Should the placo guys plaster the placo?

westland

As there seem to be quite a few members posting about plaster and plaster boards I wonder if anyone knows what the french artisans see as the normal way of finishing off new walls that have been put up with a frame and plaster boards. 

At last they are up to this stage with our extension and I was surprised when I asked if they would now go on to plaster over the boards and they said that we should just paint them or put up wallpaper.  OK, so they have put tape and plaster over the joins but surely paint alone won't cover these?  Thanks Kate.

[quote user="westland"]

.  OK, so they have put tape and plaster over the joins but surely paint alone won't cover these?  Thanks Kate.

[/quote]

Hi Kate

If they finished the joints right it will.

It is rather a pointless exercise skimming a stud wall.

Thanks tj, I have been looking at lots of other postings and most of you seem to go in for sanding down before painting so we might have to try a small part of the wall first to see if the joints need this.  Has anyone tried any of the textured paint finishes? Thought that these might help to mask any imperfections.

[quote user="westland"]most of you seem to go in for sanding down before painting so we might have to try a small part of the wall first to see if the joints need this.  Has anyone tried any of the textured paint finishes? Thought that these might help to mask any imperfections.[/quote]

Hi

If they used fine jointing compound the sanding should be minimal, dont be tempted to use a power sander, the best things to use are the sponge sanding blocks, the fine grade and gently. the joints should be smooth generally, it is really the edges that you need to feather in to the placo.

I should not be neccessary to use textured paint, unless you want that finish, normal emulsion should be enough. 

We cannot see the joins in our wall. We taped, layer of enduit de lisage, dryout and sand,  the wider layer of lisage, dryout and sand, and finally an even wider layer dryout and sand. It was the way I watched French shop fitters do it about 12 years ago. Also use a French plaster knives french style starting with anorrow size and working upwards. It also takes as long as plastering but the room is usable almost immediately.

Use a proper undercoat from placo plaitre not a diluted emultion coat. Leroy Merlin and others sell double width sanding blocks which are worth the extra. They also stock special, I think glass fibre, grid sheets for sanding down plaster and fillers.

As I haven't actually watched them at work I'm not sure how many times they have taped/skimmed the joint, but as mentioned by your postings, apart from one or two they seem quite smooth at the joint itself.  As they haven't finished yet I'll watch to see if they rub down as did Cassis' builders. Thanks for the warnings re: overdoing the sanding down as it's always tempting to "get stuck in" before realising that you've done more harm than good!  Wouldn't have had a clue really what is the best thing to do as not had to deal with plasterboards in another life. Many thanks.

hi

ok if you go onto lafarge web site they recomend 3 coats to hide the joints

i have found out I can now do this in 2 ,,,,

first tape the joints with the mesh type tape not the white paper stuff, and then use lutece 2000 plaster type plaster for the first fill ( just fill the tapered part  and scrape back with a wide spatula )

next day second coat with the pre-mixed enduit pour bands fin. scrape this back as above . when dry sand it with a random orbital sander , I have fitted mine to a dust extractor so no dust ,

no joints can be seen when just painted

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/27-10-2006168.jpg?t=1168787820

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?action=view&current=PDR_0099.jpg

dave

Our guys also used the mesh tape, as Dave recommends.  Also agreed no need for 3 coats to cover the joints - they did it in one.  They were bloody good though, I could never have got it as smooth as they did in one.  Smooth as you like, no bumps or humps even if you shone a halogen across it.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/house/PICT0031.jpg[/IMG]

We haven't had much luck with this covering the joints lark. We even had a professional in to do them and I still wish that the whole rotten lot had been plastered. We have done everything mentioned on here and the dust after rubbing down, well I would rather not remember that.

Our builder friend, who is very very good at finishing, is in the process of renovating their new home and he has put one of these fibre glass thingy wallpaper type layers on all his walls and crepi'd the ceilings. He assured me it was the only way to not see the joints.

As Cassis said it is worth checking for any imperfections by shining a halogen lamp across the surface as it shows any bumps up. I know everyone has there own way of doing things but when re-furbing super-stores we used to seal all the new boarded surfaces with a very diluted roller coat of unibond. This makes it much easier to emulsion and more economical, plus if you paper, it hangs better and can be steamed off easier when re-papering.Always got all the trowels,inc corner trowels if anyone in my locallity gets stuck for the right tools.Labour not provided!!

Regards.5mins St.Malo

Yours certainly looks well done Cassis, ours joints don't seem to have be done as wide and don't need a halogen to see some of the bumps.  Not looking good!

What is the fibre glass thingy that Teamed Up has mentioned?  A type of wallpaper that can then be painted like anaglypta or such like.  I've seen paint that mentions for use on fibre glass and wasn't sure what it meant.

It's fibre de verre on a roll.  Usually patterned rather like anaglypta.  Goes up with colle de fibre de verre and you can get special acrylic paint for it.  I'm not sure, if you would really prefer a smooth wall, that you would not be better off getting the plasterboard properly smoothly finished.  I don't think it would be more work. 

I'm not keen on regular patterned finishes like laine de verre - plus you can often still see the joints between drops, so back to square one! 

I quite like enduit a cirer and torchis (usually done to give a rough plaster effect finish) but it depends what goes with your style, your taste and your building, doesn't it?

You can see it in any BricoDepot catalogue.  I'll bring you one at the end of the month, if you can wait until then.  If not, we've got one passageway done in an equivalent finish - honestly, it just looks like a rough plaster finish - which I could photograph and put on here, if you're desperate!

"Torchis à cirer" is a cosmetic effect supposed to be equivalent of an old building method which I think was like wattle and daub.  Both that and enduit a cirer (in both cases you apply the plastery stuff then apply a plain or coloured wax for sealing/decorative finish) are meant to cover up cracks and imperfections as well as give a decorative appearance - I reckon a properly finished plasterboard wall should not need them unless you are after the decorative aspect!

Here's how they are appplied

Hardly desperate, given the speed of our work - the viaduct for the layout is taking precedence! - I'll look out for the catalogue.  Sounds like just what I want though.  I want to leave the end wall as it is (stone) so need to use a finish that doesn't argue with it too much and will cover out botched efforts at putting up platerboard!  Useful stuff this, thanks.

hi ok

have not tried this on a placo wall but this is on a stone wall with a first coat of render ,then a mix off 1 part lime 1 part lutecce 2000  plaster and 4 parts sand   , float finnished then before it dries rubbed up with a plastic float .. same finnish but very cheap.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?action=view&current=27-10-2006170.jpg

dave