Paying French Income Tax

Sabina

In our region, things are changing.

The Ille et Vilaine has been selected to be an area of an experiment that is taking place, in that tax forms will be sent out late, sometime in early May and be pre filled in, leaving it up to you to agree or to change or if undecided or unsure, then then a visit to the tax office to sort it out will be required. Forms have to be back by the end of May.

In some other areas forms will be late at around April time.

They mentioned this on the radio today, Ile et Villaine is in fact the only region where this experiment is happening. Also, for the tv redevence being included in the taxe d'habitation, if you don't have a tv there is a box to tick on the income tax form.

All our business and personal income tax forms came over a week ago here in 29. By the way for those of you with children away studying and living in digs either private rental or internat, please note that if they have their own TV set on the premises they must have their own TV licence. If they live with someone who already has a licence for the property then no problem. Also regarding over 18's, if they have been working during the holidays and are away studying they must also declare their earnings either individually or on the parent's return but this can mean a higher charge for Taxe d'habitation this year as you are no longer getting allowances for them. My daughter has been advised to do her return individually so we do not get a higher TdeH bill and she may even get a rebate when grant payments received etc have been sorted against earnings for last year - see your accountant if you have a query.

[quote]Forgot to say I pay UK tax on the UK earnings[/quote]

We fill in form 2042 which contains all domestic details plus French earnings, if any and 2047 which is for income earned and taxed "en etranger" including UK. They both arrived this week. 

[quote]Thank you for that Chas, someone also said I might need 2042c, do you get that or does anyone know what it is please?[/quote]

Sorry, don't know 2042c. However, I believe all the forms are listed on the tax web site. I have both government pensions and state retirement pension.  I visited our tax office for advice and was assured that 2042 & 2047 was all I needed. They were very  patient with my limited French and very helpful with completing the forms. 

[quote]Thank you for that Chas, someone also said I might need 2042c, do you get that or does anyone know what it is please?[/quote]

2042 is the basic declaration(simplified for 2004).

2042 C is used is you have gite income (section "NO" on page 2)

if you use 2042 C, you will also need 2042 P which is used by your commune to tax you on the extra work incurred by your visitors!

All 3 forms can be ordered online or downloaded (PDF format)at
http://www.minefi.gouv.fr/commande_formulaires/index.html

or via
http://www.impots.gouv.fr/

(sorry, copy & paste as I can't do links with Mozilla!)

(Fixed links for you. Belinda)

[quote]2042 is the basic declaration(simplified for 2004).2042 C is used is you have gite income (section "NO" on page 2)if you use 2042 C, you will also need 2042 P which is used by your commune to tax you...[/quote]

Well now I'm completely confused!

Managed to print off forms 2042 and 2042c but they seem to be for the year 2003 - Declaration des Revenus 2003 and Declaration Complementaire des revenus 2003

I am wanting to declare gite income for 2004, the first year I rented my property. I live in England during the winter months and am domiciled in UK

Have I got the wrong forms?

Please advise a.s.a.p.

Sabina

[quote]Well now I'm completely confused! Managed to print off forms 2042 and 2042c but they seem to be for the year 2003 - Declaration des Revenus 2003 and Declaration Complementaire des revenus 2003 I am ...[/quote]

Your forms must be "...Revenus 2004", as they relate to the income earned in 2004.
Have you refreshed your browser (F5 on keyboard) as you may be viewing pages you looked at a while ago...?

I downloaded mine yesterday with no problem: just type 2042 in the search field adn they will all be listed, or even better, order them online from

http://www.minefi.gouv.fr/commande_formulaires/index.html

If all else fails, the Mairie should have copies!
Good luck

If you have any problems filling out the forms, the following link may be of use to you and to many other people sending in their tax returns this year.

This information is from a tax seminar I attended in the Dordogne yesterday hosted by the local french tax offices.

"Ask your questions about fiscal problems in English at:"

[email protected]

[quote]Your forms must be "...Revenus 2004", as they relate to the income earned in 2004. Have you refreshed your browser (F5 on keyboard) as you may be viewing pages you looked at a while ago...? I downloa...[/quote]

Tried the F5 button but still got the 2003 forms!

Finally telephoned Centre des Impots for Non-Residents (00 33 1 44 76 19 00) and have been sent the correct forms. Now all I have to do is complete them and return them before end of April. I asked for the Taux d'Exchange Officiel to convert gite income from sterling to euros but was told to use £ sterling as she did not know the rate for 2004!

Sabina