Plastering

Tim steele

Do a google france search for the area you want to live in.

I only know of one person who had internal walls plastered in their home, we didn't and it is not usual, at least where I lived.

However, most of the homes were rendered, if you do crepi, then you should find work.

If you can set up on your own, you might be able to persuade people to let you skim plasterboard, but it could be uphill work to get them to accept anything different.

I had some new plasterboard skimmed by a local British plasterer, who came with a young French man who he had taught to use his methods.

The finished job was superior to any French joint finishing I have seen, and cost less, because they did the whole job in one day instead of spreading it over two or three days while each pass dries, as is the custom here.

They also plastered over multiple layers of paper, which I was very reluctant to attempt to remove, on some masonry walls. They were not keen to do this, but the plaster is still sound after 5 years.

You don't say which area - I will say every decent plasterer round me is busy so there's a lot more work than some of the answers imply.

There's Brits who've grown up with a skim rather than the tape and join and much prefer the finish - or have houses that have existing plaster walls that need a skim or more once the wallpapers been removed. All my walls are 100 years old and all have existing plaster so I'd always have them skimmed

Board and tape is the norm on new builds and new partition walls - but as I say properer plasters round our way are busy.

@ Chrisell

Busy in terms of 'Brit' customers or French ?

I don't know anyone 'French' who would employ the services of a plasterer personally. You can buy lissage at any Brico place and do it yourself. That is what I do.

Don't get me wrong, I have just finished a bedroom/cinema room and would have employed the OP to plaster the place for me. Really I would have done.

Don't have a clue - just know you have to book well in advance. Plastering is one thing I cannot do well enough to hide my mistakes - I had my 10 year it can't be that hard reminder when I screwed up the en suite. I don't care why they-'re busy - I just want my walls tidied up. If they-'re not busy its because they're not very good

In somewhere like mine with quite ornate cornice I don't see how anything but a wet skim would work - but mine is constructed with a deep plaster but I also know most locals hide the plaster under wall paper which is what I'm half way through sorting.

Every wet plasterer is British I will admit so it could well be the majority of their work is for expats - but there is work - and on FB there's always people (-Brits) searching for plasterers. So is there work yes - is it mainly for expats probably. Building type is a large factor - the Maison de Matre (sic) types really need a wet plaster to my mind.

Area probably matters - I'm in the sticks and they do huff and puff about travel

And the ONLY people I knew of who had their home plastered inside, he was french, she south American and she wanted it doing. A turkish plasterer did it for them, this was years and years ago.

Apart from that in my nearly 30 years in France I knew NOT of one other person who had it done, and I knew rather a lot of people over that time!

Frankly I would never move somewhere to depend on british customers. And I reckon that british customers will be shocked by the prices fully registered artisans have to charge. AND let's face it, post brexit, the authorities may be

checking up on artisans being properly legal and registered rather more than they do now.

As I said, as the OP had said that they do crepi, then I am sure that they could find work doing that. Hard to make a living in France being an artisan and over the years, I knew of many that went under.

chrisell, no idea where you live, but why move to France to be surrounded by 'brits'???? As so many prospective expats say that they are moving to LBF for the 'culture' and 'lifestyle' and then move somewhere where there are enough brits to warrant plasterers, well, pray let us know where you live, because if we end up moving back, I don't want to be there, REALLY I don't!

When we moved into our house in the Gers it was damp as it had just been a holiday home. The previous owners (british) had had the walls plastered with some kind of plasticky stuff, and it was all blistered and flaking off. It all had to be scraped off and replaced by some ?lime based stuff, can't remember the name.
Another solution is to leave the stone walls uncovered, just fill up the cracks to make safe.

We had a house rebuilt from scratch in 1990, using French architect and entrepreneurs. The partition walls (cloisons) between the rooms were made of that hollow, ridged brick stuff; the outer walls had similar hollow walls erected on the inside of them. All the walls were plastered by an artisan "plâtrier".

At what point did I say I was surrounded by Brits? I said that maybe the main wish for wet plasterers was ex pats. The OP probably wanted an answer to can I earn a living. Jump to your Frencher than the French conclusions all you like - the only other Brit for miles is my cat. I have a house built by the French 120 years ago that has no plasterboard in site and for some odd reason I renovate it in keeping with how is it was built

Well....you did say...

"I will say every decent plasterer round me is busy so there's a lot more work than some of the answers imply"

You kinda do imply they are British plasterers. They can't be French. Unless you live in Paris. Do you live in Paris ?

Anyway. What is with all this Brit cat business ? What is wrong with French cats ?

Hmmmmm ??

You come over with your RHD death traps, Brit cats, fish and ships and order your food from ASDA in UK.

Why do you bother moving to France ? Hay ?

Brit cats !!! God almighty.

French cats are better !

OK I'll bite, just how many people does everyone know getting internal walls plastered.

I lived in the Alpes and it was NOT something that anyone had done, as I said, I knew of one exception where the wife was not french. Some people had lime finishes in very old homes, which were not smooth finishes.

IF there are already plasterers, and hardly anyone gets this done, how can a person make a living?

Still as I keep saying, the OP says they do crepi, and homes do get crepi'd on their external walls all over France, as in those regions where they use bricks, there are still homes with crepi finishes. That is how they could perhaps make a living.

I certainly would not be depending on plastering. And it is hard being an artisan in France.

The chances of getting an employed position as a plasterer are pretty remote I think. So yes, it would come down to setting up a business from scratch and all that goes with it - going on a course, figuring out social charges etc, getting your pricing right and finding enough work,

After 10 years of it, I'm getting tired and I wouldn't recommend starting a business here unless you' have experience of running a business in the UK and you're sure of your niche in France. But that's probably the weary old person in me speaking. The OP is young and may be up for the challenge.

Eric, I think that people don't get it done, because if a french artisan did it, it would be very costly, very costly indeed.

Since we moved back to England, it has been really nice, getting someone in to do jobs, as in comparison to France, it is cheap here.