Car sale

Laurier

In selling a car, can we just hand over the documents, ie his copy of cession form, cancelled carte grise, sale contract, non gage, etc to the buyer for him to go to the garage to re-register it or do we have to also independently inform ANTS even if we don't go through the 'code' route? 

I know the procedure is to get a code to pass on to the buyer but most people seem to prefer to get a garage to do it.

I just wondered how we know that the buyer has, in fact, re-registered it?

Do we have to supply the buyer with OUR copy ID (passport) and justicatif of domicile or is that something just he has to supply to re-register?

Am just anticipating the easiest route and suspect the buyer will be the same!

Thanks for any info.

Laurier, it's about maybe 4 years since I sold my last car and I handed him the documents as you have described.  He'd already said he was getting Naurauto to sort out his registration.

I notified the insurer who then repaid the months of insurance not used.  Had a job getting the money instead of having the credit against the insurance of my next car.  But the latter bit has nothing to do with the sale, that just's the usual insurance feet dragging.

Thanks, guys.  We sold our caravan by just handing over the necessary papers but it was to someone we knew so felt we could rely on them to register it. 

I did wonder if someone we didn't know could be relied on to re-register it.

It's probably not as complicated as it seems so I suppose we could do our side, get the number, then give it to him and it's up to him how he does it, whether through ANTS

sorry pressed too quickly

through ANTS or through a garage.  I don't know if you can just hand over the papers and then advise ANTS without going through the code process.  I have been into the site to try and get info but unless your questions is on of the FAQ you can't get any joy. We miss the process at the Prefecture !  I could go to the Post Office but we should be able to do it ourselves.

I remember you saying, Dave, about an electronic signature so we have to work that out.

Thanks anyway for the input.

site and wonder if we can fill in the paper forms then download them, otherwise you have to have the buyer and seller together putting the info into the form online unless I am missing something.  That is not really convenient as OH's PC is in a corner of the bedroom ...

Sorry to sound so useless!