Fosse and rainwater..

Bill

Plse may I pick all of your combined brains again...

does rainwater go into a Fosse.. ?

here in the UK as you know it doesn't.. but I am being told in France it must do so, and I think that's a confusion between rainwater from the roof  and grey water.. But as usual I may be wrong.. I believe rainwater should go to a  soakaway or indeed into the ditches with no big issues..

If I am right can anyone point me towards the legislation or guide line or similar.. thankyou.

Bill

I can't answer for others but my rainwater does not go it to the fosse it goes straight in to the river. My other grey water (showers, baths etc) does go in to the fosse. If you are going to excavate to install a new fosse then you might consider putting a grey water storage tank in so you can collect the rain water (shower and bath water as well if you like) and use it to water the garden seeing as in France water is metered. Most of the houses round me that do not have river access do this.

The problem with a fosse is it is an extremely balanced device. Putting bleach and other chemicals in to it via the toilet(s), sinks etc for example can seriously damage it killing the bacteria that makes it break down the solids. We have to be careful for example just with the kitchen sink, we can't bleach it for example and have to buy special cleaners that are 'fosse friendly' which of course cost a few pence more.

thanks Q ,     I may also of  found my answer  here..

http://www.spanc.fr/page.php?action=page&lk=controle&lg=fr&tp=h

seems to suggest, rain water is kept  seperate..

Main items of a die ANC compliant DUT 64-1

Collecting: It applies only to domestic wastewater. Stormwater must be discharged separately

unquote

Principaux postes d’une filière ANC, conforme à la norme DUT 64-1

La collecte  : Elle ne concerne que les eaux usées domestiques. Les eaux pluviales doivent être évacuées séparément.

I would still like the confirmation, that I   have the right end of the stick..

thnks

Bill ..

Make sure you understand the difference between Fosse (actually Fossé) - which round here means a ditch, and Fosse Septique - which is your tank. Our rainwater goes into our Fossé everything else goes into the Fosse Septique . People talk about fosse as a sort of generic word. Under no circumstances should rainwater go into your tank

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

"I believe rainwater should go to a  soakaway or indeed into the ditches with no big issues"..

It does.  Most of the rain which falls on France ends up soaking away into the ground or into ditches......

[/quote]

You can call me stupid as well if you like , for when u put it like that  ,  I clearly am  !!! 

I was being told quite forceably ,  rainwater must go to the fosse septique .. and I'm thinking this is nuts, but when in Rome/France do as   ..

rgds

Bill ..

Hi Bill

No rain water doesn't go into a Fosse. We have a Matrix Microstation and all our grey water flows directly into the village drains and as it is a sealed unit without any soakaway there is never any rain water. I think it must just be the different between a fosse and fosse septique.

Hope that helps.

Eugina

Rain water most certainly did not go into our fosse septique, ever. I suppose that it would depend on the fosse system, but ours was not designed for such an eventuality and if it did, it would have been broken and would have needed repairing promptly.

If you think about it the answer is self evident.

Rainwater is relatively pure so why on earth would you want to channel it through your fosse septique where it can only possibly become contaminated - simples!

All the rainwater from my property, plus the grey water from the showers and washing machine etc, go into a large recuperation tank which we then use for watering the garden and in the pressure washer etc.

[quote user="AnOther"]If you think about it the answer is self evident.

Rainwater is relatively pure so why on earth would you want to channel it through your fosse septique where it can only possibly become contaminated - simples!

All the rainwater from my property, plus the grey water from the showers and washing machine etc, go into a large recuperation tank which we then use for watering the garden and in the pressure washer etc.
[/quote]

hi ok

It`s the grey water from the showers , washing machines, etc that causes the pollution ...This is the water that should go into the fosse ... human waste is actually good for the land /////////// have a re think  look up phosphate damage

Dave

[quote user="AnOther"]But would the same necessarily apply to a older fosse septique ?

[/quote]

No the eaux ménagères and eaux vannes were kept separate; there are frequent cases where a system is bought into present day compliance by  routing the eaux ménagères into the existing fosse arrangement. This will usually be accompanied by a recommendation to install a grease trap but the grease trap is NOT obligatory.