paying in cash at french bank

Fay

This may sound like a daft question, in which case, apologies.

I reluctantly had to buy a grand's worth of euros yesterday to replenish the French bank account, and discovered that my usually good currency brokers were hardly offering a better deal than the Post Office, plus I would have had to pay £27 to have the funds transferred to my bank - so the Post Office came out a fair bit cheaper on the deal.

So I will be collecting (slightly) over 1,000 euros from the PO today and want to pay most of it in to my branch of Caisse d'Epargne when I'm over straight after Christmas.

But I have been told that French banks are very iffy about accepting cash deposits - is this really true? Do I need evidence that I am not an international money launderer?

Thanks!

Fay

For €1k, I rather doubt that you'll be seen as one of those!

Paying in that sort of money shouldn't be a problem at all, especially as it's your own branch.  Now if it was a branch elsewhere in France, could be iffy.  I once wanted to credit my CA Britline a/c via a local branch down here.  "Normandie - where's that?"  Extra-terrestrial = 20kms up the road.

Don't know how common it is but my local branch (BPS) has a machine where you pay in the cash. Simply put your card in in, type the PIN, select which account and then drop the cash in the slot. Regularly pay in amounts up to €1k .

Funny thing happened the other week - took some cash out of the "hole in the wall" in the street - went into the bank to pay it directly into local account. Machine rejected 2 of the  €10 euro notes that their own cash machine had just payed out.

Think I should stick to internet banking.

Can't see why you should have a problem with the amounts you are talking about.

rgds

Hagar

Even then CA were happy to accept 5k in crisp 500€ notes when we openned our account - I didn't know about the 3k limit thjen and the branch manager said nothing about it either.  The only comment was from him that he had not seen these before, to which my answer was that I did not expect to see them again.[:)]

[quote user="andyh4"]Even then CA were happy to accept 5k in crisp 500€ notes when we openned our account - I didn't know about the 3k limit thjen and the branch manager said nothing about it either.  The only comment was from him that he had not seen these before, to which my answer was that I did not expect to see them again.[:)][/quote]

From my experience, I have the impression that the limit is closer to 7K.  We have a similar situation in the US (bankers required to report deposits of $10 and over), and I think that French banks are required to report at a similar level.

According to this site, for France transfer of sums of €10,000 and above have to be confirmed by the paying authority.  If brought in in cash they should be declared to French Customs

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/sujet-1120-voyage-a-l-etranger-et-douane-argent-et-especes