Cost of Living for familes in France?

blackcat

[quote user="La Sizer"][quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="La Sizer"]

Well funny you should mention that but its all registered in my mums name and will remain that way, she will kindly send some money over every month to help out...

[/quote]Which of course you will declare and pay tax on.

[/quote]

If required yes, but If my mu decides to randomly send me money as a gift, is that taxable??

[/quote]

Hi,

If you will need occasional money from your mother  a tax free method (discussed recently with a Notaire ) is for your mother to send the money in reasonably sized amounts , say up to 2000€ at a time , on your and your childrens' birthdays and at christmas for all of you . These are called "presents d'usage" and provided they are not unreasonably large compared to your mothers estate (which, as she is not in France, the french tax man does not have the authority to investigate) they are subject to no taxes, and need not be declared.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="parsnips"] 
     If you will need occasional money from your mother  a tax free method (discussed recently with a Notaire ) is for your mother to send the money in reasonably sized amounts , say up to 2000€ at a time , on your and your childrens' birthdays and at christmas for all of you . These are called "presents d'usage" and provided they are not unreasonably large compared to your mothers estate (which, as she is not in France, the french tax man does not have the authority to investigate) they are subject to no taxes, and need not be declared. [/quote]

Even though these amounts seemingly don't need to be declared, if La Sizer did use this method taking into consideration that there is/are the 2 of them and also their 5 children, who might each be receiving money each year, then I would be most surprised if the Fisc didn't investigate them due 1) to the sheer amount of undeclared euros that would be being credited to their French bank account and           2) to the sheer amount that would be disappearing from grandma's UK bank account. The UK has a similar system of payments that can be made annually to relatives from disposable income, but if unduly large or numerous amounts are made the IR wants to know why/how the originator has suddenly acquired an increased amount of disposable income.

Sue

There's all sorts of things in this post that I would have a problem with. However, money from a relative seems to be the least of them. Simple answer surely is for the OP to have a second card on mum's account, and withdraw cash from a hole in the wall in euros, in discreet amounts. It needn't touch your French bank account.

Yh, that side of it Im not fussed about, it would just be a back up plan. More importantly is finding a job I think. There seems to be a demand for plumbers, but im also training to do CAD drawing, whats that in French so I can look it up on that job site place??

[quote user="anniefromwales"]There's all sorts of things in this post that I would have a problem with. However, money from a relative seems to be the least of them. Simple answer surely is for the OP to have a second card on mum's account, and withdraw cash from a hole in the wall in euros, in discreet amounts. It needn't touch your French bank account.[/quote]

Careful Annie this post has been going since May when blackcat started it , so blackcat was the OP.

This thread now contains loads of good information and provides the essentials for anyone considering the move to France.

Good luck to LS it is fascinating reading that you are waying up all the pro`s and con`s.