Sealing/Painting Sous-sol

Keni

Hi, we need to seal/paint the sous-sol as everytime you touch the walls, stone or cement dust comes off and we want to make more use of the room -fridge/freezer room etc.

Any thoughts as to what we can use to seal the wall or paint it with. It appears to be an ancient stone wall, mixed and repaired with lime mortar (I guess) and cement patches.

I was watching "Help, my house is falling down" (yeah, I know!) the other day about a couple whose house was on the side of a hill.  They installed a kind of damp-proof, breath-able membrane on the wall which was against the bank.  I think that there's a link to this and how to do it on the Ch4 website, but it's very slow to get around so I have yet to find the link but it's somewhere on Channel4/4homes.  The problem of course, is that this is aimed mainly at British building techniques and materials so may very not be suitable for France, but it might be worth looking into. 

Keni- is the interior wall problem due to damp coming from outside because the wall is banked up with earth? If so the technique just mentioned is good - called tanking.

I only know because we had to do this with the sous sol of a modern house. Had to dig the earth out first and make a drain too, with perforated pipes and gravel. Then paint the wall (external) with ?bitumen and line with the membrane.

Hi, thanks for all that - the sous-sol is underground, literally the front of the house, the 'ceiling' height is the pathway outside. We discovered that the soak away wasn't, so that now might be solved, I just want to paint it all sort of white to seal it and stop stuff falling off, so I can put shelving along the wall and make use of the room, which we aren't at present. It seems to be just 'ground' damp now, we have a bag of hay, been down there for a couple of years, but still smells sweet, if you know what I mean. But just painting it (with what) would mean I can use it for the washing on a rainy day etc.

Gluestick's comment "it must be breathable" is most important.

Someone had painted the walls in our present house (which is built on a damp situation) with a plasticky type of paint. It was peeling off in places, and festering in mouldy bumps. Had to strip it all off.

Then when it had dried out covered with Lutex plaster.

[quote user="Keni"]Thanks for that everyone - will the pva solution be ok on a stone/unknown mortar//maybe lime cement wall?[/quote]

PVA does not breathe, Keni: it is basically impermeable.

With old stone walls and lime mortar it is critical to allow natural breathing: or the wall will "Die".

PVA is often used to seal surfaces and prevent bleed through and coating interaction.

Select a stabiliser which is suitable for the surface.

I would be rather careful.

Loads of useful webrefs: E.G.

Thanks Gluestick & all.

Have looked at suggestions and working through them.

Only really thought about painting it white originally to brighten/lighten the area up. F &* paint co suggested a distemper paint but have never tried that.

Any other thoughts will be gratefully received.

[quote user="Keni"]Thanks Gluestick & all.

Have looked at suggestions and working through them.

Only really thought about painting it white originally to brighten/lighten the area up. F &* paint co suggested a distemper paint but have never tried that.

Any other thoughts will be gratefully received.[/quote]

Old stone: lime mortar: then use lime-based paint.

e.g.

See here:

[quote user="Keni"]Thanks Gluestick & all. Have looked at suggestions and working through them. Only really thought about painting it white originally to brighten/lighten the area up. F &* paint co suggested a distemper paint but have never tried that. Any other thoughts will be gratefully received.[/quote]

Distemper is a lime wash based paint that will naturally combine and breathe with the the wall. Additives that can be added to prevent dusting are linseed oil, tallow etc. The oils form into spheres so allowing moisture to escape between the spheres. Personally I wouldn't use solvent based products (pliolites) as these are resins.

I dont think that any type of paint is gong to stick to a damp cellar wall.

Bitumen would but only if you were able to dry the wall first which sounds to be an impossibility.

The only remainig options are tanking or lining with pvc sheets which will just make the dampness even worse, you might with sufficient mechanical ventilation be able to stud line the wall with hydrofuge placo leaving it clear of the ground.

Have a try in a few areas with some paint.

Thanks to all for that - going back to Uk for 2 weeks (our daughter has bought her first house and it's a case of - Mum can you come and do some DIY & painting for us!) - as if I don't have enough on here!

Oh well - thanks for all that I will check out suggestions you gave whilst in Uk as well.

I'm just glad the new roof has dried out the rest of the house!