Shocking abortion !

AnOther

A colleague here at work has just shown me this which he discovered in his son in laws loft after the property had been 'professionally' rewired. Words fail me and I'll never hear a bad word uttered against French electricians again [:-))]

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/0022.jpg[/IMG]

I would say that it was done many years ago judging by the colour of the earth sleeveing and the twisty grip American style terminations.

I reckon whoever did it was a real master, I challenge anyone to terminate that many cables in a junction box that small using dominos.

Here is one example of the wiring in my property 

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Electricity/CIMG0820.jpg[/IMG]

The colour of the sleeving used has me banged to rights for being the perpetrator who bodge repaired it but not the original work of art

And my all time favorite of a 5kw electrical shower head in a Bolivian, or possibly Peruvian hotel that I stayed in.

I guess that the electrician had run out of the twisty connectors and decided that other than the lack of insulation that would do. It was indeed a 240v supply not 110v.

Crazy as it was by that time things like that were so commonplace they were no longer scary, I was by then very smelly having slept rough for some time and I decided to chance it, things got a bit tingly once the steam started and I dried myself before turning off the by now live metal tap with a towel.

Other residents were complaining of getting a shock each time they turned on a tap or touched a pipe!

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Electricity/DSCF0408.jpg[/IMG]

The shower heads themselves were a great idea and worked very well when properly connected and earthed, its a shame that they could never be sold in Europe.

...a 5kw electrical shower head in a Bolivian, or possibly Peruvian hotel...

Common in South and Central America from Mexico to Patagonia. Simple and easy to use with only one tap to worry about; for a 5 kva unit the water pressure must have been above average. I bought one in Rio once before returning to Zambia via Cape Town, Joeys and Gaberone. I thought it would be a good idea to bring cheap hot showers to the townships, cost less than $ US 3. As a graduate engineer from Imperial I realised that it would not conform to the Central African Wiring Regulations and I was sorely annoyed when a bonehead with City&Guilds cut it in half to examine it and stuffed it up. There was a perfectly good X-ray unit at the local mine hospital.[:(]

We ain't got no 'Screwits', just chocolate block, but we got nicer, more sedate colouring [8-|]

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/?action=view&current=Jar-a-worms.jpg

All installed by pro French ellecies in 1982. There are loads of these around the house and all seem to be to the French norm.

Oh for crying out lud. Photobucket has changed and now how the hell do I post a photo rather than a link? Bloody PCs![+o(]

Perversely I'm actually relieved to know that this is something of a norm for the era as I have some like this in my 70's house. It doesn't exactly help when they are wallpapered over so you don't even know they are there though [:'(] and I wasted hours trying to trace cables until I finally discovered them. I think in those day it must have been a free for all and one day I'll rip it out and redo it, thank God for gaine !

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

Does anyone know the average lifespan for a Bolivian electrician

I suspect it,s about five years longer than a Bolivian electrical tester

Thank God I am a plumber

Le Plombier

[/quote]

The only one I know is the average life expectancy of the underground workers I met at the Potosi silver mine, - 37 years most of whom start work at 10 years of age [:(]

No pensions for them or their family, whenever I see or hear people moaning about winter fuel allowances or saying their income has dropped through no fault of thir own I think of these and other souls and tell myself how lucky the rest of us are.

At least ours is single phase! Mind you those boxes are all over the house and I've only looked in a couple [:-))] !

I do like the colour scheme in some of them though. I think that green/yellow has been reserved for 'earth', but otherwise the palet seems to be quite open>

Or how about my NFA (Norme Francaise Artisanale) tableau/

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/jr7man/Electricity/CIMG0816.jpg[/IMG]

This was the total protection for a 6 bedroom hotel with bar, kitchen and dependances; wired porcelain cartridge fuses (no problems with that) but as they are by their nature single phase and whilst they stop the circuit from working by disconnecting the neutral it remained live as the incoming EDF supply was reversed (and has been so for about 60 years).

Throw in for good measure that most of the circuits do not carry an earth conductor (it is old fabric and shellac insulated cabling in lead conduits) and for those that do most of them were not connected because the earth piquet had long since dissappeared together with the copper cables and links and you get an idea of the overall safety. The EDF engineer wished me good luck and suggested that I said a few prayers when he reconnected the incoming supply, - still with reversed polarity [:-))]

I have poked up with it this far apart from doing the bodged repair to the secondary fuse on the other photo but recently I was forced to reinstate the earth piquet when I could no longer use my pillar drill without gloves because of the tingling.

I should add that the apartment wher I live in the former dependances has passed Consuel and is safe, well as safe as my work can be [:)]

The secondary fuses I showed were used to cut off the lights in the bedrooms when the place was a brothel, the patron would do this if a client spent to much time with Madame