French for .....

Pads

Can any one tell me the words for ....

Lean to (or other name that is better) Basically Wooden post covered by planks to make wall, post coverd in galvanised sheets to make the roof , leaning against a barn

also word for:

Galvanised  sheets ( the rippled ones used for roofing)

Rubble  (lumps of concreat/stone )

On-going project

Many thanks for any help x

I had a large lean-to attached to the end of my big barn tall enough to accommodate a combine. It wasn't on the plan cadastral when we came to apply for PdeC but that's another story. The Secretary in the Mairie always calls it a Hanger, so that's what it remains (even if the item itself came down in the last gale)/

Galvanized  sheeting    -   Panneaux galvanisee ondulee ('e' acute 'e')

Rubble     -    can't remember...see it all the time on the hopper with rubble in it at the dechetterie (I must be having a senior moment)....Ah yes 'Gravats'.    [Not to be confused with the rubble you infill the centre of a solid wall with, which the locals here call 'torchi' which almost certainly isn't spelt like that !]

On-going works    -    projet en cours

p

EDIT : yes. 'Appentis' would be more appropriate.

Many thanks Gyn paul

Talking of  plan cadastral  I believe these lean to's are on this . Do you think I should say they are going to replaced in the future? I will be one day but have more important work to do first.

I have heard mine called Hanger as well , although it was only wide enough to take a large car or small tractor.

The reason we have taken them down was so the builders could reach the roof of the main building and because they were so dangerous and would of fallen down soon and I had nighmares about the roofing flying off and killing some one in the next strong wind . As they were road side .

Just going to get some pictures to show what I mean  

before

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/pads_03/IMG_5823.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/pads_03/IMG_5818.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/pads_03/IMG_4238.jpg[/IMG]

After

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/pads_03/IMG_6194.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z22/pads_03/IMG_6282.jpg[/IMG]

Do you think I will have to replace them ?

Rubble/hardcore, = gravats.

If intended for infill then - remblais.

Most modern roofing sheets are the square(ish) section electrogalvanised powder coated type, they are known as Tôle bac acier, the double skinned insulated ones are Tôle bac acier isolée.

Also boys while I have your attention...

I want to put wooden shutters on the big back window but the walls are round ..... what options do I have as they are going to stick out alot if straight ... dont want metal roll up type ...would like to keep rustic looking

[quote user="Pads"]

Also boys while I have your attention...

I want to put wooden shutters on the big back window but the walls are round ..... what options do I have as they are going to stick out alot if straight ... dont want metal roll up type ...would like to keep rustic looking

[/quote]

The window frame is  not curved though is it?

Put the shutters as close to the frame as possible?

The window is flat but its when the shutters are open and they will be quiet large ones. That I think I will have a problem. As they will not lay back flat and will stick out , Im thinking about having them hinged in the middle so they will curve around with the wall. Would this be possible or will it cause a weakness when shut in the strong winds ?  

I did think about this but the view is fantastic out of that window and I dont want to cut down on any of the viewing area.

Now the roof has been done I think that is a large chunk of the job done .... It will be a big job ...but for me a labour of love Im very excited by it , just wish I had the money to get it done faster .

The way I would attack it is to sort out the window reveals and frame to receive 'tri-fold' shutters which would lie flat within the reveal and be concealed from view by the frame...alternatively if you want the 'look' of shutters ..why not simply hinge them in the middle so that the follow the curve of the wall?

[quote user="BIG MAC"]The way I would attack it is to sort out the window reveals and frame to receive 'tri-fold' shutters which would lie flat within the reveal and be concealed from view by the frame...alternatively if you want the 'look' of shutters ..why not simply hinge them in the middle so that the follow the curve of the wall?[/quote]

Yes I would like to have shutters ...so I think the hinged way is best ....trouble is I was also thinking of a balcony on the back wall as well .....but that not for a very long time and may not even happen as I like the look of that wall and wouldnt want to break it up ...

[quote user="Pads"]

I did think about this but the view is fantastic out of that window and I dont want to cut down on any of the viewing area.

[/quote]?   I don't quite understand that comment Pads.  Our wooden persiennes don't affect the view at all - they fold back just like the big ones do but are in 4 bits, rather than just the one.  Bought from and made to measure by Lapeyre, where you can see them all on display before buying if you want to see what I mean "in the flesh", as it were. 

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Pads"]

[/quote]?   I don't quite understand that comment Pads.  Our wooden persiennes don't affect the view at all - they fold back just like the big ones do but are in 4 bits, rather than just the one.  Bought from and made to measure by Lapeyre, where you can see them all on display before buying if you want to see what I mean "in the flesh", as it were. [/quote]

I assumed he meant ones that folded to the sides of the windows like the old victorian ones here , But now Im thinking they fold to the out side wall , which would be Ideal...

I shall have a look for a Lapeyre website and see if they hae any there .... Thanks  

No they don't Pads,  they do fold into the side of the window reveals but for heavens sake they are only a few of inches wide when they are closed, you really aren't going to loose very much view; unless of course your windows are only about a foot wide.

In case it's any clearer, Pads, "persiennes" are made in sort of narrow vertical strips, and fold back concertina-style to fit into either side of the window recess. 

Depending on the width of the window they have to cover when they are in their "closed" position, they might take up about 3cm on either side of the recess when concertina-d back into their "open" position.  So they really don't cut out any light to speak of.

The only downside is that you don't have the pretty effect of the open, normal shutters lying either side of the window, if that is a concern to you.

Angela

You could get a pair of volets made in CCMIC to whatever spec you wanted Pads. They could be made split with a hinge in the center so they folded flat to the wall when they were opened. It isn't a very sharp curve after all

They are on the Eastern adge of Carcassonne on the N113, Narbonne road. I had my workshop windows and doors made there to my spec and they are good..

Like wot I said Jonz albeit I would personally prefer the 'tucked into the reveal option' and probably in powder coated aluminium. With all the palaver it would be easy enough to make the opening up to whatever size one wanted to optimise the view. The window itself would be flat so you could even have a roller shutter  with the shutter box built into a 'dummy' oak lintel....or vertical blinds...or captive venetian blinds...

Of course, you know how to make a venetian blind BM  [:-))]

I think that Pads said that she definately doesn't want to go to roller blinds and keep it trad. That barn has to be seen to be believed. Been there, seen that and I can understand what she is going to do [:D]