how realistic is our budget ?

Using current rates of exchange your budget is about €22,500. I have listed below some firgure that may be of asistance to you. Since you are not retiring for another 2 years i am assuming that your pensions will keep pace with inflation, that is currently 3% per year. I have also assumed that you will have cover for 2 years on your E106 and that the last year can be taken from your emergency fund.

€

Top up Insurance with axa                                  1,800

Tax habitation                                                        700

Tax fonciers                                                           700

Water rates                                                            300

Telephone unlimited                                                600

House Insurance                                                     350

Food                                                                   5,200

Car costs    repairs etc                                            900

Diesel                                                                  2,340

Clubs and associations                                            300

House maintenance                                                 600

Garden costs                                                          350

Tools etc                                                                250

Car insurance                                                         450

Mobile phone costs                                                200

Entertainment                                                      1,700

Lawnmower maint                                                  180

Income taxation                                                      580

Social security costs                                            1,400

Heating maint                                                         160

Above it a list of basic items, dogs in your case could add quite a bit more.

hope the list helps.

ams  

Ams - I don't know if your figures are meant to be complete. If so, you have left out heating lighting, cooking costs, ie gas electricity, firewood etc. For us these add up to at least 3000€ pa.

I've had to work out a budget as a 'single' person and I had to allow a minimum of 600 euros per month to allow for all essential bills. (I would prefer to slightly over-estimate). Being a single person does not necessarily mean that your bills are halved.

To this you have to add food, petrol/diesal,  wear'n' tear, entertainment(?)  and have an emergency fund. You also have to take in account  the type of life -style you lead. You may  also have to factor in return trips to the U.K.

At the moment the exchange rate means your 'guaranteed' income no longer exists and that is something else you have to consider.

Hope this is of some help.

The hardest thing ever to quantify, is what you consider a decent standard of living. 

My husband and my friend earn roughly the same amount of money, we have about the same size mortgage and the same outlook on life.  I don't go out to work as our 2 children are only 18 months and 3, my friend lives with her boyfriend who earns a 'reasonable' salary.  We both consider we are struggling and having to make sacrifices and continuously disagree over what is a reasonable income for this region, bearing in mind we are all bi-lingual (more or less) and have worked here for years.

On the positive side, being a bit short of money living here, is infinitely preferable to being short of money in the UK and wild horses wouldn't drag me back there.[:D]

lots of food for thought here - thanks ! - I guess the crux of the matter is that if we want to step off the treadmill of work then we must be prepared for a significant drop in our incomes and this will apply whether we  stay here in the UK and get rid of the mortgage by downsizing to a smaller place with less land or move to France where we can get  a detached country house with a couple of acres for the same price (and hopefully a little more sunshine ! ). I suppose the plus side of staying here in the Uk is that I could do supply teaching on a part time basis to supplement our pensions.... but ....It seems to me that there will always be a reason to carry on  working and with our kids grown up and the possibility of taking our pensions early this seems a good time to rethink and enrich our lives in a realistic way.

Yvonne

And to think that 3 years ago towards the end of May we were sitting in the garden at our house in the UK with the plans to buy a holiday retirement house in the UK. However, it was so cold and miserable that we decided 'let's buy in France'. So we bought in the SW.

In our two weeks there a couple of weeks ago we had 2.5 nice days and the rest cold and wet.

Just looked at the weather on Meteofrance and I see that it is still raining.

Anyone want to swap a house in the UK for one in France (only kidding as the qwuality of life is so much better).

Paul

[quote user="Patf"]Ams - I don't know if your figures are meant to be complete. If so, you have left out heating lighting, cooking costs, ie gas electricity, firewood etc. For us these add up to at least 3000€ pa.[/quote]

Of course these budgets are as long as a piece of string and determined by lifestyle expectation, however, for the purposes of this exercise I would also suggest that income tax of only 580€ on an income of 22,500€ is 50% optimistic although the social security costs look equally as high and are totally dependent on the level of savings held and rental income

However, the combined taxation total would not be far out for most on modest incomes and savings.  Its important to flag up these contributions sociale on savings interest as few people seem to be aware of them before arriving in France.

lets see, married couple, pension income, lets just look at the facts,

just on the parts, ignoring allowances for pensions, allowable repairs etc

Net income taxable €22,500

First €11,374 at 0% equals 0

balance of €11,126 at 5.5% equals €612

i guess your knowledge of the taxation system and method of computation leaves a lot to be desired.

ams

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Yvonne,

I can't answer for your living budget, but with £200,000 to spend you should be able to find a decent place in much of rural France. Have a look at the Logic Immo site below. You might find the maps of departements and regions useful as well..

In Limousin, for example, there are loads of terrains under £50,000 and you could build a pretty decent house for £150,000. There are lots of houses under your budget, too.

There are areas where property prices are not far from UK levels -- I'm in Vannes, southern Britanny, at present and I know of houses for sale locally in the million pound range. However, this area is exceptional.

http://www.logic-immo.com/

http://www.drimmo.com/carte.php

http://www.gauloise.com/carte-regions-france.html

Finally, you might find this site useful -- climate by departement.

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/climat/france.jsp

[/quote]

I think it is a pity with so many old buildings in France in need of restoration that many people. particulalry French, prefer to build new houses.  Of course it is often the cheaper route and the easier but a pity.  In my opinion.

[quote user="vincam"]

I think it is a pity with so many old buildings in France in need of restoration that many people. particulalry French, prefer to build new houses.  Of course it is often the cheaper route and the easier but a pity.  In my opinion.

[/quote]

For many French people, building a new house is the only way they can access property, as it is cheaper than renovating and restoring old property. Although now, some of the younger French generation are buying a ruin and gradually restoring it themselves over a period of years. 

Posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep within the code of conduct:

Users must not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.

• Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

• Make libellous comments about individuals or companies, including Living France magazine and FRANCE magazine.

• Contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language)

• Impersonate or represent any person or entity in an attempt to deceive, harass or otherwise mislead another member.

• Incite illegal activity

• Infringe intellectual property rights

• Transmit any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)

• Link to and/or references content not allowed under these guidelines.

• Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant

• Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum