Replacement glass for wood burner

nick16

My daughter has just come back from staying at our French house. Unfortunately she broke the glass in our Godin Regent wood burning stove. All the shops were shut, so she was unable to do anything.

My questions are

1. Where would you normally buy the glass.

2. Is it simply enough to replace oneself.

3. Might it be cheaper to buy in the UK. We are not going back for another month.

Our house in on the Charent/Dordogne border near Riberac if anyone knows of a local supplier.

As regards fitting there can be some clips that hold in the glass and these can become "fatigued" after time and it is sometimes necessary to replace these. You probably need to do a google on your type of Godin to see if you can get an exploded view of that area - or do you have the original documentation ?

Don't rely on your local brico having the glass in stock.

I have a good friend who is a glazier back in the UK.  He very kindly sold me a bit of replacement glass for our woodburner when we lived there.  He told me afterwards that he'd had to pay (iirc) about £500 for the sheet from which he cut my little bit and the cost of it in wholesale terms had amazed even him.  No wonder the stuff costs.

Apparently the glass cracking after a few years is down to condensation dependent upon how you have treated the burner during excessive heat and then back to cool again because moisture can build up along the edges and this causes the glass to go,so it is recommended if you are brave enough to keep the edges dried and cared for, even removing,cleaning and re-fitting the glass regularly.Mine has just cracked right across a corner, the second time in the 16years since this particular stove was installed, however it is not causing any problems at the moment so I shall wait until the fires have stopped and then get it done locally at Mr.Bricolage. Last time the whole door to be re-glassed and edged cost about €100 at a local chimney installer but I did not like their service.