Income tax registration obligation with E121's pensioners?

milkeybar kid

Just very curious as I have yet again met a couple with E121's been here for 7 years and not

registered for tax. In all this must be about the 12th couple we have

come across in the 6 years we have lived here.

Can someone please point out where it does say if you have an E121 due to pension entitlement that to aquire this you must be in the French Tax system.This couple were adamant they did not need to prove this - I cant remember if we did or not have to prove it, yes we are registered before someone shouts!

I am begining to think it is us thats the fool in doing all by the book.

Please can I use this to bump my thread on " being taxed on a life insurance policy" as we would like the interest from it  desperate to know if we are allowed any allowances as we are only a poor pensioner s.No replies to the thread - perhaps I have worded it badly , it was the tears that did it![+o(] Anybody there[Www]MBK

As far as I know...

1.  If you are resident in France you are obliged to declare your worldwide revenue (whether or not any tax is eventually due to the French authorities).

2.  If you are over retirement age you are/might be entitled to health care via an E121 from the UK.

3.  1 and 2 are not interdependent.

Let the debate commence.

No need for debate, really........

The E121 is a European health insurance certificate and is not 'France' specific.  The criteria for issue is that one is in receipt of a defined UK benefit (old age pension, incapacity benefit, etc).  Foreign tax status is immaterial.

As per P & P, if they are resident in France, then that couple are obliged to declare their income here and possession of an E-form does not exempt them from this.  In not doing so, they have either been misinformed, or if not, then they seem content to evade their fiscal responsibilties.

hi

It is not an uncommon situation, I know of a number of expats who take such liberties, others are registered for tax but just declare a very small proportion of their wordly assets.  I know of no cases where such people have been taken to task for such illegal behaviour. 

But just because some get away with it doesn't mean it's right, or that everybody can avoid their obligations. Every country, and Britain and France are no exception, has some who choose not to (or are not knowledgeable enough to) live legally. Whether you get caught or not is a chance you take.

As far as France is concerned, the chickens will probably come home to roost should these people sell their house, and the capital gains tax system kicks in.

Under the French system interest is subject to CSG/CRDS/PS, with no minimum sums or allowances. Lump sums are subject to taxation too.

I suspect the chickens will be coming home earlier than that....

A decree was passed in April 2008 creating a national delegation charged with combatting fraud against the state.  The decree also provides for the setting up of departmental investigative bodies under the direction of the prefect.

The new mairie registration procedure requires all new foreign residents to be reported to the prefectures, so it will be difficult for future immigrants to avoid making a tax declaration. 

Furthermore, among the state functions committed to the exchange of information are the departement of social security and the impots.  Tax information is already shared between the impots and CAF and the assurance maladie (CNAM) is set to follow suit.  Everyone currently registered for state healthcare insurance is done so on the basis of residence (whether under an E106/E121 or otherwise) therefore they should have a corresponding exisiting tax reference.  It's not really rocket science to match up the two and spot the tax dodgers.....

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I suspect the chickens will be coming home earlier than that....

Everyone currently registered for state healthcare insurance is done so on the basis of residence (whether under an E106/E121 or otherwise) therefore they should have a corresponding exisiting tax reference.  It's not really rocket science to match up the two and spot the tax dodgers.....

[/quote]

This will also work in reverse. Anyone declaring tax here who have chosen not to join the French healrhcare system but are winging it with a UK EHIC will stand out like a sore thumb.

[quote user="bigears"]

hi

It is not an uncommon situation, I know of a number of expats who take such liberties, others are registered for tax but just declare a very small proportion of their wordly assets.  I know of no cases where such people have been taken to task for such illegal behaviour. 

[/quote]

I do, they were visited and 'warned' to regularize their situation toute suite

The owner of the property is required by law to fill in a detailed document (2044) detailing the tenants name, amount of rent, date of entry into the house, address etc. I guess that is how they manage to send the tax habitation bill to the correct person.

ams

hi

OK, sounds as if the french authorities might be thinking about getting  round to doing somerhing about it, until it happens and it becomes general knowlege expats will continue to abuse the system.  There are so many different types of abuse that I personally am aware of, the french authorities will have their work cut out.  To what extent do the french themselves abuse their own systems?  I don't get into such conversations with my french neighbours.  I presume they are not driving around in illegal foreign reg vehicles. 

There is a remarkably high number of French car drivers who may have the correct number plate, but without insurance, or driving licence. Or with a fake driving licence. Maybe someone can find out the figures, but it is staggering. The French abusing their own systems. are you kidding? It is a national sport.

[quote user="5-element"]There is a remarkably high number of French car drivers who may have the correct number plate, but without insurance, or driving licence. Or with a fake driving licence. Maybe someone can find out the figures, but it is staggering. [/quote]Just out of interest, how do you know?

Or, to put it another way; if you don't know the figures, how can you be staggered?

I don't think it's so surprising or shocking that many british immigrants don't register with the french tax authorities etc. How many of them read these forums? That's where I found out, and no-one I talk to among my friends in France belongs to such a forum. We might assume that we forum members are a good cross section of british immigrants, but I don't think we are.

If you are receiving a govt. pension, or british rents, as we were, tax is paid at "home", so you think that's it. It took us two years to find out.

From now on though things should be different if you have to register with your Maire when you arrive.

[quote user="allanb"][quote user="5-element"]There is a remarkably high number of French car drivers who may have the correct number plate, but without insurance, or driving licence. Or with a fake driving licence. Maybe someone can find out the figures, but it is staggering. [/quote]Just out of interest, how do you know?

Or, to put it another way; if you don't know the figures, how can you be staggered?
[/quote]

I know 'cos I have seen French TV programmes about this, read articles in French mags and papers, including police reports. They do quote figures, but I just  haven't memorized them.  Being French myself, I  hear a lot of stories from relatives and their friends. They all seem to concur.

SO....I am staggered every time I see/hear the figures quoted, and I promptly forget them. Will that do?

You could try this for a start:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2008/05/24/01016-20080524ARTFIG00062-de-plus-en-plus-de-conducteurs-roulent-sans-permis-.php