Advise on Haute Vienne

Hello All, My name is Paula I am from the north west of england and new to this forum. I have been looking at buying a holiday home in France and have viewed a few in dordogne area. I am due to view a property in Haute vienne. However, the estate agent told me the property is pretty close to a road which is the N147, it is set back approx 30meters and is secluded at the back. What i would like to know if any one can help, is if this road is known as a busy road and what it would compare to in England ie duel carrige way. A road or by pass??? Also, i would be interested to hear about the Haute Vienne area.I would be grateful of any information.

Regards Paula

The N147 is the Poitiers to Limoges road. It is not a main route up to Paris but is pretty busy two lane black top. Trucks everyday except Sunday - Fleetwood to Preston, not the m62, byway of comparison. We had and enjoyed a holiday home near Rochechouart for ten years. We moved further South when we retired because it was seriously warmer and because Bordeaux has much more life than Limoges

Thankyou for your reply, does this mean the weather is not to good.. I dont like too much heat, i like weather mild and sunny.. I have 2 girls age 8 & 9 and they are the same. We have a typical working lifestyle and live in a seaside town and need somewhere to escape too and if the girls have a pool to swim in they would be happy.. Any advise??? 

The N147 is a major road with lots of lorries.  The weather in the East of the Haute Vienne, where we are, is never guaranteed - tends to be colder in winter and warmer in summer, but it is good enough.  Today is beautiful  mid 20's.  I've sent you a private mail to see if we can help further.

Paula, if you don't want too much heat you perhaps need to think about being either further north or near the sea. Inland France south of the Loire can get very hot for long periods in summer. We're in southern Normandy and it's quite hot enough for us.

Haute Vienne is a nice part of France, more picturesque than surrounding departments (except Dordogne, in my opinion).
Many might say its wetter and colder but everywhere someone will say its better somewhere else.

As a holiday home the Haute Vienne is a nice place, I wouldn't buy on the N147 tho when there are plenty off it.

Have sent a PM regarding properties in the Dordogne not yet on the market.

Good luck

hi

dept 87 is lovely green countryside, not as hot as the dordogne.  I like the monts de blond area around mortemart, blond, vaulry, cieux, there are some nice old properties there but never seen too much for sale.  Its all about personal requirements and finances.  I'm here in june pm me if you want to pop in then for a chat, I'm 30 km east of the monts de blond area. 

Our house is in the south of the department near St Junien. I agree with all that has been said before especially the comments on the weather. It is very variable - when the heating engineer was installing our hot water system in Feb 2007 the temperature in the barn was -4C - he sent me a photo of our thermometer [:)]

We visited last in April this year and on one day the temperature in front of the house was 22C in the shade.

If you don't want it too hot then I suggest further north, but always below the Loire - that seems to be the break point for the sunshine[:D]

Above that and its just like living in southern England.

Late Addition: If you really like the location, why not try to ensure your property has somewhere with shade, pergola, canopy or some such so you can be outside when its really hot?

the triangle around Bellac, le dorat, La soutterraine has a lovely micro climate lovely hot summers and mild winters, quite popular ex pat community, and lovely countryside plenty to do in the summer and within drivable distences form life in the winter 1/2 hr to Limoges airport, lovely place to bring kids up

Hi, thanks for the advise everyone, i have only just managed to get on line.. I have been working today and running children to clubs etc, today is the exact reason why i want to get away from it all. Iam still searching the internet and like both areas, Limousin and the dordogne. The prices appear more affordable in the limousin.  Can any one advise, the prices shown on the estate agents detials are they set prices or can they be negotiated much? If so what would the average reduction be on around 200,000 euro amount?

Thanks Paula

Just to pick up on a couple of your points - The N147 is a very busy road and I'm sure you could find somewhere far nicer than near that road. The Dordogne is one department, the Limousin is an area made up of three departments - Haute Vienne, Creuse and Correze, all with their own characteristics, and their own climates and prices! Normally though prices in the Dordogne tend to be higher than most places in any of the Limousin.

Prices quoted by agents are always negotiable - never offer the asking price. It's difficult to say what the reduction on 200,000 would be, it would depend on the property condition, where it is, what's included etc etc. Have a good look around at what's on offer before deciding on anything, that will give you a better idea of where you'll eventually be able to start your negotiating price! 

Hi, It is making a lot more sense to me now, following advise given. The main questions now is the interest rates and which companies are the best to go to. It gets a bit worring every time you switch the news on latley, so i don't mant to make any mistatkes in france..( I put a new message on about this instead of adding it to this one.)

Paula X