The Deux-Sevres

We are doing our first proper bit of property hunting in the Deux-Sevres area in late June/early July, and have narrowed our search down to either the Gatine hills around Secondigny, or the area around Melle, further south.  Currently living in a part of the UK that was badly flooded last July, I can't help noticing the abundance of lakes and rivers in this region, which we love, but can anyone tell us if these areas are prone to the sort of flooding which affects properties?  Flooded fields are fine, as they would be in Gloucestershire if people didnt keep building on the flood-plains!! Also could anyone point us in the direction of self-catering accommodation which is let from Monday to Monday in these areas just for 2 adults, I have done all the usual googling but not having much luck!  Thank you!

I agree Woody, we live in a hamlet a few miles from Melle and we are the only brits living there. A few in surrounding villages but nothing like areas further south from us. What is wrong with having some brits close by especially if they can speak better french than we can and it is entirely up to the individual person how much contact with brits is made. It definately does not flood where we live and it is a pretty hamlet with friendly french people living there.

[quote user="woody234"]there is a few brits living in deux sevres but theres alot more in the vendee and dordogne[/quote]

Facts please, especially regarding the Vendée or did you really mean to identify certain areas?

You don't show where you are: is that intentional?

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="woody234"]there is a few brits living in deux sevres but theres alot more in the vendee and dordogne[/quote]

Facts please, especially regarding the Vendée or did you really mean to identify certain areas?

You don't show where you are: is that intentional?

[/quote]

Sorry but I thought the question was fairly explicit.

Is the Vendée overrun by Brits or are there specific areas where they have settled?

woody234's statement was a bit sweeping.

By the way we've lived here for three years and we've been in and out of the area for the last 14 years.

Hi

I wish there were an abundance of rivers and lakes here in the Deux Sevres but there is not. Vienne our neighbouring department has more. The reason for moving here was the lack of rain and due to the soil (full of stones and rocks) no, more like rocks and more rocks, we have no problems with drainage.

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

I think there are quite a few Brits in the Chef Boutonne area, as well as in the villages around St Maixent l' Ecole, and in the " Gâtine ", which is a lovely area, the countryside is just beautiful , and looks a bit like England, my English partner says.

It is obvious there are less of your fellow citizens here in Deux Sèvres than in Dordogne .

The weather here is much warmer and less wet than in the haute vienne , ( 87) . The Hte Vienne is a lovely departement yet, I'm not criticzing !

As for the Vendée( 85 ).. I just don't know! [:D]