Don't you just hate banks (with due apologies to any bankers present)

AnOther

Now what I love are the banks that irrespective of when paayments go into the account at the end of the day the statement will show any outgoings before any ingoings:

Look at bank balance first thing in the morning and it shows that money has gone in that morning so healthy balance.

Pay for a few things with a bank card in excess of what was in the account the previous day.

When you next look at a statement, the opening balance will be the close on the previous day. Next it will show the outgoings and the final item will be the ingoing that had been shown as being there at the start of the day.

One bank that does this is A&L - one that does not is First Direct.

Paul

I can but illustrate my my most recent transactions Athene:

July 18th - €400 debited as £269.73 = 1.483    HiFX rate for the day was 1.488

July 25th - €400 debited as £268.29 = 1.491    HiFX rate for the day was 1.495

If you got your € in the last couple of days then HiFX has been around 1.475 or 1.480 so neither your 1.422 nor 1.466 look particularly good to me, and remember I don't have to do anything more than click the mouse and then draw the cash from an ATM in France (except wait 5 bl**dy days of course!).

I always make sure I bring enough € with me to UK to cover the trip back to France so don't have to source them in UK.

M&S, who are usually the best on the High St., were offering 1.424 over the counter yesterday.

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="ErnieY"]

B****y banks, how, in todays technological environment of instant everything, can they possibly justify taking 5 days for an online money transfer !

On Monday morning I transferred £5k from my Lloydstsb A/C to Nationwide and whilst the money disappeared from Lloyds within the hour it has only appeared at Nationwide today. Luckily I didn't actually need it to be there urgently but that's not the point.

Daft question really though because of course we all know the answer don't we !

Grrrrrrrrrrrr 

[/quote]

Haven't the UK banks promised next day transfers from some time this November?

[/quote]

Backpedalling rapidly he said........ I've just seen a report on BBCi where a spokesperson for Apacs (formerly the Association for Payment Clearing Services) has just said that the proposed move for same day transfers for telephone or internet instructions has been postponed from this November until May 2008 due to "the complexity of their systems".

Sorry Ernie Y.  [:D]