cloudy tap water

i hope someone can put my other half's mind at rest.

after staying at our house just north of parthenay in 79 for the first time i noticed that the cold water seemed to come from the tap quite cloudy but seemed to settle after a few minutes, and with some squash it seemed to have some froth around the top. it seemed to taste ok.

is this normal ?

is it safe to drink?

thanks for any advice anyone may have

I think may have something to do with the water pressure. Our water did this a lot in the UK and does it little bit here. As far as I know its safe to drink . Just let it run a bit if you are really worried and it will soon clear up.

I was told that it is air disolved in the water and is not a problem. In the U.K. we had a Pozzani water filter, with a swan neck tap on the edge of the sink. We also fitted one in our caravan and we now have one in our home here in the Aude (11), ordered from the U.K. It beats a filter jug, for us anyway, hands down. It dead easy to plumb in and easy to change the filters every 6 months!!! and you don't have to wait while the water goes d r i p  d r i p  d  r  i  p   d  r  i  p, so on to get yer cuppa. If I had to wait for that the beer ration would take a hammering![B]

Have a look at  http://www.pozzani.co.uk/ .  I am not 'owt to do with the company, just a VERY satisfied customer who has had several of their filters and am still impressed with their service even though it has had to stretch to France...

John.

• 9 months later...

Hi! If it makes you feel any better, ours is also ALWAYS cloudy but tastes fine. If left for a few seconds, it clears. We came to the conclusion that is has something to do with the amazing pressure in France.

You could always add it to Pastis, then it would be cloudy anyway!

Happy coiffing

Lesley505

Beer [B]

Iffy looking (and tasting) tap water is indeed normal in France, and is why sales of mineral water have always been at such a high level. The French drink bottled water because it is necessary, not to look pretentious or consume salts.

I've been using a filter jug for the reasons given above and because the water in our area is so hard you sometimes need a cold chisel to break it up to drink it.  The drip drip drip is annoying so I think I'll look into these Pozzani jobs.  Thanks for the tip!

I have also seen large magnets (both passive and electro) which are attached to the inlet water pipes and are supposed to remove water hardness.  Anyone had any experiance of these? good or bad?