First sweet onions of the season

DaveLister

On 11/09/2023 at 10:53, Jamessmith0901 said:

One recipe you could also try with sweet onions is caramelized onion and goat cheese tart. Sauté sliced onions in a bit of butter until they are softened and caramelized, then spread them on a pre-baked tart shell with crumbled goat cheese and a bit of fresh thyme. Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tart are golden brown. Another option is to grill sweet onions and top with a balsamic glaze for a delicious side dish or burger toppings, this one is my all time favorite!

Hey Jammessmith, made your tart yesterday.  Only a try-out and I didn't follow all of your advice....but it still tasted lovely.

OK, didn't pre-bake the tart case....laziness is no excuse!

Added a little sugar to help caramelise the onions.  Used Brie because it was the only soft cheese in the house.  Added one finely chopped up glazed clementine (whole one, clémentine candite with yummy stickiness inside) as I thought I needed some zing which would have been provided by goat's cheese.  Nearly, forgot, when it came out the oven, I sprinkled on top sprigs of basil freshly cut from the garden.

Next time, I am not going to do a tart, just a big sheet of thinly-rolled out pastry and spread the goodies on top.

5 minutes ago, menthe said:

Hey Jammessmith, made your tart yesterday.  Only a try-out and I didn't follow all of your advice....but it still tasted lovely.

Added a little sugar to help caramelise the onions.  Used Brie because it was the only soft cheese in the house.  Added one finely chopped up glazed clementine (whole one, clémentine candite with yummy stickiness inside) as I thought I needed some zing which would have been provided by goat's cheese.  Nearly, forgot, when it came out the oven, I sprinkled on top sprigs of basil freshly cut from the garden.

Next time, I am not going to do a tart, just a big sheet of thinly-rolled out pastry and spread the goodies on top.

Hey Menthe, I'm glad you tried making the tart recipe I shared, and it sounds like you put your own spin on it. Adding sugar to help caramelize the onions and using Brie cheese instead of goat cheese are great improvisations. And the glazed clementine and fresh basil from your garden sounds delicious! I'll try your style next time.  Cheers!

8 hours ago, menthe said:

My next time will be with a strong blue cheese.  That should give it a bit of a......well, SOMETHING...!

Must go out and get more sweet onions.

By the way, I didn't have enough sweet onions last time.  Didn't think the onions would reduce so much.

Awesome, it's cool that you're giving the blue cheese sauce another go! I totally feel you about the sweet onions – they always seem to shrink down so much in the pan. Good thing you're getting more of 'em this time around. Best of luck with your next cooking endeavor, hope it turns out fantastic! 🙂

I have managed to correct all my former mistakes.  I made a big pastry case in rectangular form, had plenty of sweet onions caramelised, BAKED the pastry beforehand (essential stage and not to be missed) and it was really yum.

Quite an expensive tart because the candied clementines were expensive and I make the pastry using mascarpone cheese (would be cheaper to buy ready-made) but no bought pastry pleases me.  But it was worth the cost!😄

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/09/2023 at 14:42, menthe said:

Hey Menthe, Now you are making me to try it out even more. Will try it out though I am not a great chef 😁

It's really tasty and you will feel very proud when you serve it.  But do use blue cheese because the taste is superior.

If you can't make your own pastry you can always buy it ready made.

If possible something sweet (like my glazed clementine) adds that bit of contrast.  Otherwise I suppose even some citrus peel like you'd use in cake making will be OK.

bon apetit! 

I enjoyed the link, thank you, Norman.

I haven't heard of these céba but I have seen other sweet onions with their shape aplatie with pale yellow or white flesh.  I always look out for the sweet onions from the Cevennes and sometimes they are huge so that you can't use a whole onion if you are only cooking for two.

Further down your link, there is a recipe for an onion tart and I like that so much I might make one for the weekend.  I am doing a walk for Octobre Rose and it might be nice to come home to.

I am truly intrigued and would love to try them.  But where would you buy them? 

Norman, I don't suppose you fancy filling your barrel with these onions and hawking them around?  Please don't take offence, I am only joking.

Hélas no walk for me today.  It's blowing horizontal rain at 80kmh.....another day indoors trying to sort out banking and workmen problems...my absolute least favourable things to do.

• 3 months later...

I have returned to this thread so that I can tell you all about the wonderful pink onions now on sale at Aldi.  At least in the Aldi near me.

Pink and big as large apples.  I got a pack of 5 for 1€ 99 so must be that price for a kilo.

Roasted some with tomatoes and garlic in their skins for lunch.  Toms not much good to eat raw at this time of year but I yearn for tomatoes now and again.  Cooked this way with a sprinkling of sugar, then salt and pepper and some herbes de Provence and drenched in olive oil, they are very good.

The onions are sweet but still have that oniony pungence.  I wouldn't cut them into big rings and eat them raw but "passé au four" in nice big chunks, they are delicious.

Hope your Aldi sells them too because good onions are never really cheap and these have my seal of approval!

• Like 1