Taxe d'Habitation - late?

gail17

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally received my TH bill in Cher (18). Bit more than last year but not too bad.

Best news for me is it is due on Dec 15th and I will be there from the 4th and can therefore pop into the Tresorerie and avoid all those transfer fees or drawing money out of the hole in the wall and then going in and paying it into my account just so that I can write a cheque.

This time next year I will be a permanent resident so no problems and cant wait!

We got ours today, to our English address. We seem to be the only people in the world who have to pay more property taxes in France than we do in the UK (750 TF + 450TH). Surprising as we've only got a 2 bed semi in a small town (in France). C'est la vie!

Sorry, haven't had time to read right through this thread and it may have already been said but,

you can pay monthly on line for 2007 if you have a French bank account. You have to register by 15th December for your first monthly payment to be made on 15th January.

Go to www.impots.gouv.fr

You can also pay your 2006 bill on line (plus foncieres, taxe professionelle and your income tax) and with taxe d'hab which was due 15th December, if you pay on line you get an extra 5 days!

[quote user="KathyC"]We got ours today, to our English address. We seem to be the only people in the world who have to pay more property taxes in France than we do in the UK (750 TF + 450TH). Surprising as we've only got a 2 bed semi in a small town (in France). C'est la vie![/quote]

KathyC, you are definitely not alone. 

The operative word in your posting explaining the rate of your taxes is probably 'town'.  As more and more British buy in or nearer towns, the myth of cheaper property taxes in France will no doubt start to disappear. Local friends tell me that the poorer the town, the more expensive the Taxe Fonciere and Taxe d'habitation and that explains why that of Paris is very low. 

I've been told that the logic behind it, as in the UK I suppose, is that you are paying for the extra services that the country dwellers lack, hence large properties and low taxes for them and the opposite for us. The poorer towns taxes are higher because they have fewer businesses to gain revenu from so this is passed onto homeowners (TF&TH) and the employed (TH). 

Anyway, that's what my local friends tell me and what I have understood from various articles. 

If anyone else has any other theories, I'd love to know.