Garden power.

JohnM

I would like to put a socket near my grass for the mower (at the moment I use a long extension but as the grass is on the other side of the shared drive, last time I was mowing a couple of cars ran over it before I had time to move it out of the way and that can't be good for it).

My thought is to run a metal conduit under the drive, run some hefty flex through it and connect one end to a proper outdoor socket but the other to a domestic plug inside the cave. I.e it's an extension cable but fixed and protected.

My questions are,

Can you think of a better /easier solution?

If not, can you get metal conduit in France? I've only seen plastic in Castorama (I think that would be better than even heavy duty plastic gaine). What about the exterior socket housing? I've seen some "rocks" in the UK which actually hide a socket, is anything similar available?

Thanks in advance

John

Under a drive, the gaine (and it must be the plastic, red one) must be buried to 1.5M. It will need to have it's own breaker at the fuse box, too, I suspect - extension leads are not approved for permanent installations. There are lots of "fancy" sockets available, although most use "towers" I gather.

Cheap solution involving

2 pieces 25 x 50mm timber the width of your drive

2 pieces of 25 x 50mm timber 110mm long

4 screws

Lay two long pieces of wood side by side with a gap between wide enough to take extension cable

Screw short peice of wood at each end

Lay cable across drive.  Pull cable straight across drive.  Place wooden construction over cable so cable sits in slot.

Cars driving over will not touch the cable.

We have had an extension cable running from our house across the lane to one of our barns opposite for about 4 years with no ill effects to the cable with cars and tractors going over it[:-))]. I have suggested it might be a good idea to make a more permanent arrangement [blink]. Him indoors agrees but it is not top of the list [:(]

Thanks for all those suggestions and comments. My thoughts were that the supply would be an extension lead, but having a a safe channel in which to run, at the end of each visit it would be withdrawn and coiled in the cave. However, having seen some waterproof cable for ponds in Homebase today.... I now wonder about a high level wire. Same arrangement, plug in the grenier (with circuit breaker), but perhaps left in place all year? Do you think that would be better / safer /easier?

Cheers

John,

All cables are inherently waterproof, its the fittings that give the

problem, plus any mechanical damage to or deterioration of the outer

sheath. A high level cable run will require a catenary wire to fix the

cable to and may ( I dont know) require 'planning' permission. You

would also be running across a shared drive, what about the potential

for future damage caused by a high vehicle / load.

On balance it is my opinion that a buried system is better, or as suggested by Andy, temporary protection when you need it.

Regards

I'd recommend the use of "ARCTIC" cable for the lead.Don't know what it is called in France or even if they stock it there but it is heavier than standard extension leads but is very flexible and more suited to extremes of temperature-up or down.