French uPVC windows,what cost?

CeeJay

I am about to start an extension and have to source 4 windows, not very big, size 105x80. I thought that uPVC would be a good idea to cut down on maintenance etc. so I had 3 separate devis from small companies to a fairly large one.

Shocked was not the term I would use normally as all the devis have come in at around 5000Euros to 5500 Euros, I can't believe it.

So I went on the web and found a site in the UK called uFit.com who give prices immediately. I input all the requirements exactly as I did for the devis for the French companies. For 1 window the cost would be £125. I cannot believe it.

What is it about French windows in uPVC, are they gold plated?

Quillan

Thanks but unfortunately the plans as passed for the P-de-C call for the size quoted and I am advised that it cannot change!

If I had known beforehand, the plans could have been changed to more standard sizes!!!

If that is a non-standard size, then I would keep the openings as required by the permis, but fit large frames to allow a std fit window to go in place. There is no requlation for the frame size surely? Brico depot etc sell matching channel sections for the windows that you cut down to size to allow the window to fit the hole you have.

Ceejay, You need to get some more quotes. We have been replacing windows over the past couple of years (can't afford to do it all at once) and we have used a firm local to us (actually in Ruffec). They install windows made by Millet, which is a producer in northern Deux-Sevres. As an example 4 double-vantail (2 opening frames) size 1200mm wide x 1350mm high, with oscillo-battant (tilting inwards) on one frame, came to 2066€ plus VAT at 5.5% plus fitting (86€ per window). Many people don't like uPVC, but we went for them because of the reduced maintenance. These ones are much better quality than BricoDepot.

Here in D-S (maybe in Poitou-Charente) the windows have to be taller than they are wide.

Have you asked any of your neighbours. Look for houses with the type you want and don't be afraid to knock on the door and ask where they got them!

I've just checked the spec for our windows which were done in uPVC a year ago.  Good quality - no problems

950 x 890 - €270 installed ht, but the discount wiped the tax out.

This was from a local supplier who sources the product from ............. Montpellier!!!

PM me for more details if you want.

How about this for an idea.

I just went and looked on our local(ish) Brico Depot site and the cost of a 105 x 60 window is 81 Euros. For the sake of 5mm either side why not open the hole size up slightly. I can't imagine anyone ever spotting this. Alternatively still widen the hole slightly, fit the window then 'screed' back the extra 5mm either side. The latter idea would also make for a better seal.

[quote user="Quillan"]

How about this for an idea.

I just went and looked on our local(ish) Brico Depot site and the cost of a 105 x 60 window is 81 Euros. For the sake of 5mm either side why not open the hole size up slightly. I can't imagine anyone ever spotting this. Alternatively still widen the hole slightly, fit the window then 'screed' back the extra 5mm either side. The latter idea would also make for a better seal.

[/quote]

Surely Ceejay's dimensions are centimetres (or very small windows!)?  Thus the diff is 100mm either side.

We have just had our rear portes-fenetres measured, supplied and fitted. 8 weeks from signing devis. Width just under 3 metres, height - just over 2.5 metres. Cream Upvc, superb - cost just under 2,700 euros! That includes taking down the old garage doors as well. Small local French firm came, measured and did all the work as they said. They are really good. Impressed - didn't cash devis cheque until a week before they came and still waiting to pay them remainder - no final facture come yet.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

You know, Gardian, the French propensity to use centimetres makes for confusion sometimes.

Why don't the just write 1.05 x 0.80 like we do in the UK?[;-)]

[/quote]

But surely it should have been written as :- 1050 x 800 as building works 'traditionally' quote in millimetres.

pwerdesal[:D] now that is how my husband always writes measurements down and then I write everything down in cms. It all gets very confusing. Add to that that a couple of our older artisans who were working here did eveything in inches. Like a mad house sometimes, well even more than usual![:D]

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="sweet 17"]

You know, Gardian, the French propensity to use centimetres makes for confusion sometimes.

[/quote] But surely it should have been written as :- 1050 x 800 as building works 'traditionally' quote in millimetres.[/quote]

But, Steve, there will be too many noughts if, say, you are talking big sizes that run into hundreds and even thousands of metres?

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote] But surely it should have been written as :- 1050 x 800 as building works 'traditionally' quote in millimetres.[/quote]

But, Steve, there will be too many noughts if, say, you are talking big sizes that run into hundreds and even thousands of metres?

[/quote]

Just to confuse even more check out the Brico Depot website and all their window sizes are in cms.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

As Powerdesal has pointed out, building specs require precision, hence mm's.  So a window cavity might be 1054 x 806.

An IKEA bookcase might well be 180 x 60 (cms).

Your chateau swimming pool is probably 12 x 6 (metres), give or take the odd metre. [:D]

Not confusing really, just the context.

Not many builders work to precision measured in mm's. Whereas the bookcase manufacturer will be working to tolerances much tighter, I do agree though that tye finished size of a bookcase, window, n'importe quoi is more likely to be made to a nominal size expressed in round centimeters.

In engineering at least the general consensus is to express measurements in mms up to 200mm, centimeters ups to one metre and metres thereafter.

Hence generally those practicing a trade involving measurements whatever the precision will say.

187mm : - Cent quatre vingt sept millimetres

876mm : - Quatre vingt sept virgule 6 centimetres

1200mm : - Un metre vingt

1055 : - Un metre cinq virgule cinq

Or at least I think that is what I hear but there is a lot of variation especially amongst non tech or non qualified people, I usually repeat the measurement correctly (at least in my mind correctly) and ask them to confirm.

And then there is my problem that even after 6 years I think that 17 is seize!!!!

Even I could see that the smallest measurements must be the most accurate.

When I was mixing up the oil and petrol for OH's strimmer only last week, I read the instructions carefully, and I knew I needed 2 per cent.  So............2 per cent of 2 litres.....err.....40 then?

Right, but 40 what?  Just to get an idea of what the amount would look like, I took out a wine bottle.  OK, 75 centilitres, so where does that leave me with my 40?

Took me a few tries to get round to 2 litres being 2000 mls and so I needed 40 mls.  I sighed with relief as I knew it couldn't be as much as just over half a bottle of wine!

Don't worry, I didn't blow OH to pieces, I got one of those medical measures that come with cough medicines and measured out 40 mls.

Litres are fine and so are mls but cls got me thinking............I even wished I hadn't funked so many maths lessons in school.

As a barely numerate person, I do wish everybody would use the same measurements to accurately express what they mean!

If you want to now what the definitive standard measurements are google S.I. units,  problem is, as we know many people are unaware of them or dont use them.

I suspect that for some items the marketing men also noyer le poisson , the one that always grates me is adverts for a vice, a clamp or whatecer, they say it develops or produces a pressure of X tons, or Y 100's of kgs, that is a force not a pressure and is meaningless without dividing it by the area it is applied to.

Even me blowing gently exerts a force of many tons if it is applied to a large enough area.