hours' work a week (teaching English).  Once she builds up enough hours (from memory, I think it's about 20 or so per week), she should get into the French system.  Meanwhile, there certainly is no health care cover for her - she is on an E106 which expires in January and awaits news as to whether she will then be allowed into the CMU de base.  Given that her income is so low (she lives on the profits from her UK house sale at present) she could have real problems very soon and is seriously considering the possibility that she will have to return home from time to time to work as a supply teacher.

Being signed on certainly has not got her automatic CMU entry, only getting work seems to.

[/quote]

The threshold for qualifying to join the CMU starts at 60 hours per month or the equivalent of 60 times the SMIC (there are some variations) - details can be found here

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/droits-et-demarches/par-situation-professionnelle/vous-travaillez/vous-etes-salarie/les-conditions-generales-d-ouverture-des-droits-aff_orne.php

TB