parafoudres

Gyn_Paul

We live out in the sticks, - which is appropriate, as those are what our electricity is delivered on. So it follows that T-storms, as the meteo sites like to call them, will frequently put a zaaaaapp onto our mains, which - while it doesn't seem to do any damage - trips out one/two or all three of the ECLB's on my three tableaux in various combinations. This is a pain, of course, with timers and clocks and computers and printers etc etc etc having to be re-set each time, not to mention freezers and fridges, and the storms always seem to be worse here at night.

We don't live in a zone where parafoudres are obligatoir, so I haven't rushed to fit one given the price, but I'm wondering if one upstream of the 1st tableau would cure (or at least reduce) the incidence of tripping?

Oddly in the last storm, while all the boxes stayed on (the EDF one never trips) I discovered next day my Sony flat screen tv was as dead as a dead thing. The odd thing being that none of the other TVs was affected, and they all share the same satellite LNB and the same RF multiway distribution amp.

Even more weird was the fact that when I came to take off the back and gouge out the power board some days later, I found it had recovered from its shell-shock and was quite prepared to work again !

Self-healing chips are a new one on me!

paul

Someone will probably say differently, but there's almost certainly no definitive answer to this.

I can only say that having had our PC 'torched' a few years back, I unplug everything important (PC, SKYbox, TV) when any thunder & lightning gets close. Yes, I've got parafoudres, but it aint worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.  Chances are 9/10 that we wouldn't have a problem, but ...........

Lightning is the only thing that scares me - all the betes and other things are no particular problem. But lightning is the only thing around here that could kill me!!

Gyn_Paul

not had a trip yet - although various disjunctures (sorry cannot think of the UK term) have tripped over time during storms.

Gardian the ones you are talking about are basically rubbish. Otherwise, why do Orange, who insisted I needed one to protect their livebox, now send emails every time a storm is due with the instructions to unplug from the electricity and phone supply lines.?

If there is any resistance between your parafoudre (either type) and earth then lightning will bridge the air gap and fry your gear. Most houses earthing systems are quite suitable to protect against a short, or against you getting a significant shock, but that does not mean the earth is good enough for a lighting strike on the power or telephone lines.

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]

We don't live in a zone where parafoudres are obligatoir, so I haven't rushed to fit one given the price, but I'm wondering if one upstream of the 1st tableau would cure (or at least reduce) the incidence of tripping?

Oddly in the last storm, while all the boxes stayed on (the EDF one never trips)

paul

[/quote]

I'd never heard of a "parafoudre" before you posted and had to look it up. I use same as Gardian for my PC etc and not had a problem with lightning strikes (although we have lost a couple of trees). Our EDF trip pops off every time there is a hint of a surge, maybe yours is faulty and should be replaced?

I presume you are talking about these? http://www.legrand.fr/professionnels/les-parafoudres_442.html

How much do they cost?

• 2 weeks later...
Most interesting thread.

A woman living in our local canton town, suffered a house lightning strike some few years back, which destroyed everything electrical/electronic in the house!

Needed a complete re-wire and replacement of each and every piece effected.......

Lightning enjoys a potential (between ionosphere and earth) of at least 200,000 to 500,000 Volts: and has current of current of about 2×10-12 amperes/meter2.

Useful facts resource here: http://www.aharfield.co.uk/lightning-protection-services/about-lightning

Parafoudres: the physical size of these modules is totally insufficient to prevent static electricity forming a spark between the incoming main and the tableaux earth connection and thus to ground. After all, remember, the lightning itself is a form of spark with sufficient energy to jump between the cloud source and a convenient earth; which is a long way!

The only modality offering high levels of building protection is a LPS, which is a sort of Faraday Cage.

Spike/Surge Protectors: These offer electronic equipment (PC's, Laptops, VDUs, stereos, TVs etc) limited protection from aberrant mains electricity voltage "Spikes" (Sudden random increases and decreases), EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) and etc. Cheap power strips are worthless. The only type to use are those made by respected mainstream manufacturers offering equipment damage warranties. and, as already pointed out, have a limited life.

UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supplies): These are essential for mission-critical data handling, since they offer the time benefit of saving current work and closing down correctly, to preserve operating system integrity. A good UPS also acts as a power smoothing device, ensuring output always remains constant, despite mains fluctuations. They additionally offer surge/spike and interference protection to the highest UL (Underwriters Laboratories) standards. The better UPSs also have telephone system sockets.

A UPS will not sadly, protect against a major lightning strike, as the voltage potential can be sufficient to "Fry" the box!

Personally, when storms gather, I always unplug everything electronic and the cordless telephone. I also disconnect physically, modems routers etc, from the telephone line.

Call me paranoid: I don't care, however a major personal UK domestic disaster last year was a very sobering lesson............

To provide an idea of a lightning strike, look at this amazing picture!

http://www.capturedlightning.com/photos/Lightning/Lightling_Kane_Quinnell-1.JPG

This has brought back the memory of my OH looking completely exasperated, bewildered and momentarily angered when the next door neighbour's children told us that the parafoudre on the church protected the whole village from lightening....... the teacher had told them, so it was TRUE! And they were not listening to the bloke next door!

When they had gone, my OH was beside himself, muttering and mumbling for hours.

Strangely they lost their tv when the house was hit and our other neighbours lost their fridge freezer!

The other thing that the neighbours kids were apparently told at school was that the setting sun was more dangerous for the skin than the sun at it's height. They wouldn't listen to any other suggestion.

[quote user="Théière"]Interesting Gluestick,  There is also another way [geek]

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/180351-lightning-rods-are-so-last-century-next-gen-lightning-protection-and-harvesting-with-high-powered-lasers

[/quote]

Just a tad of OTT in such an approach there, I fear, T!

[:)]

If lived in an area which experienced regular electric storms, T, then I would probably fit a basic lightning conductor to the top of the house.

In eleven years, the only lightning damage we have suffered was a damson tree.

Meanwhile, I'll still unplug - almost - everything and hope.................

[blink]

[quote user="Théière"]That reminds me of a camping trip to Henley many years back. Lightning struck a caravan and everywhere there used to be power points there were holes as the aluminium melted away.

[/quote]

Interesting, T: since the caravan was ally, then this ought to have acted as a Faraday Cage. Perhaps it did and created such a huge level of potential around the 'van, this induced charge to earth via the mains.

Funny old stuff, static electricity. Well remember as a youngster, sitting in the kitchen eating lunch with bros and Mum during a Summer storm and a blue hovering cloud of static charge entering via the window, hovering above our heads and then suddenly, striking the radio. Which sort of blew up!

Years ago, I flew from Mexico City, via San Antonio to Houston: since US Immigration Service were paranoid about illegals, all pax were kicked off the aircraft at San Antonio and had to go through immigration. As I walked across the tarmac to the 'plane a huge storm was building. We took off and flew into the storm! Scary...... Despite me - trying - to reassure myself the 'plane was a Faraday Cage, the old knuckles were rather white....[blink]