Bill from SPANC

Hello

Please can anyone shed light on a bill I have just received for 51 euros, from SPANC? It gives no information as to why I am being charged this money, apart from saying "Diagnostic de l'existant". Does anyone know what it might be for?

Thanks

Pat

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

No, we were not there, it is our holiday home, and we recieved no notification of an inspection visit. Normally our neighbour would contact us if anyone had been to the house, and since the access to the fosse is between our house and his, I'm sure he would have noticed! All we have received is one sheet of paper,  from SPANC, no explaination of the charge, just "Diagnostic de l'existant", plus T.V.A. amounting to 51 euros. No report, or any indication of a report to follow.

I have seen previous posts about these inspections, but surely they would have to let me know they were coming, or can they just turn up?

Thanks again

Pat

[quote user="Pat76"]I have seen previous posts about these inspections, but surely they would have to let me know they were coming, or can they just turn up?[/quote]

Apparently they do; we were staying on holiday in a gite when a man turned up with a clipboard and asked if we were the owners? ... er, no, we're here on holiday ... He then carried out an inspection, noting things on his report sheet and asking us all kinds of questions about the fosse??

In the light of this I am of the opinion that it would be a good idea to ring their tel number and say that you would like a report before you pay the 51 euros.

Sue

I rather feel for you because our inspection was free;   I suppose it must depend on the commune.    Our SPANCs are financed by the communités de communes,   which in turn is being financed by a big hike in local business taxes.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Just a though but is it really from SPANC??

Me and my suspicious mind wonders if its just an official looking letter from some scallies hoping some people will pay up a relatively small sum.

[/quote]

I had the same thought which is why I suggested the OP should ring SPANC and ask for a copy of the report.

Sue

Hi again

Well, the letter certainly looks genuine, and the cheque is to be sent to SPANC, so perhaps we are just unlucky. No phone number, so we will be speaking to our neighbour before we pay it.

Thanks

Pat

Speak to your local Mairie because that who is SPANC work for/from.  Of course not every commune is the same but here if you ask for an inspection you do not pay but have to comply with the recommendations of the inspection, if they turn up to inspect to see that the fosse complies with the standard you pay a fixed inspection fee.

Hi again

We have spoken to our neighbour, who has told us that the  bill is indeed for an inspection of the fosse. His advice was don't rush to pay it, speak to the Mairie in the summer, so thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.

Pat