anyone want some old radiators?

Rose

Ok guys... bit of a long shot but we've removed all the old central heating radiators from our house.  We have 9 and judging from how heavy they are we think they are cast iron.  They're not rusted as far as we can see and although they have been painted they do seem to have some life left in them. 

We're 20 minutes south of Preigueux and if anyone wants them they're going free to a good home (or a bad one for that matter!) [:D]

Hi Gluestick... sadly they are not such little dears[:)]  The house was built in the 1960's but I'm not sure they are that old.  They are very very heavy.  We're having underfloor heating so we have no use for them.  We were going to take them to the dump or the correct alternative here... but just wondered if anyone would have use of them before we did this... [blink]

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/ppspecs/rads.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

They should still be totally usable.

A quick blast out and re-finish.

Excellent heat radiation from those!

[/quote]

Thanks again for that Gluestick.  We were going to simply dump them but my friends always tell me I throw too many things away!  We started using something called freecycle in the UK and it was fantastic.  When we moved we had loads of stuff we didn't want to bring with us and most of it went to a good home for more use after advertising on freecycle! 

I know this forum isn't the same thing but we thought we would give it a go to see if anyone could find a use for them... you never know! [:D]

[quote user="Benjamin"]Wasn't there another thread a few days ago saying that you can get really serious money for scrap metal these days due to a worldwide shortage?

[/quote]Yes, I think Ernie mentioned it on the "scrapping cars" thread.  Never chuck anything away that you can get a few euros for, Rose!

[quote user="Rose"]

We started using something called freecycle in the UK and it was fantastic.  When we moved we had loads of stuff we didn't want to bring with us and most of it went to a good home for more use after advertising on freecycle!  [/quote]

You can do the same thing here with freecycle as there are quite a few of them about; though I am not sure about Dordogne itself, but perhaps close enough to you: freecycle 

Sue

[quote user="cooperlola"]Yes, I think Ernie mentioned it on the "scrapping cars" thread.  Never chuck anything away that you can get a few euros for, Rose![/quote]

[Www] I think we were rather hoping someone may like to take them off our hands... they are sooooo heavy!  so if someone else would like to make a few euros?  [Www] [:$]

I've found the freecycle link for Perigueux - so we'll give that a go as well... never knew it existed in France so thanks for that! [:D]

We offered ours to Emmaus, could not believe it when they turned them down.  But I know what you mean Rose, they are a nightmare to get rid of, I would have gladly paid someone to shift them but as it was some big strong Brits who came and shifted them in minutes were quite welcome to them.  For anyone that has still got them, changing the radiators saved heaps on heating oil. Plus they get a bit disgusting behind.

I don't care if they look quaint.

Georgina

Rose, you obviously didn't need the money[:D] but having worked brocantes in the past and having seen your photo, radiators like that fetch between 2€ 50 and 5€50 per element, in your photo the rad had 13 elements......................if all were the same size.................that would have been in the region of 116 elements, the guys who took them away may have known this[:(]

[quote user="WJT"]We have just paid to have some old ones put in to match the rest of the house. We have been told that cast iron radiators are the best performing in regards to heat output.[/quote]

Wot I said in the beginning!

Unlike pressed steel or ally, they last for ever, merely needing flushing and de-scaling and gaskets changing.

Cast Iron rads are heavy and expensive: and have at least as good heat radiation as anything else.

Ally hats up more quickly (since it is one of the best conductors of heat).

Rads can always be covered in boxing if dust/dirt is a problem.

Sorry Gluestick of course you did. [:$] In fact, you are one that I have heard (read) this from previously. [:)]

The only draw back of iron rads that I can see is if you want to go from oil or gas to geothermal heating. Having said that without all of the information, I'm not sure that we would have gone down that route anyway. But starting from scratch I would certainly re-think having the lovely iron rads in the first place to give us more options in the future.