P85 / FD5

Gardian

The key here is the timing for completing the various forms.  HMRC need to know when you are leaving the UK so they can send your file to the CNR.  CNR send you the FD5 and when it gets back to them, they process the refund.

Here's what happened in our case:

November - contacted my tax office and advised them we'd be leaving the UK in February. They sent us the P85 which we filled in and sent back.

December - letter from the CNR stating they now had our file, and enclosing with a couple of blank FD5s.

May - submitted first French tax declaration together with completed FD5.

July - new French tax reference allocated and tax avis issued for payment in September.  At the same time, Paris sent the FD5 with new French tax reference and stamp back to CNR.

September - received UK tax rebate ahead of the due date for French tax payment.

Happiness.....[;-)]  

Well yes, SD.  But whenever you did it all, may have been a year or two back.  Don't know, but I can only speak on current / recent experience.

What I've described above is what's happening now, this month, this year.  You've chronicled events which led to a two / three month gap between the FD5 winging it's way from your local Impots via Paris to Nottingham and you receiving a rebate.

All I'm saying is that (for me, at least) it hasn't been anything like that. Oh and a quite straightforward tax position, i.e. a couple of occupational pensions with P60's provided etc.

Eight, going on nine months in total, for the same bit of the documentation's journey, rather than your two. The distinct impression I got from the (very helpful) staff I spoke to on the telephone, was that they were under a lot of pressure.

Oh well, it's all part of life's rich tapestry !!!   

I agree, G, it appears to be a current problem.  Both my o/h's pension provider and mine are the same - his took a couple of months (a year or so ago) but at present there seems to be a huge backlog.  I'm a year behind him because I didn't begin to get my pension until after I got here. Maybe the numbers moving over are increasing?....

• 1 month later...

My pennies worth:

I'm waiting for a tax rebate for 2006/2007 as I paid a bit too much last year. I have to deal with the Leicester Tax office unfortunately... I was told today that they are currently dealing with tax returns submitted on the 26th April!!  They finally recorded mine on the system August 7th, after I originally sent things through to them at the beginning of April.  By my reckoning it will be christmas before I get anything, a full 8 months after first contact.  New procedures are to blame apparently.  However, if I wish to complain then I can, and complaining is the only way to get them to change procedures.  So I look forward to the same "New procedures are to blame" excuse next year as well!

I imagine the complaints will increase if, as well as still paying tax in both countries because they cannot get their digits out of their b*cks*des, we have to pay for our health insurance too.  Did they tell you if there is an official complaints procedure/ anybody specific we should contact?  I am still waiting too...  Humph.

Have a look at HMRC's paper on  [url=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/about/corporate-responsibility/cr-strategy-plans.pdf]Delivering Corporate Responsibility: HMRC Strategic Framework and Plans[/url].

If you feel they are not meeting their objectives, I'm sure Paul Gray (Chairman, HMRC) would like to know - particularly if you tell him you've copied the Secretary of State...[;-)]

[quote user="crazyfrog"]I don't know of an offical route. I complained last year and wrote to "The Director" of the Tax Office I was dealing with and it filtered down to a minion in customer relations.  It's a shame, when they are chasing me for money, that I can't use the argument that my post room is inundated and there will be a 4 month delay![/quote]

yes there is an official route to complain.  Look at HMRC web site and it tells you how to complain.  From my experience it is best to put your complaint in writing and not do it by phone.

Carol

• 1 month later...