Strange Noise

mattjazz

Not sure if anyone can help in this section but here goes.
I was at my house in the Cher at the weekend and there were some very strange noises coming from the loft.The loft I should explain has a mud floor .The noises were a bit like cicadas but only four ratchet sounds at a time.Is it some kind of beetles mating call or something and if so need I worry about my house being eaten ?

I think we all dread the unexplained noises in our houses.  Whether it is the children noise coming through floors in a distorted manner or what.  I hope that your noise is easily explained by someone more knowledgeable and does not require a visit from the ''Insecticide folk''.

best wishes

Vern

We currently have the sparrow equivilent of Coronation St living in one part of our roof. Virtually every tile is occupied at one end of the house. Fortunately they can't get into the roof space and the goings on are pure cinema, noise, sex and violence.

[:)]

I've just googled death watch beetle and found a video which is what you have described!!

It won't copy and paste so I'll type it out for you:-

www.arkive.org/species/ARK/invertebrates_terrestial_and_ freshwater/Xestobium_rufovillosum/more/moving/images.html

Hope you can find it and I'm wrong- but it sounds exactly as you described

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Nicos"]Do they make more noise at mating time???
I'd still get someone in to have a look! Whatever it is, you'll need to know , even if it's something straight forward!
Let us know how you get on. Fingers crossed.

[/quote]

Everything except the English make more noise at mating time -It is one reason we moved to France -Best of luck

• 1 month later...