Don’t be. mayor in France, your house might be burnt down!

Mayor resigns his post after his home was destroyed by, apparently, by political opponents who objected to his opening a centre for asylum seekers near a primary school.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/politique/video-demission-du-maire-de-saint-brevin-les-pins-elisabeth-borne-se-dit-choquee-par-l-incendie-du-domicile-de-l-edile-et-promet-de-mieux-proteger-les-elus_5819318.html

Yes, along the coast from Nantes.  I posted a couple of years ago that some people not happy with the mayor here and their paperwork blew the doors off the office.  The explosion was heard all over the city.

This new one is an outrage.

There was a previous story about mayor that was stapled to a field by an unhappy constituent.

No wonder its difficult to find good people to do the job.

Democracy is fine, to a point. Elected politicians, be they Mayors or Presidents, once having tasted of power then do things that they should know ,  people who voted for them wouldn't like. It's called arrogance! Once in office they believe their 'mandate' entitles them to do anything they wish, in the name of democracy. Unfortunately tat persons likes, or dislikes, decisions etc should be taken with the electorate in mind; most often the electorate are totally ignored.

I doubt the Mayor or anyone else, including those on this site would want immigrants, mostly illegal, dumped in their village. Sure, blame the 'extreme right' that's the easy way out. The hypocrisy is quite sickening.

27 minutes ago, Ken said:

Democracy is fine, to a point. Elected politicians, be they Mayors or Presidents, once having tasted of power then do things that they should know ,  people who voted for them wouldn't like. It's called arrogance! Once in office they believe their 'mandate' entitles them to do anything they wish, in the name of democracy. Unfortunately tat persons likes, or dislikes, decisions etc should be taken with the electorate in mind; most often the electorate are totally ignored.

I doubt the Mayor or anyone else, including those on this site would want immigrants, mostly illegal, dumped in their village. Sure, blame the 'extreme right' that's the easy way out. The hypocrisy is quite sickening.

Yes, but...

Nothing justifies setting a home on fire (something that happened in March, but is only being reported now due to the Maire resigning). Or why not just put a tyre around their neck, and fill it with petrol?

I agree, nothing justifies those acts of violence but what I'm saying is that I can see the reason for such actions. People have to take responsibility for their actions. That includes criminals and politicians.

Unless the entire council is under the thumb of the Mayor it has to be a communal vote of the other members of the "conseil municipal" to carry forward an action. All minutes of the meetings are published on line.  All meetings are also open to members of the public to witness.  They cannot challenge the meeting, but they can, by their presence, indicate they are actively against something.

Also this would indicate it is not a power crazed mayor;

Interrogé fin mars, le maire de Saint-Brevin avait rappelé que 400 demandeurs d’asile ont été au total accueillis sur la commune depuis l’ouverture du Cada il y a sept ans. Et, soulignait-il, «il n’y a jamais eu le moindre souci».

We don't know if the council was 'under the thumb' of the Mayor or not, and it doesn't really matter! He would have made the final decision. Were the people of the village consulted concerning having immigrants dumped in their lap? I doubt it yet he was voted in to represent them and their views, it would seem he did neither. Instead we get this 'bogyman' thing about the extreme right again. French politicians make a great deal of 'emphasising' with the 'people' but only when it suits them!