Removing Millstones

jehe

[quote user="powerdesal"]

Its always accepted that forum technical advice is given without guarantee and is 'caveat emptor' (I think thats the correct phrase, no doubt some legal eagle will correct me)

[/quote]

Probably, the latin tenet "Volenti non fit injuria" is more apt: (That to which a man consents cannot be considered an injury - You cannot blame others for the injury your have inflicted upon yourself).

One of the first aspects of tort I studied: a century or so ago.

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/V/Volentinonfitinjuria.aspx

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Gluestick"]

I don't think David Beckham has been the cover model for Private Eye.

[/quote]As it happens....

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/covers.php?showme=1176

Sorry, Gluey, honest.[/quote]

Well stack me sideways!

Don't show his wonderful tats though, JE!

[:D]

[quote] I must say that being rather girlie that if I were the op I'd still be inclined to get a bit of expert help on site as his building does sound a bit dodgy.  Is it a macho thing to have to try something even if it's potentially dangerous?  I get the pride in acheivement thing but surely a bit of advice from somebody who can actually see the site isn't "silly old 'elf and safety" but just common sense?  You wouldn't let a learner driver borrow your Ferrari and take it for a spin would you?  So why would anybody with no engineering background move something that  hefty on the advice of some (albeit experienced) chaps on a forum?  What if Jehe's whole home falls down as a result, or he's crushed by some fallen masonary or a beam which snaps?

[/quote]

JE: to place the matter in some perspective, we are talking, here about less than the weight of the new Jag xf: and far less than the weight of a SWB Range Rover: let alone say the US Spec LWB jobby.

We are not discussing lifting the Eiffel Tower: or even a 10,000 Kg lathe!

And, as Chancer has already pointed out, he has had to lift large bags of sand weighing more: and stacks of plasterboard.

(Edit) To add to this JE; back in circa 1968 a chum and I (Both ex Ford Europe) bought a load of Ford (US) V8 engines, gearboxes and ancilliaries, all brand new from Ford Industrial engines: they were originaly destined for Roots Group to go into Sunbeam Tiger sports cars. After the take over of Roots by Chrysler, naturally, they wanted to fit Mopar powerplants instead: so we bought up a lot at a very silly price: and sold the lot to John Wolf. They were collected by my chum on the race car trailer for his Cortina V6 (The first one built: much of it by moi: but that's another tale for another day) and stored in my home garage.

We lifted them using an ex WWII RAF Bomb Hoist I had, with new super-strength Dacron type cordage tested to ten tons, replacing the frayed hawser; using my domestic garage roof cross beam, supported by two temporary struts at each end: now a 7 Litre cast iron block Ford V8 runs about 272 KGs: or over 1/4 Tonne: and the 4.7 Litre not much less.

And that's just an engine!

Large cars have had to be lifted for many years: to place them very exactly on body jigs and body dozers, in accident repair. Did many, years ago.

It is not a case of an excess of Machismo: presumabably, if the OP was differently placed and with full respect to him, he would have instructed "His man" to sort out the whole renonovation, prior to zooming off to his Algarve villa in his Citation........... for a round of golf or two.

Aw, Gluey even I could move a Jag, or even a Jeep Cherokee for that matter.  Stick a jack under it, put wheels on and push the thing, or tow it with another car. 

As far as this thread is concerned, long after Jehe had said he'd get somebody on site at least to have a look, some posters were still encouraging him to take a flyer and have a go.  Fine, I really have no problem with it, I just find it fascinating how much people differ in their attitudes to these things.  Thus I have started the other thread on this subject so this one can go back to millstones, moving thereof.

But Gluey it's not about lifting the thing is it?  It's the fact that the condition of the building around it (and thus anything you place props on, or hang block and tackle from etc) is suspect.  I'm aware that people have to do work on double decker busses and TGVs and the like, but they tend to try to do so in proper workshops with proper kit.  Jehe's mill undoubtedly was once designed for the easy changing of the millstones but he has already told us that things have changed (and not in a good way) since the place was built.  That, as I understood it, was the source of his problem - not simply the logisitics of shifting a ton or more of stone. 

Gluestick wrote:  How comes you target this brandname, Nick?  (Hovis)

That my old pal Gluey was a bit of poetic licence on my part, in reference to your very interetsing article on grinding organic flour.

I don't think David Beckham has been the cover model for Private Eye?

Oh yes he has! Sorry, sorry I know it's a bit early for Christmas, but I couldn't resist it.

"Humourless outlook"? Another crass assumption: might interest you to know I write humour amongst other topics.

Wouldn't appeal to football fans though in all probability: far too intellectual.

So Gluey did you watch the football tonight,  I bet you were in front of the tele blowing your little vuvuzela? and telling jokes about Germans. [B] [B]

[quote user="jehe"]  I'm going to get professional advice first to assess the risks as some of you have recommended.
I think I'll buy some Acros as gluestick recommended to make the room safe to work/walk in for the meantime.
I'll plan work on that basis. I'll take some photos and see what you guys think before I start moving stuff.[/quote]

Well jehe, back to the original post, I'm still intrigued, how did you get on? anything to report or pics to post.?

I take it you're not underneath a collapsed floor . . . . Hello . . . Hellooo[:)]

Checked with mill owner across river and he informs that the changing of millstones was in fact rare as they would last for 40 years or so; but "rhabillage" of the stones  was done relatively frequently some 4-5 times per year. In working mills today due to very limited usage, often purely for visitors, the changing of "meules" is an extremely rare event.

Love this site JJohn. have put it on favourites. We live in a mill and luckily all was in good condition. It's such a shame the OP's need removing as with a bit of imagination they can be incorporated into the room .We have a round upholstered banquette, a large round coffee table and the other which is the bed stone only is just a round raised part of the floor.The part of the site about stones being evil because of the amount of people they killed only proves it's a dangerous operation to move them.

I was on Holiday in Hawaii and remarked to a tour guide that I saw very few coconuts on the coconut palms in the cities. The response I got was ...."We cut them down before they are ripe and may fall"...apparently someone was hurt by a falling coconut and sued for millions (It is the USA after all) This little gem was topped off by an interesting (if possible urban myth) statistic. "More people are killed each year by coconuts than by sharks".......There you have it.....Millstones are probably not evil at all and statistically are quite safe!............

[quote user="cooperlola"]Everything is a thingamyjig.  I don't know what a block and tackle is for, by the way. Those things I leave to the experts.[/quote]

Not true Coops, somethings are ''whachamecallits'', block and tackle might be racing terms, eg Hamilton put the block on him, but Button tackled Hamilton for the lead; thought you were an expert![:D]

Anyway back to that little thing called op, where are you jehe?, we're all stood around waffling waiting for your reply like blokes outside a pub waiting for it to open[:)]

Just John wrote: 

Anyway back to that little thing called op, where are you jehe?, we're all stood around waffling waiting for your reply like blokes outside a pub waiting for it to openSmile [:)]

Probably still ploughing his way through Pachapapa's answers, which before I  get accused of being impolite and of sniping once again, [;-)] are beautifully researched and wonderfully presented. [:D]

[quote user="pachapapa"]Missed being hit by a coconut at the Emperor Gold Mine in Fiji once by a whisker; first and last time I parked under one.[/quote]

I walk through a pinède behind my house everyday with my dog and I fully expect to be hit by a falling pine cone one day.

Pine cones may not be as big as coconuts but they have these sharp, pointy things on them and I bet they could do you quite an injury if they fall from a height.