Warning to Nationwide Card users

Chancer

[quote user="Pads"]I still have not been told about this from my Nationwide bank , nor have I received a machine or been asked for one ? I feel very misssed out here ...[:(] [/quote]Don't, they are more a PITA than anything else. I'm more than capable of manging my money online without this layer of obstruction. If it were not for the fact that the A/C is so useful for other reasons believe me I'd be dumping them.

Baz, the NW web site is saying "insert card ending in xxxx" which is mine and there seems no way of changing this.

I don't have a Nationwide a/c but with my accounts elsewhere....  For joint accounts Mr A & I have different log in details. Mme EY would need to log in with her own security info to use her card.

If it's not a joint account but only a 'second' card that might not be possible.

Hope you get to the bottom of it before too many log in attempts.

That is the price that you pay Ernie for being able to withdraw twice as much a day as the rest of us [:P]

At first I thought that you had an offshore NW account but I am back with the plot now.

Why dont you do the transfer for her? - Ahaaaa you dont have a cardreader [I]

Better ask them for another reader.

All this technology does make life complicated n"est ce pas?

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Âme: It is a joint A/C with only one login.

[/quote]

I have a joint acc. with OH, but it is me who is reg to online banking, so it is my card that is asked for when I need to use the card reader, and I canot put in OH card!

And yes I agree with Baz the card readers are universal I have one each for Natwest and Nationwide and I can use either.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

I think you've probably put your finger on it Jacqui, now what to do about it in short order is the problem [blink]

[/quote]

If this is to happen again you will have to have Mrs. Ernie register herself online, she will be issued with a new login details and a card reader and then be able to use her own card.

No good in the sort term though!!

Now spoken to NW and Jacqui you are indeed correct, 'er indoors does have to register in here own right which seems preposterous and pointless for a joint A/C but there it is.

I was waiting for the dreaded words "just pop into your local branch" but thankfully it can all be done online [:D]

This may sound like a daft question - but what is a card reader??

I opened a NW flexi account, and then a savings account when I got on-line. They also gave me a credit card (how nice!!). I opened the said accounts, while back in the UK over Christmas, so that I could then use the cards in France (after reading here about all the great exchange rate deals [:)] , that and the fact that the Halifax is really p*****g me of at the minute, but that's another saga....) Anyway, nobody mentioned anything to me about a card reader. What is this? I have not yet tried to use my debit card for shopping or withdrawing money. When I do, will I be refused because I don't have a card reader thingy? Do I need to buy an even bigger handbag to carry round my very own card reader ??? [8-)][:-))][:-))] (and OH's card reader too by the sound of things)

I have read through this posting a couple of times, but I am none the wiser. I feel I want to bury my head and pretend I never read it, but it would be very embarrassing to have the check-out woman in the Auchan take all my shopping back because my card was refused [:$]

Firstly a card reader is only required on certain internet transactions. It is a small device into which you place your Bank, Credit or Debit card and then enter your PIN.  It then  generates a random code number which you are required to enter into your online banking transaction as a second line of defence against fraud or misuse of your cards. It is never required for any hole in the wall usage.

Baz

I have had my flex account for years and i ended up with a card reader and all the hassle for online transfers.  My OH opened a flex account 4 months ago including online banking and he has not got a reader nor do his transactions require him to use one.  Bugs me to hell as it is so much quicker not to use it.