using financial advisors

mint

Slightly off-topic but relevant.  I have just been watching a marvelous documentary movie "Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room" - an object lesson as to how an entire nation of investors(and many major international banks) can be fooled into making disasterous financial decisions. 

Excellent concept guys and thanks for your time and effort.  This should be really useful.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gluestick

looking forward to the results of your efforts!  in the meantime, look after yourself.  i can imagine how cold your part of france must be.  never been that far north but we were in southern normandy and the le mans area january 2006 and i can honestly say that i had never been so cold in my entire life.

weather's not great here in south wales, bucketing down most days and uniformly grey, so no great incentive to do anything very much

Thanks Sweets.

Hope so Cooperlola; I do feel that once it starts, many members can chuck in their own hard won experience as we go along and this should then build up to quite a good knowledge base.

Normally, Cassis, it doesn't actually bother me too much. However, since it had been cold and particularly wet for November and December, it took 36 hours at least to bring the fabric of the house up to a reasonable temp.

Hopefully, the new oil-fired central heating should be in later this year and then we can leave it "Ticking Over" much of the time. I am also looking at installing one of the telephone controlled switches, to be able to turn the heating on remotely, so I could switch it to "normal" hours On/Off, two days before we arrive.

All rather depends on where the price of oil goes! [blink]

Had lunch with English friends who are about 35 minutes further inland. He leaves his gas heating on 365 days a year at 10 degrees. When he told me how much he spent on gas last year I was horrified.[:'(]

Sorry if this is around on this thread somewhere guys, but can we have a contacts list of recommended people such as accountants/brokers/advisors etc that forum members have used and been satisfied with?  Or does this constitute advertising?  I have lost count of the number of times I have posted my accountant and my insurance brokers's contact details on the forum for people searching for same.  Maybe the same questions wouldn't keep being asked if there was a list, or a thread within your section, for us to post recommendations for finance-related contacts.

It is an excellent idea, John- Eric. (In joke for motor racing affecionadas of the 60s/70s).

Also having thought about this since it was posted, perhaps Russethouse, there is an excellent further opportunity for Archant to run a classified ads section in conjunction with the new thread?

After all, the reason people come to this site, is to seek information about living/buying in France?

coops

i have had reason to thank you in the past for your accountant so i do hope your idea comes off

cassis

are you in drag for your part as the pantomime dame?

gluey

tell your friend that we ARE all supposed to be watching our carbon footprint and saving the planet from global warming!

cheers all

[quote user="Gluestick"]

This thread has created significant interest and response. 91 replies and 1,553 views thus far.

I wonder, therefore, if there is a demand for a sort of "Expert's Collective" thread, like those in the House Renovation section? There would seem to be quite a good variety of potential input available, from various useful retired, semi-retired and still working professionals.

Not investment advice: that would breach financial law, both potentially in France and the UK and no good professional would care to undertake such. What I am considering is the detail stuff: for example, I'm sure many members own shares. but how much do people really know about the equities markets? Options - Puts and Calls: What's a Day Trader? What's the difference between  a Stock and a Bond? What's the difference between a Corporate Bond and a Government Bond? What about the Commodity market?

And so it goes on!

There are already copious threads advising on the search and purchase elements: and certain aspects of law relating to (e.g.) inheritance and etc.

I am thinking more basic advice on approaches, methodologies and available products which would enable members to draw up their own Action Plan and critical point list before setting up meetings with potential advisers. From personal experience, it would make the adviser's task easier too!

Perhaps Mods could kindly comment?

[/quote]

Daytrading etc...this is a popular site:  http://www.elitetrader.com/

a USA site

As is: http://www.trade2win.com

a UK site.

The above are really for short term traders.

Other sites exist for longer term traders such as: http://www.fool.co.uk/index.htm?source=iemwfml10200001

The sites have their share of fools and dreamers but also many knowledgeable people, so take nothing at face value and take care.

In addition; never assume that banks etc advertised on these sites are there because they are the best for you. They are there because they pay to advertise. Therefore read with care to sort the useful thread contributor from the useless.

Good luck[:)]