Flexible gas pipes

Iceni

[quote user="Iceni"]

I realise that most,if not all, of you know this but just in case - these flexible pipes carry a "replace before" message. I checked today and half of mine expired nearly 2 weeks ago.

John

[/quote]

Never looked but I would think at least 3/4 years ago.

I prefer to do a proper and regular physical examination rather than obediently abide by messages to line the pockets of the brico-sheds.

The one I used when I first got here in 2004  and had to camp in the building was marked à remplacer avant 1987 yet was in virgin condition. It is now attached to my barbecue but I dont expect it to last another 24 years due to now being exposed to sunlight

My propane space heater which came with a hose so short as to not even reach the detendeur of a 35kg bottle was quickly replaced not with gas hose (far too expensive) but 10 metres of airline hose, that was in 1992 and it is still in perfect condition today, I know because I check it often.

[quote user="pachapapa"]On barbecues, paella tripods, fonte grills and so on I use the flexible water connections covered in chrome that are used on showers, lot cheaper and better protection.[/quote]

I bet that makes your food a bit watery

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Only two things are certain: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not certain about the universe. Albert Einstein[/quote]

Are you intimating that I should change my 1997 gas cooker hose!

How Much!!!

That'll be the day, think about the economy stoopid!

Just a cautious note.

The core reason flexible gas pipes have a limited life is that the action of Propane and Butane passing over the inner surface of the synthetic rubber compound, causes microscopic degradation of the material and gas can leach out by osmosis.

The aging effect cannot be seen by the naked eye: or using a magnifying glass.

So I guess the important thing is to ensure when the fire occurs, do ensure the flexible gas pipe is totally incinerated in order that the insurance underwriters cannot repudiate any claim.[;-)]

And BTW too: flexible pipes designed for water are not chemically suitable for gas.

Rather like Oxygen and Acetylene: special purpose flexible tubing essential.

"And BTW too: flexible pipes designed for water are not chemically suitable for gas.

Rather like Oxygen and Acetylene: special purpose flexible tubing essential."

Gluestick could you edit your posting before 3XP reads it? I was hoping he would blow himself up and save us all a lot of earache in the future. [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]"And BTW too: flexible pipes designed for water are not chemically suitable for gas.

Gluestick could you edit your posting before 3XP reads it? I was hoping he would blow himself up and save us all a lot of earache in the future. [:D][/quote]

The polyethylene tubes installed in housing estates in france seem to function very well for both water and gaz; the french are very smart the polyethylene water tubes have got a blue stripe incorporated into them and the polyethylene tubes for gaz have a yellow stripe on them; it makes identification easy.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="NickP"]"And BTW too: flexible pipes designed for water are not chemically suitable for gas.

Gluestick could you edit your posting before 3XP reads it? I was hoping he would blow himself up and save us all a lot of earache in the future. [:D][/quote]

The polyethylene tubes installed in housing estates in france seem to function very well for both water and gaz;

[/quote]

Which are not flexible...............

'Spose they're OK if you don't mind laying the cooker on its side on the floor where the mains pipe emerges from the floor..................

[Www]

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="pachapapa"]

The polyethylene tubes installed in housing estates in france seem to function very well for both water and gaz;

[/quote]

Which are not flexible...............

'Spose they're OK if you don't mind laying the cooker on its side on the floor where the mains pipe emerges from the floor..................

[Www]
[/quote]

I was alluding to the what was the word you used..the osmosicity...of the containing medium.

As to rigidity of the connection in france the tube with the yellow streak on it has to be encased in metal as from a distance of not less than 4 metres from building.

Apologies to saying that the flexy had got chrome on it, I thought you would be more familiar with that term, it is in fact inox.

[quote user="La Guerriere"]In in the UK at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the last flexies I purchased were very long lasting: braided inox and something fancy for the plastic bits.. Cost a bit, but could be there for a very long time.[/quote]

Too expensive for me.[:)] Over € 50. But assuming it conforms to  XP D 36-125  then no limit with time

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Ah the old 'gas pipe versus - using my old shower hose' chestnut rears it's ugly head again. There is a special place for people daft enough to write such a thing on an internet forum. It's not as if a Loss Adjuster would happen by...is it?[/quote]

Not a likely event as the items concerned live in the garden shed on the other side of the road in the south garden when not in use.

They get some limited garden use during the warmer summer weather and even outside in the open air I would never take the risk of roasting chestnuts on them.

Mod Hat ON.

I notice that one or two people have irresponsibly suggested, either directly or indirectly, the use of different materials to make flexible gas pipes from. DO NOT under any circumstances use any form of substitute however tempted you may be. Failure to use the correct pipe will invalidate any insurance you have but worse is very dangerous and could have a catastrophic result.

Mod Hat OFF

Q. I have most definitely and certainly not suggested the using of different materials for making flexible gas hoses and at no time have I mentioned at any time or indeed advocated the use of a gas pipe.The fact of the matter is that different materials are used, as to the material used in france the french standards include the utilisation of differing materials from elastomers through rubber to polyethylene. Whilst the white rubber 5 year rated 1.50 metre flexible connections are still the most popular in france, they do suffer from one significant safety weakness, namely in respect of the lack of protection on the outside surface. The new flexible hoses covered in a flexible tress of woven stainless steel, similar to the popular flexible water connections, have largely resolved the protection problem.

The comments by Gluey as to the use of elastomers in flexible gas pipes does not really reflect the situation in france today, although I believe that they were used in the years immediately after the decond world war due to the shortage of genuine rubber; I can only presume that there must be some factory from the 1970s in the UK supplying a vested elastomer monopoly interest.