shutters

Nicos

Could someone please explain about the requirement for 2nd homes in France to be fitted with shutters??

I understand that all the groundfloor windows (and windows in doors) need shutters. Is this also needed for upstairs??

Can they be internal shutters- or do they have to be external ones?

I shall get in touch with the insurance company who will cover it, but

I was wondering- as time is now pressing- if there is a cetain

requirement throughout France, or whether it varies from one region to

another , or from one insurance company to another?!

We are in the process of getting estimates from 2 carpenters in our

locality, and they seem to be offering a very different service!

Many thanks[:)]

Insurance companies in France seem to like it if you have shutters on all windows and doors, though I don't think it is mandatory. I am not sure where 61 is in France but if it gets very hot in the Summer you will be glad to have shutters to close during the day [:)] just to keep the heat out!

The concept of internal shutters on inward opening windows intrigues me - but I have no idea as to any legal requirements. We have external shutters on all windows - ground and 1st - which help to keep the heat out in summer and the winter out in winter.

John

not

Check your insurance policy.  Ours requires shutters or bars on all windows on the ground and first floors, plus double mortice locks on the doors.  They are not all that complicated to fit yourself and Brico-Man etc sell reasonably priced ones which look fine when stained/painted whatever.

Thank you for that!

The house is in the Suisse Normande, and most of the windows are on the North facing side of the house.

One quote is for plywood and pine and the other is for exotic wood- quite a difference in quality!!

It's a longere we are buying, and want to keep the place looking 'nice' rather than borded up when we are not there.

Don't want plastic or metal as they would look out of character.

saw some very nice coloured plastic shutters on a house the other day, looked like wood but no maintenance bet they were expensive these were good quality shutters and not roller shutters same colour as the windows spect they will still look class in 5 years when the paint starts peeling on the wooden ones

[quote user="shimble"]saw some very nice coloured plastic shutters on a house the other day, looked like wood but no maintenance bet they were expensive these were good quality shutters and not roller shutters same colour as the windows spect they will still look class in 5 years when the paint starts peeling on the wooden ones[/quote]Shimble, the woodstain is guaranted for 8 years and perfectly easy to re-apply.  But you are right, some of the plastic shutters can look better than you think.  Worth a look around somewhere like LaPeyre where they have good displays of various types (don't necessarily buy them there as they're more expensive but you can see what the pvu ones look like).  I just prefer traditional wood myself - and the stain to the colours - but that's just me.

Wonder if I should ask my insurance company for a discount?  [;-)]

I have shutters on all but one window (and that is barred).
For the two roadside windows, which always look so forlorn when closed, I got someone to come and paint fake windows on the back of the shutters, and fake shutters on the walls.  See...

[IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/loiseau85/ml1shuttsmall.jpg[/IMG]

Angela

"It's a longere we are buying, and want to keep the place looking 'nice' rather than borded up when we are not there."

If it was an insurance requirement, why are they not fitted already?  The house must be a good few years old.[8-)]

[quote user="Loiseau"]

Wonder if I should ask my insurance company for a discount?  [;-)]

I have shutters on all but one window (and that is barred).
For the two roadside windows, which always look so forlorn when closed, I got someone to come and paint fake windows on the back of the shutters, and fake shutters on the walls.  See...

[IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/loiseau85/ml1shuttsmall.jpg[/IMG]

Angela [/quote]

Wow! The effect is astonishing - I adore the cat.

Sue

"It's a longere we are buying, and want to keep the place looking 'nice' rather than borded up when we are not there."

If it was an insurance requirement, why are they not fitted already?  The house must be a good few years old "

We can all advise on here but really it is best to ask your Fr. insurance company to give you advice. I don't think it has anything to do with whether the house is a main residence or maison secondaire.

Our Ins. company MAAF told us we would get a better insurance deal and they would be happier if we had shutters.

A local carpenter made ours and told us which sort he would be prepared to make according to local style etc.. Apart from the security issue, as many have already said the shutters are an excellent idea for shutting both out the bad weather and the heatwaves. Selon moi, money well spent.

All houses around us have shutters. As Blanche Neige says they serve several purposes, one of which is to protect the window panes during a storm. Last summer there was a hailstorm here when the hailstones were the size of cricket balls. Some of the windows in our house were broken as the shutters weren't closed at the time. So I can't really see the point of internal shutters. Pat.

So I can't really see the point of internal shutters. Pat.

Pat I have to agree although they would be good for security and keeping the room shaded in Summer or warm in Winter.

I have seen the internal wooden shutters where we stay in Brittany but only useful with the windows are closed. Will have to study them next time we night-stop there.[;-)]

The internal shutters I have seen are in northern Italy.

They are attatched to the inside of each window frame and open 

with the window closed . I suppose they are instead of curtains???

They also have external ones as well.

Just thought it might be easier to fit on some of the smaller fiddly windows which are surrounded by ivy.

I'd not thought about hail stones smashing the glass- they certainly appear jumbo sized further south!!

I have visited stately-home-type houses in the Vendee that have had interior shutters; they are fixed *to* the frame of the window itself, and sometimes open in varying combinations, half a window at a time.  I think they were used in the 18thC as a substitute for curtains, or maybe as early "double glazing".  They would not be very useful as a security measure, as they provide no extra obstacle against forced entry.

And they would be fairly unsatisfactory against summer heat.  External shutters allow you to close, or almost-close shutters, and keep externally-opening windows open - letting a current of air circulate.

Anyway, open shutters look so lovely against an external wall...

Angela

I'd check with your insurance company about the need for shutter (or for them to be closed). My own insurance company has no requirement for me (in my area) to have or close shutters. However, they "zone areas" and my policy says what zone I am in and the zone controls what security measures are required. I would expect that different insurers have different "zones" and requirements. Similarly I would expect that some insurers might have different requirements for properties normally occupied and those left un-occupied for longer periods.

Going through details of my insurance company requirement will probably not help you are a) you live in a different area, b) probably have a different insurance company and c) the occupation is different.

Ian