Notaire or agent.

mooky

That's not really true, notaires charge a sales commission too, of 2.5% to 5%, plus 19.6% TVA, though that is generally less than the agents' charges of 4% to 8% TVA inclusive (can be more in percentage terms for very low value property). It's only by selling privately that you avoid commission.

A few notaires are quite good at marketing and advertising, though most are not, so if reaching a larger public is important you are probably better off with a agent - though some of them are not too brilliant either. Best thing to do is to place the house with a local notaire, plus several agents, and advertise privately as well (if you are able to handle buyers' queries and organise viewings - bear in mind that you will probably get a lot of time wasters). It won't cost you anything, other than the cost of private advertising, but will maximise your exposure.

Avoid at all costs exclusive deals with agents. They may offer you a high valuation to get you on the books but high asking prices can be off-putting to potential buyers - bearing in mind the current market - and your exposure will be unnecessarily limited.

Which ever way you go, make (or commission) a website with lots of photos giving the kind of information that a British estate agent would. Do plans of the house and all the rooms with dimensions. Give distances to local facilities - shops, schools, golf clubs etc.

In a buyers market it pays to do more than anybody else.

Bon chance

Could someone also tell me how much I have to pay out to sell a house. I have just been reading the Connexion newspaper. It says something about a new law saying each house must have a diagnostic done on electricity installations. Do I have to get a termite, woodworm survey done. I have lived in the house for three years, having renovated it, and having an electrician rewiring . I assume a termite survey was done then. Sorry, but I dread the selling bit. I want to go home because I am on my own with no family here, and feel quite lonely;

As far as I know, mooky, a report on the electricity installation is only necessary if the system is more than 15 years old.

I think a termite report is needed.  Someone more knowledgeable will be along to advise, I'm sure.

As you've said you feel lonely and, being conscious that it's New Year's Day, I thought I'd reply whilst you're waiting for some other replies.  I hope it's comforting to you that there are others who are in touch with you.

May the New Year bring you joy and I wish you Good Luck with your move.

I believe the survey reports only have a limited "life" so it might be better to wait until you have an interested buyer. May be wrong on this?

Another thing it's useful to have is a recent report on your drainage/fosse facilities. (From SPANC.)

Mooky

When we were looking for a house we would trawl the estate agents websites or, if in France, look at the window, or if open go in, and make bookings in these ways.

We never looked at Notaire listings.

Whilst it might have been beneficial had we we did not.

Suppose a bit of a problem by being used to the English system - you do not go to a solicitor to find a property.

I would go via the agents. Must admit I was very impressed by the details that normally accompanied properties from agents on the www.bluehomes.com website but the house we bought was not via that source.

It would also sound as though you wish to move quickly so you need to get the best exposure.

Paul 

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Check out the price of these surveys as they can vary a lot. I think electricity is compulsory from this month but may be wrong.

Have a look at Greenacres as a place to sell your house, and the Living france site too. You dont need agents.

[/quote]

Yup, started yesterday 01/01/09. the diagnostic lasts for 3 years.

[quote user="P2"]

Mooky

When we were looking for a house we would trawl the estate agents websites or, if in France, look at the window, or if open go in, and make bookings in these ways.

We never looked at Notaire listings.

Whilst it might have been beneficial had we we did not.

Suppose a bit of a problem by being used to the English system - you do not go to a solicitor to find a property.

I would go via the agents. Must admit I was very impressed by the details that normally accompanied properties from agents on the www.bluehomes.com website but the house we bought was not via that source.

It would also sound as though you wish to move quickly so you need to get the best exposure.

Paul 

[/quote]

Our house was listed on a notaire site and an agent, the price was 10k more in the agents listing. We went the notaire route.

Thank you Twinkle. I am not unhappy here, but the opportunity has come up for me to work part time in a parish, and buy a very cheap house. Nothing like the size of this one, but near two of my sons and families. That is what I miss, and it means I can be useful again. At 60 I am too young to go for days without seeing anyone.

Thank you all for your help. I just want to go now, sods law I won't sell.