Putting in own electrics

melmoth

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Let us put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I am pretty upset about the tone of replies to this :

Now would one of you sanctimonious people like to post in detail about how you test the quality an earth with or without a MEGGAR I would be pleased to read it. Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive but I thought most of the replies were less use than a condom which had encountered a cheese grater.

[/quote]

Anton,

I dont consider that my reply was sanctimonious at all. It was a piece of advice that effectively stated that if someone does not fully understand the ins and outs of electrical work they should not do it.

Nick!

Just to make sure you realise I wasnt thinking of you when I coined the phrase "trollometer"[:)]

Reminds me of when I saw Lenny Henry live in a loal disco just after he had won "opportunity knocks", he can only have been 16 or 17 at the time and he certainly didnt have any loyalty to the man whose program ws his spring board to fame as he told the following joke;

"Hughie Greene had to visit the VD clinic last week, he got 140 on the clapometer"!

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

I have said this before and I will say it again

I am glad that I am just a plumber

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Not

I am glad that i  am just a plumber

BUT

I am glad that i am a plumber

Do not do yourselve down

Ex Chipy

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

I have said this before and I will say it again

I am glad that I am just a plumber

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Perhaps we all are? No, sorry - I'll 'fess up to something - I registered as a plumber 'cos the girl at the Ch de M said I could (despite having no quals & little/no experience) - soon deregistered when I realised that whilst electricity hurts, water is cold and is much more destructive... And quite alot of it smells.

Good luck to yer LP!

[quote user="powerdesal"]What is an acceptable reading of earth resistance?  A site electrical engineer here told me that 0.5 ohms is ok but I want to confirm it as it seems a bit high to me.
[/quote]

The minimum acceptable earth electrode resistance accepted by the Consuel in France for a 500 milliamp EDF trip is 99.99 ohms ( ie: below 100 ohms). This is a lot higher in France because most installtions have to be earth spiked wherby the Uk often uses a combined Earth and Neutral at the origin.

Depending on your ground conditions, this can be either fairly easy or almost impossible to achieve ! I often have to place 2 electrodes and the lowest I have achieved in the last 11 years of working here on a domestic installation is around 17 ohms .

Regarding the mini debate about "Meggers;"  Most old school Sparkies who did apprenticeships would still relate a Megger to an insulation resistance tester, rather than an earth electrode resistance tester, although that company obviously produces both. (Just like Makita used to be the only decent battery driver on the market when they first started to appear in the 80's).

The early Meggars used to have a wind up handle to produce the 500/1000V test voltage - used to be great fun seeing who could hold the croc clips for the longest whilst the other party wound it up !!! [:'(]

www.punchardrenovation.com

Sorry - I can't resist adding my 10 cents worth....

Getting electrical circuits to work is a fairly easy thing to do and installing a consumer unit is not that difficult for anyone with a degree of common sense. Once connected up and switched on there is every chance that the system will work without electricity leaking out of wires and joints etc. So.. Fill yer boots.

The part that needs the experience and knowledge is the ability to design and install the system so that it is unlikely to develop a fault throughout its life, and in the event of a fault developing, it is able to automatically safely disconnect the power before the fault poses a significant risk of electric shock and or fire. 

There are three ways to do this. 

1- Consider every possible eventuality of something going wrong, include all detremental environmental influences as well as everything the users of the installation, be they adults, elderly, infirm or children, can do to accidentally or deliberatley abuse the installation. Risk assess each consideration and include facilities in the design and construction to safely deal with these eventualities without causing unreasonable restrictions on the use of the installation. Get a regulatory body to accept your risk assesment and method statements so that if the system should fail you have some recourse. Then, after the installation is complete, verify that all the precautions meet the design specification by subjecting the installation to physical testing and visual inspection.  

2- Study a design criteria that has been written by someone else that is already accepted and approved by all the relevent authorities, spend around 4 years learning and practicing the techniques and theoretical concepts in applying this design criteria to any given installation. Pass all the required exams and demonstrate that you have the skills necessary to complete and test the installation to verify that the criteria has been met.

3- Get someone who has already spent the 4 years training and has passed the exams to install it for you.